Eating Monsters (D&D 3.5) - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Eating Monsters (D&D 3.5)

People in the rainforest eat goliath tarantulas as a delicacy. They barbecue them. I hear they're quite tasty, although I've never tried one. I have done the live octopus thing though (too chewy, but tastes alright), and I've eaten grasshoppers (tastes just like popcorn). People can and do eat almost anything edible, all over the world.

Eating sentient animals may be a problem, if the brains are ingested. Eating brains causes prion disease, similar to Mad Cow. Simply eating the flesh of a sentient animal, I don't know. Pretty gross though.

I'd also suggest a Will save to eat something weird, followed by a Fortitude save if the Will save is failed. Fail the Fort save, you vomit -- not only do you not receive any sustenance, but I'd probably also nail the poor sucker with a point or two non-lethal damage. If you manage to successfully eat something disturbing, you'd probably not have to roll a saving throw next time you eat that monster, or you'd get a bonus to the throw at least. Characters that routinely eat their victims, like werewolves, would get bigger bonuses to their saves, and would often not have to save at all. At least that's how I'd rule it.

I've been reading through with mixed thoughts so far, until I realized this is likely going to prove very relevant to the post-apocalyptic campaign I am going to be running soon. Food and water are going to be scarce outside of the starting community so once characters stray from home and begin to wander I imagine hunger and thirst will soon present as an issue. I expect I will need a system to determine what is safe to eat, who can stomach it and also how to cook it. I like the idea of using cooking skills and saves to choke gross foods down and in some cases, more saves to try to keep it down. Actually eating something gross would be difficult depending on the lack of cooking skill.

In this campaign, cannibalism outside of the players starting community is rumored to exist; this is something that the average person would look upon with revulsion. Just because human is edible doesn't mean everybody could bring themselves to eat it, no matter how hungry they are.

Do you think a character should get multiple chances (saves) to try to eat something that is gross? For example say they were really, really hungry and the only thing around was
No examples please!!!
stomach-wrenchingly disgusting. If the character fails their initial save, then can't bring themselves to eat it but should they be able to re-try? I guess if there is a big penalty on the save it would be hard to bring oneself to eat it, but I think it should always be possible to try and re-try...

If the character is literally starving to death, I wouldn't ask for a save to eat something nasty but otherwise edible. Hunger is an incredibly strong motivator; if you get hungry enough, eventually you'll eat it.

If you're just hungry but not yet in actual danger? I'd give multiple attempts, yes. Perhaps an attempt every hour or something like that.

What about 1 race eating another? If you were a less common tribal race, could you eat another race? For example, im playing a raptoran and we are about to finish killing an encampment of orcs. Would it be acceptable for a elf (Raptorans are altered elves) to eat orc? in our campaing, humans are the only non tribal race.

DK begins casting Raise Thread!

Ok, what would one need to do to safely prepare a day old swarm of diseased rats?

This character was alowed to cook darkmantle by repeatedly striking it with eldritch blasts from a c/g diety.

DK begins casting Raise Thread!

Ok, what would one need to do to safely prepare a day old swarm of diseased rats?

This character was alowed to cook darkmantle by repeatedly striking it with eldritch blasts from a c/g diety.

If the rats are disease-carriers, then eating them will cause immediate exposure to the disease regardless of how well they've been cooked, almost certainly increasing the Fort DC by 2 (ish, depending on the disease) since it's bypassed a number of the outer anti-bacterial and anti-viral agents of the body by going straight to the stomach. The day-old part doesn't help matters.