Need a good opening for Scion campaign - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Need a good opening for Scion campaign

Need a good opening for Scion campaign

Hello,
Coming weeks I'm going to start a scion campaign with a couple of friends and I'll be the DM.
The group are decent rpers but they need a bit of time to 'warm up'. I'm looking for an opening that doesn't give them time to drop down into the 'awkward' silences they are prone to in the beginning. Something that drags them along. I have a couple of ideas but I'm wondering if any of you guys have any ideas or standard ways to begin a campaign.
Thank you for your time.

Is this a table top game? If so, start with a battle. Drop a big monster (size matters!) down on the table and let them start rolling dice. When they are like "WTF are we fighting this thing?" say "we'll get to that. Right now just fight it so it doesn't kill you."

Then tell them a brief bit about why they are there, and move onto the next encounter. Only every time you do an encounter, throw in some reason the PCs are motivated to be here. Maybe one of their wives / children / siblings are in danger, or they are looking for revenge for something. Give them each a unique reason, and maybe make a couple of the PCs know each other already. Just keep building on, but several encounters while you're doing it.