Rappan Athuk: 5e or Pathfinder - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Rappan Athuk: 5e or Pathfinder

View Poll Results
Which System?
Pathfinder 1.0 19 47.50%
Dungeons and Dragons 5e 21 52.50%

I've started Rappun Athuk three times. Twice the game was abandoned by the DM and once we had a total party kill when one PC made the wrong call. There's not a lot of room for mistakes. I'd love to rebuild my old skinwalker alchemist and give it another shot.

So interested! And as someone who's played both systems, I just prefer the relative simplicity of 5E, where it's kinda hard to get a character build wrong, and unoptimized PCs can keep up with others in the party.

I've been in RA four times now. Each time for very short durations.. not once levelling up. I was in Ploogle's 2nd iteration which died some weeks past.

Yep, there's this. My understanding is that it's systemless, so although the description says Pathfinder and Swords & Wizardry it should work for 5e too.

A while back I was a Rise of the Runelords game in 5e. It was a Total Party Kill in the first dungeon. Pretty sure it wouldn't have been in Pathfinder. My impression is the power level of 5e characters is below that of Pathfinder characters... so you might want to be careful what you wish for.

Would love this as a pathfinder game.

I have an unchained monk build that I'd like to toss into a game.

One thing, as a heads up, in D&D 5th Edition or in Pathfinder, the PCs have to leave the Rappan Athuk to sell and buy real, significant upgrades to their equipment. The local 'hamlet' is just a place to rest their heads and a starting spot, without the resources for, like, 10th-level items.
The road that runs through Rappan Athuk connects two major cities that the PCs will have to go to offload their loot...
...but if you're planning on using the expansion, I think they can get a base of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOasysMaster View Post
One thing, as a heads up, in D&D 5th Edition or in Pathfinder, the PCs have to leave the Rappan Athuk to sell and buy real, significant upgrades to their equipment. The local 'hamlet' is just a place to rest their heads and a starting spot, without the resources for, like, 10th-level items.
The road that runs through Rappan Athuk connects two major cities that the PCs will have to go to offload their loot...
...but if you're planning on using the expansion, I think they can get a base of some sort.
It is actually (looking at the Lost Lands: Borderland Provinces map) roughly 300 miles from Zelkor's Ferry to the closest sizeable city, it is called Eastwych and has a population of 26,204 people. Zelkor's Ferry (the starting backwater hamlet) has a population of 20 or so, plus all of you. lol

So at best roughly 12-15 days travel in heavily dangerous un-patrolled terrain of Eastreach Province to reach civilization.