Rise of the Runelords - 5e - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Rise of the Runelords - 5e

Rise of the Runelords - 5e

Hi all!

I am sure this discussion will have been had on here at some point before, but I can't find anything.

I am considering running the Pathfinder AP Rise of the Runelords for D&D 5e - has anyone seen this done before?

Also, generally, how do Pathfinder APs play in PbP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigmacc View Post
Hi all!

I am sure this discussion will have been had on here at some point before, but I can't find anything.

I am considering running the Pathfinder AP Rise of the Runelords for D&D 5e - has anyone seen this done before?

Also, generally, how do Pathfinder APs play in PbP?
I am running a 5e RotRL game both in real life and in pbp, it works well, I actually custom create the creatures from scratch to match closely with the pathfinder ones as far as flavor goes. I have also run 3/4 of Curse of the Crimson Throne in 5e on the tabletop and it has worked very well also.

The main thing I have learned is to use the 5e encounter calculator. You want the encounter CR's to match, not the individual monsters. Sometimes it takes more, sometimes less.

I have converted the first three books entirely along with the players guide.

Throw out all magic items that don't exist in 5e, Lower all +1 weapons and armor, etc by 1. So they won't find a +1 weapon until a +2 shows up in the books (it will be a while). Cut all money and value of items found in half.

Thanks bwatford! That's really useful. There is alot of info online about the conversion, different people's opinion on how to do it etc.. It's really interesting!

I hadn't heard that tip about the CR though. It makes sense since the two systems are so different in that regard. So a CR 2 encounter in 5e is as challenging as a CR 2 encounter in PF? Its just that the number of monsters in each is different, right?

Wow, that conversion must have taken an age!

The stuff posted online about conversion is garbage. If you use the method in the DMG (Page 274) you will clearly see that any creature converted to 5e by using the methods posted online do not fall anywhere within the guidelines of the section of the DMG for creating creatures. If you use those methods the party will cakewalk the AP.

Use the DMG. Creatures in 5e need way more hitpoints and their attacks scaled higher than in Pathfinder in general as you are eliminating so many things (feats, etc.)

I will give you an example conversion, I always use the 5e monster maker to help.
http://thegeniusinc.com/dd-monster-maker-download/

Since we are talking about RotRL lets look at the Sinspawn.

Pathfinder Version:

5e Version

Both creatures are CR 2, but vastly different between systems. But both are still the same creature, just with different mechanics. I built the 5e sinspawn step by step from the DMG.

The 5e sinspawn should be an average encounter for a party of 4 level 2 characters. It would be hard/deadly for level 1 characters, and easy for a group of level 3 characters.

Just read that section of the DMG. I can see that it wouldn't be so much of a chore to convert each enemy to 5e using that method. Thanks for the advice!