March 29 Update: Third Time's the Charm - Myth-Weavers

March 29 Update: Third Time's the Charm

March 29 Update: Third Time's the Charm

We will be performing the system upgrade this Thursday, 29MAR2018, at 10 PM PST. The site is scheduled for only an hour of downtime while the upgrade is performed. If you have not checked your account email yet to ensure it is the correct one, please do so in the User CP before Thursday.

The test server and member base has been extremely helpful with finding some of the less common bugs and getting them fixed, and the test server will remain up all the way to the upgrade. If you would like to help, please visit the test server here and log in with your email and password. Bugs may be reported here.

Please see the original announcement here for more information: https://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=430646

A question. What is meant by "verified your account email"?

That is poor phrasing on my part, and I'm changing it now to be clearer. What is meant is, "Make sure you know which email is on your account and change if needed."

Thanks for the clarification. You had me worried that there was something extra I'd have to do like go through some sort of mechanism or something.

So, now that we have an announcement with a link to the test thread, I attempted to do a log in form work since tonight is a slow night so far.

And I tried the test server log in out.

And as I was afraid would happen, for whatever reason, the new update sets off works cyber security anti social media stuff. I'm not super technical, do not ask me how exactly they go about blocking social media sites, I don't know, I just know that big names like Facebook and Twitter are blocked hard, but up till now I was able to get away with MW. Except that the test server is indicating the Update is making that no longer the case.

I had to talk to my boss about it. And no, I cannot send you a screen shot of the exact message, were not allowed to take those when this error comes up. Its allegedly to prevent a hacker from figuring out from seeing the screen shot and figuring out how to get around it.

I don't know if that's how that works, just that that's what corporate has decreed, and that they sign my pay check.

@Sephirothsword117 I'm sorry that's the case.

The unfortunate reality is that what's best for the site and its future isn't always what's best for individual members. I realize that it doesn't seem like a fair value proposition to sacrifice ease of use of existing, active and contributing community members to service potential new users (as social login is something that primarily affects new registrations). That said, slipping under the radar of work restrictions was never really an intended 'feature' so much as an innocuous happenstance. The benefits provided to us via social login/registration, to say nothing of the rest of the architectural changes, are too great to continue to pass up.

Access restrictions to the site from work desktops highlights our need to service the mobile platform more effectively (read: at all). I know it doesn't help or solve the problem now, but it's something I'm actively working toward. It's my hope that better mobile support can provide broader access to Myth-Weavers character sheets, and that when combined with the thread and forum update emails already in place and new messaging and notification features, play by post can become a play style that's viable any where, any time - not just when in front of a desktop.

As much as it's about backing services and technologies shifting out from under us, this upgrade is a necessary stepping stone to get us where we're going. I hope that you, and others in a similar position, can appreciate that, even if I'm sure you don't like it.

@Bartmanhomer As many times as it takes.

as long as Mythweavers has their irons in the fire this time and I don't have to freak out because MW wont work at my designated session time I'm chill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
@Sephirothsword117 I'm sorry that's the case.

The unfortunate reality is that what's best for the site and its future isn't always what's best for individual members. I realize that it doesn't seem like a fair value proposition to sacrifice ease of use of existing, active and contributing community members to service potential new users (as social login is something that primarily affects new registrations). That said, slipping under the radar of work restrictions was never really an intended 'feature' so much as an innocuous happenstance. The benefits provided to us via social login/registration, to say nothing of the rest of the architectural changes, are too great to continue to pass up.

Access restrictions to the site from work desktops highlights our need to service the mobile platform more effectively (read: at all). I know it doesn't help or solve the problem now, but it's something I'm actively working toward. It's my hope that better mobile support can provide broader access to Myth-Weavers character sheets, and that when combined with the thread and forum update emails already in place and new messaging and notification features, play by post can become a play style that's viable any where, any time - not just when in front of a desktop.

As much as it's about backing services and technologies shifting out from under us, this upgrade is a necessary stepping stone to get us where we're going. I hope that you, and others in a similar position, can appreciate that, even if I'm sure you don't like it.

@Bartmanhomer As many times as it takes.
I want to be on record as saying that sacrificing ease of use, or use at all given that the bulk of the time I was able to be on the site in the first place was slow nights at work, for potential, meaning you have no actual assurances they will even show up, new members, is a bad plan.

I also want to be on record that "We want you to be able to use the site anywhere. So were going to sacrifice your ability to use it at all from the place your already using it in the hopes that you can use it." is also not a good plan. (Fun tidbit, the reason I'm not on my phone in the first place is that the area of the building I'm in is so badly set up, I can't get signal on it to get on internet or internet Apps. So, using it form my phone is out of the question. And your taking the desk top away form me.)

Also, the amount of typing and clicking, which I assume will be replaced with a touch screen, I'd be doing on a phone, makes it far more labor intensive, so it becomes even less convenient even if I can do it.

And there's also the small matter that in the middle of finding out in the news that Facebook has been keeping data for years that people didn't give permission for including phone call records, or keeping records of people who didn't sign up for the service just cause they had one person on there friends list who did, or people who didn't even have a facebook but got a phone call from someone who had the app on there phone, and several other major disasters with facebooks mismanagement of personal information that have come out in the last 2 weeks, I seriously have to question linking the site to there wagon like this. Seems like an immensely bad idea at this stage.

But alright, fine, your going to do it anyway.

And I'm probably going to try and struggle through the few ongoing games I've got running, and then see if I can find another PBP website that hosts character sheets. Cause this isn't going to work at all.

I haven't tested it, but there is a chance I may run into similar issues as Seph, (although I do have my phone as a backup, and check MW frequently from it, trying to post from a phone is horrible, and I avoid it at all costs, so it would certainly be disruptive).

I'm certainly no techie so maybe there's more to it that I don't understand, but would it be possible to have an alternate login page that didn't have the social media links/ties in it, and would that possibly avoid the issue? Or is the whole login now somehow so tied into those social media platforms that that wouldn't even be possible?