Anyone run a caravan based game - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Anyone run a caravan based game

Anyone run a caravan based game

Hi,

I want to run a game that focuses around the players being part of a caravan. Has anyone had any luck running such a game? Any reference out there that might help?

So far the only reference I could find was on Camel trains. Really cool info on how caravans are organized into strings of 18 camels tied to each other and how they traveled but does cover any details.

I've done it for a short term thing a few times. I found it heavy on NPCs, which can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it. Otherwise, it didn't have any specific peculiar challenges.

What kinds of details are you looking for? Is this about the day-to-day sorts of things? Provisioning? Something else?

Would be nice to have a game that isn't just "kill loot kill"....

while i have never had the pleasure to be in such a game but the "jade regent adventure path players guide" has some rules for caravans you might be interested in. the combat is a little blocky but the rest would be nice and easy to try out.

i'm afraid we need more details to be more helpful than what we have been. but i feel that a small party would be best for the style a caravan game would tend to fallow. good for an economic based game bad for a team of 4-6+ that want something more or even different....

The Jade Regent AP has caravaning as a sub-plot throughout the series, and its awesome. Some don't like the caravan rules within... I have to say I've modified them pretty heavily for my group.

That being said, the caravan itself is a fun part of the campaign, and the players seem to enjoy being part of it.

Also, the AP is incredible. It's got the most epic scope of any published adventure I've ever read, or especially played.

I want to do a game involving traveling nomads who follow adventurers around and take all the junk they don't want. Like nonmagical armor and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanaNari View Post
I want to do a game involving traveling nomads who follow adventurers around and take all the junk they don't want. Like nonmagical armor and the like.
I adore this.