Notices

Metropolis Needs a New Hero!

Old Jan 4 '19, 2:25am
The Saint of Saints

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Metropolis Needs a New Hero!

Hero High: Young Justice - Forum
Mutants and Masterminds 3e

I will not be choosing on a first come, first serve basis but I am going to choose within a week of this ad going up. Remember, I only have room for one new player right now. If you applied originally to this game and are still interested, jst bump your original application so I know you're interested.

Game is currently in progress and is a few issues in. Will celebrate it's first birthday next month too so you know it's a healthy game!

System: Mutants and Masterminds 3
Power Level: 9
PP: 130
Expected Post Rate: 1 post every other day
Players Needed: 1

Limitations: I do not allow the variable power structure at all or metamorph as these are just powers that get around normal PP limits. In addition, I judge entire concepts rather than individual powers but a few guidelines do apply. First, I'm okay with movement powers such as flight and teleport but I will not be okay with group variations of this. For example, you could play a teleporter who can maybe stunt to take someone else with him but not a teleporter who can routinely port the entire team around. Same with a flyer so strong he can fly everyone around.

I don't limit things such as regeneration or healing but I do judge them as part of a package. For example, a healing factor isn't broken on Wolverine. It makes him what he is. That same healing factor on Storm is just absurdity. So basically, don't try to power game this. If you try to make Superman, you probably won't get in the game - of course he's gone in this game but you get the point! If your character looks like a walking win-button or plot device...

The reason the PP doesn't quite match the PL is because I like players having to make decisions. If you wanted to play a wizard hero with tons of cool utility powers, you couldn't afford to also max out all your combat traits. In this game's sister game, some players settle for a +5 to attack or toughness while others have high combat stats but few utility powers. I'll post a link to them later since this is a shared world.

You do not need 'diplomacy' skills or things like Attractive. I think these things should all be a matter of flavor unless being supremely attractive is part of your concept, like a succubus character or some sort. No DAMAGE effect can have an area modifier attached to it, nor can rank 2 Takedown be taken. I do this to make fights against minions actually matter instead of them being one action wins. You can stunt these abilities later, if the scene calls for it. I'm a huge fan of power stunts.

I do not use initiative rules so... don't waste the PP.

What I'm looking for:

A player who will RP their character and be willing to develop that character and get them involved in the story. I'd love to find a player who will take initiative and engage with other characters in the game. Even if the story seems to be focused briefly on another character, that's no reason to turn into a robot! Lean into it! Make the story also be about you!

My ideal player will post consistently and try to solve problems without asking me to solve them for you. A player who will take what's happening in the game and draw their own conclusions, not wanting to be fed the plot in an exposition post.

Big questions go in the OOC thread. Application specific questions and discussions go in the sub-forum. You're welcome to talk to each other about your applications but, as a courtesy, if someone doesn't seem to want your input, leave them alone.

And thanks for applying!

Suggested Reading
Current Players
The Game Forum
Applications

Game Description:

Welcome to Happy Harbor!

I'm a Young Justice nut so very interested. I was thinking of a "reverse-Hulk" character: a physically-imposing normal who works as a nightclub bouncer, but after exposure to radioactive chemicals, he can transform into a super-genius. The focus of his smarts would be Technology. I'd probably build talent powers revolving around usage of Eidetic Memory and Jack-of-All-Trades, but with the 'check required' flaw attached. I'm working on something of a 'Weakness Detection' ability as well.

He'd be a chatty, street-wise young adult with some low-level Connections for information purposes. His personality would be normally soft-spoken but humorous, but also forceful when he needs to be. When he 'gets smart', he's more outspoken to the point of overbearing, but intuitively understands he's a super-nerd in a world where he still needs to watch his step.

I've had the character in my head for a few years and I'm anxious to see how he plays in the 'real world'. This setting seems ideal, if he makes the cut.

How do you feel about PCs having dependents (he might have a disabled parent he looks after daily)? How do you feel about 'brainiacs' and how super-genius is represented in-game? My inspiration for the character comes from both the Hulk and DC's Mr. Terrific. Something of a hybrid who has two completely different levels of consciousness. I'm interested in how he might dislike "only" being truly special when he's smarter, and how being smarter has him view his normal life.

Sort of like he wears the mask inside. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Saint View Post
Sure but we both know 'what they intended' and 'what players actually do' rarely matches up.
Well sure, I guess all I was saying was that the effects themselves can be abused, or they can be used just fine (rather like all the other effects) - especially in a game like M&M which fobs most of the responsibility off to the GM. But anyway, there aren't too many character concepts dependent on Metamorph, I guess.

Anyway. I've been wanting to play some M&M for a while, but I'm not sure what sort of character would be good for this game. I'm not really a massive fan of DC to be honest but a) you're not using the full extended universe and b) you killed Superman, both of which are plus points if you ask me.

