Need help working out a setting - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Need help working out a setting

Need help working out a setting

Ok, first things first if you guys could take a look at this bit of background and let me know where it seems confusing or if things don't make much sense it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am having trouble coming up with the last two swords. So far I have:
The Master Blade
First wielded by Albion, then by his daughter Ariati.
The most perfect blade ever forged. No pictures remain but it was said to be of exquisite beauty and to be so sharp that it could cut through steel or stone without so mutch as scratching it's blade. It was lost during the Last Battle of the Blade War.

Treachery
Wielded by Tristfell.
It's original name is lost to the annals of time, now Tristfell's blade is remembered by the name of Treachery. A dark blade that is lost in the Empty Plains.

Hope
First wielded by Ariati, then by Raiden after she succedded her father. Now wielded by Shayden.
Of all of the blades it is the simplest in design, though it is a fine weapon none the less. It's presence seems to inspire an aura of courage.

Sanctuary
First wielded by Cray, now wielded by Alyssa. Cray was Albon's bodygaurd and when Ariati took up the role of queen he protected her too. His heart broke when Ariati asked him to let her face Tristfell alone. Sanctuary is a massive blade, big enough that most men can stand beind it. It is hard to land a blow against the wielder of Sanctuary.

Foresight
First wielded by Escher, now wielded by Tia Lam.
The shortest of all the blades, it is about the size of a knife though it's edges are equally dangerous as any of the other blades. It features a gem that reflects and refracts light in amazing patterns on it's hilt. The wielder of Foresight is granted the gift of prophecy - though some wielders have said it as much a curse as a gift.

Serenity
First wielded by Ahaq, now wielded by Flite.
Serenity's edges are not sharp, it is a weapon of peace and can never be used to kill. Around the blade, things seem calmer. It was Ashaq who most regretted the War of the Blades, being the least violent of them all but even he accepted that there where times when battle must take place.

Oblivion
Wielded first by Garec, now wielded by Levern.
Oblivion's tale is a tragic one - it is the blade of finnishing and endings. Each and every one of it's wieldeds have fallen in battle or suffered a violent death. It's orginal owner, Garec, was the strongest of the original 9. Only Albon ever beat him at hand to hand combat. In the Blade War more lives fell to Oblivion then to any of the other blades.

Illusion
First wielded by Teravac, now wielded by Magnus.
Illusion's appearances is not certain, as it is a blade of misconceptions and illusions. This weapon blurs the lines between reality and fantasy around the wielder. It has historically only been wielded by those who know at least a little or the arcane arts.

Another thing I'm wondering is how would religion work. Thankfully none of the players want to play a cleric. I wondered about Albon being revered as a god like figure but how would that work in terms of a religion? Or perhaps have no religion and just have clerics revere ideals.

And the last thing is, I'm not sure how to go about bringing back the royal line. Ariati and Raiden had a child no one knew about and their line has continued to the present. I'm not sure wether to make the rightful heir to the throne an NPC or say that one of the players is actually the long lost royal. What do you guys think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by impfireball View Post
Sounds a little cliche'd. I'm giving it a pass.
hmmm... not exactly what he asked for but ok.... impfireball quote above = fail

and to the setting: If its a matter of blades, all seem like genuinly decent ideas. If it comes down to your last two questions, then allow for your campaign to be lenient with religion. Ideals/gods could go hand-in-hand. as do most religions. and if your PCs are dominate in one ideal, take those blades into account, as this would be nice for your players to have either at the start or at later times in the game.

but, im a newish GM, so maybe impfire is right... oh wait! how about you do what will make it fun for your players.

Thank you Allarius. I had intended that the line is (at least for the past few generations) has been unaware of their lineage. In terms of the blades I had not given their origin much thought. Thanks

I think its a good, solid, old school concept for a world. There is nothing wrong with that.

Insofar as religion is concerned, I would keep it. If you want to make it simple, make it monotheistic. I find that players grasp that easier than a whole host of gods anyway. It's not hard to explain a cleric following the "Light" or "The Maker" or something to that effect. Dark clerics could follow a demon lord or something.

Politics! Very important to have those. Do the eight kingdoms get along? If not, why not? Make each distinct from the other, maybe following the personalities of one of the original followers. Maybe a couple don't like each other, another two are such close allies that their neighbors feel threatened, maybe one is in a civil war or need a crusade or something. Which is the richest? Which is the most populated? Who has the strongest military? That sort of thing.

Another idea for the blades and religion could be that each blade is linked to a specific domain or sub-domain of the gods or goddess that they reside over. Although the gods/goddess wouldn't have to be present in the world as the priests or followers could worship the blades as wondrous artifacts, which could give you a link to were the swords were crafted.

Also each blade seems to have a purpose and could be sentinel and communicate with his wielder thus affecting the wielder with their own agendas that were influenced by their original wielders.

As for having a Pc being the long lost heir, it can tie them into the story and could add different plot hooks, but it ultimately leads to the question what happens if that ruler that they are a heir to dies would you being able to handle all the new additions of keeping the group in one kingdom because of needing to run the kingdom and keep things afloat with a money equation?