Want to GM but having writers block. - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Want to GM but having writers block.

I pray I'm not going to make any players mad with this post but here we go.

Don't hold yourself to some Shakespeare/Tolkien/Rowling standard of writing.

If you're a DM you can put almost any concept out there that has merit, improvise it for the most part, and so long as you apply common sense get a decent game going that will evolve over time.

Don't waste weeks of your life trying to design "the perfect pitch". It just doesn't work. At least not for me it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_Goddess View Post
I pray I'm not going to make any players mad with this post but here we go.

Don't hold yourself to some Shakespeare/Tolkien/Rowling standard of writing.

If you're a DM you can put almost any concept out there that has merit, improvise it for the most part, and so long as you apply common sense get a decent game going that will evolve over time.

Don't waste weeks of your life trying to design "the perfect pitch". It just doesn't work. At least not for me it doesn't.
I agree. What makes something work, I've found, is players who, consciously or not, want it to work. If they do, anything can work. If they don't, nothing can.

Rowling's a good example - terrible writing but way popular due to the world/themes/characters she created.
It's an idea so you don't even need to prepare a plot or characters, just get the world running alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
It's an idea so you don't even need to prepare a plot or characters, just get the world running alright.
It's not even necessary to get the world running, I've found. And thank goodness.