I figure I'll ask this here before making a whole thread (to be able to better make a cool thread title):

I love playing speedsters. However, I'm not sure I'd have the knowhow to play Wally West/Kid Flash in any iteration. Perusing the game thread, I saw mention that the Flash is in a coma--is it possible to use that in making a character, i.e. the Speed Force bestowed some portion of power upon a "teenager with attitude" in order to ameliorate the lack of Flash being able to exert its influence on the world?

The character, thus, would be pretty new to the scene, depending on how long Flash has been in a coma (heck, if the Flash hasn't been in a coma for long, the small amount of time may even make this angle infeasible). I'm not entirely sure of the feasibility of this, but to differentiate him a bit from Barry Allen's backstory, my guy was in college going for a Criminal Justice major, but he stumbled on a pretty shady thing on campus (to be determined specifically). He stuck his nose into it, and his investigative chops let him get to the bottom of it, but it turned out that doing so got him a one-way ticket to being expelled from the university.

He's been making his way with a few odd jobs here and there, and recently managed to put in ads into various papers as a pseudo-PI--maybe he'll be able to pursue his dream of being a detective that way? His recent Speed Force-ening has mixed results: super-speed has helped immensely in investigating stuff, and superpowers in general are just so damn nifty. On the other hand, his metabolism is insane, and he barely has enough money to keep himself from starving every second of every day; plus, there's the whole "having a conscience" thing, where he feels he has to use his powers for more than just his own little PI endeavors.

Does that sound doable? Any major oversights or sticking points that you can see?

The fight that put the Flash in a coma actually created a few speedsters already so sure! Weather Wizard and Flash's lightning created a kind of Speed Storm - as the news calls it - and at least 4 speedsters have appeared between the two games - 2 PCs and then Mas y Menos - resulting from being struck by that lightning.

So how much fluff we have/need for DC In general?
I only ask because I have a ideal for a character.

But it basically requires Cadmus to be a thing, and to be pretty dickish in the "Cloning people for the lulz" area.
_________
Edit: Oh I see you actually have a super boy place holder?
-I think it would be more effective if I just actually give my Character ideal here...

--Ideal: Project Cadmus: So Cadmus has a long history of cloning people. Among others being Superman/Lex=Superboy. Supergirl=I can't remember her name.
-So my ideal would simply be.

Cadmus makes a kryptonian/Tamaran clone. (So I mean technically that's like... 3+3=6 separate people they can draw from at the very least.) There ideal being that Tamaran's (Depending on the version of DC we are in) Actually absorb and project back out solar radiation and that if use charged one with say.... Red Sun energy, it would effectively be a Anti-Kryptonian Tank Destroyer.

I'm also going to say that the experiment totally didn't work. And then maybe work really loosely for a explanation on how my character got away from the project. If that will work I'll go do a application.

Wtf Molly? French Girl?

So I knew it was you before I saw you say it. You said 'ideal' instead of 'idea' and that was something you did every single time you used the word so my brain went straight to that memory.

So ANYWAY, Cadmus exists but... nobody is supposed to know that yet so don't tell anyone. Obviously none of the players will read this thread, right?

Superboy exists because of that.

I'm using, loosely, the CW DC universe born from the Flash/Arrow/Legends TV shows though I did just add the Superman stuff into it because... I needed to. It's not entirely faithful but I didn't want people to be bogged down by 80 years of published material.

I've never acknowledged a Tamaran in either of the sibling games but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It just means they've never come up before. I'd want to know your plan. Is it a Starfire clone meant to kill Super People or a hybrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Saint View Post
So ANYWAY, Cadmus exists but... nobody is supposed to know that yet so don't tell anyone. Obviously none of the players will read this thread, right?

Superboy exists because of that.

I'm using, loosely, the CW DC universe born from the Flash/Arrow/Legends TV shows though I did just add the Superman stuff into it because... I needed to. It's not entirely faithful but I didn't want people to be bogged down by 80 years of published material.

I've never acknowledged a Tamaran in either of the sibling games but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It just means they've never come up before. I'd want to know your plan. Is it a Starfire clone meant to kill Super People or a hybrid?
The plan was a Hybrid, meant to kill super people. So like..
50% Starfire/50% -insert any kyriptonian DNA-
Actually I suppose there is more then one Tamaranian around.

Side note: I actually DO use idea/ideal correctly much more now. My English is better.. but still not great.

I was kind of thinking a Hybrid Experiment, that Cadmus was pretty disappointed in. Didn't pick up the abilities they wanted the hybrid to, and made a clone that was at least from a pure power standpoint, not as impressive as either of it's parent races.

Honestly: If I had my choice. I would go with Blackfire over starfire. Just because I was thinking of black hair.
But.. I mean every male Kyrptonian we have has black hair.

Actually I don't even think I would bother stating who the DNA Doners where in the backstory. I'm planning on being much vauger then that. The character not really knowing much about Cadmus, much about Kyptionian or Tamaranians. Even if they knew they where a hybrid of these two races, I don't think Cadmus would have ever told them who they got the DNA from.

You should post in the forum with a write-up then!