Steampunk Mars - Recruitment Thread

Old May 30 '11, 3:08pm
Unca GM Ack

Steampunk Mars - Recruitment Thread

Steampunk Mars - Forum
GURPS - Alternate History
Estimated Members Requested: 1

This is a steampunk game, set on Mars in an alternate 1921. Technology is steam-powered and clockwork; gleaming brass and intricate cogwheels replace plastic and electronics. Space travel is set at TL5+4; the British Empire favours Nikola Tesla's elegant Ethercraft - sealed wooden ships sailing the void under sails crackling with a cold blue energy - while the United States prefers Edison's Electro-Magnetocraft, using pulsed electromagnets to repel the magnetic field of one world while attracting another.

Other technology is lower, averaging TL5+2, while weapons technology is TL5+3.

The general attitude of the world has not really changed in the last forty years; Victorian attitudes still hold, at least for those born and bred in the British Empire. Americans are still brash and loud - not much change there, apparently. Other nations are desperately playing catch-up with begged, borrowed or stolen technology with which to reap the riches of Mars.

I will be accepting about 6 players.

Characters will start with 175 points, with -50 points in disadvantages, and -5 in Quirks.
Specific disadvantages which require dramatic behaviour may (given GM permission) be taken over the -50.

Cinematic advantages will be allowed on a case by case basis.

Direct all questions to the GM.

Game Description:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ster/logo1.jpg
The year is 1921 - another 1921.

Forty years ago, a young scientist called Nikola Tesla proved the existence of a force he called the 'luminiferous ether', but he had not the funding to do anything about it - then.
Thirty-one years ago, he achieved his dream, launching the first ship designed to sail between the worlds.
Twenty-four years ago, the ethercraft Britannia Ad Astra visited Mars for the first time. The planet was found to be both hospitable to life - and inhabited.
Sixteen years ago, the first wave of explorers, colonists, scientists and prospectors was on the way to Mars. They found wonders and glories beyond belief. They found dangers and perils. Some found death. This deterred few.
Eleven years ago, spiralling national tensions, exacerbated by clashes in orbit and beyond, drove Europe and the world beyond into the Great War, some say years earlier than it would otherwise have happened.
Five years ago, the Great War ended. Even on Mars, officially neutral territory, skirmishes had broken out here and there. For some, the tensions remained. For some, the war never ended.

Now:
Colonies dot the surface of Mars; few and far between. Scientific expeditions try to unearth the secrets of this ancient world.
Alongside dried-up canals, fabulous ruined cities and towers of crystal and glass await their long-dead inhabitants.
The landscape is far too rugged for road travel except for short distances, so airships are the only way to travel.
Taciturn natives go about their enigmatic business, acknowledging humans only to warn them away from the ruins.
Untold mineral wealth awaits those who can just dig in the right spot.

Danger, wealth, adventure and romance await you on Mars. Do you dare? Do you dare not?

Last edited by Ack; May 30 '11 at 3:10pm..
Yeah, generally they'll be prone to help her back to her father, no matter whether she wants to go there or not.

*sigh* What's the minimum age to be not considered minor anymore? It has gone up and down considerably in the 19th and 20th century iirc.

Also does every female char have to have the social stigma, or is there a way around it? Widow isn't realy fitting my idea though. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krys View Post
*sigh* What's the minimum age to be not considered minor anymore? It has gone up and down considerably in the 19th and 20th century iirc.
I think she may still have a problem if she looks underage. Everyone would thinks she's lying just to get to stay.

It's a 19th century thing. Women were considered 'valuable property', not allowed to vote, not allowed to own their own property, etc.

Actually, the 'age of consent' then was 16, so if you're that age or over, you are no longer a minor.

As for being a female, about the only way to escape that trap was to pretend to be a man. Some did, quite successfully. (Of course, then you have a Secret ... so it goes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ack View Post
So I don't really think the Xenology skill can really be opened up yet ...
Ok, I'll move the points to Criminology then.
Meaning that the last sentence in the third paragraph of the backstory changes from:
'On the ship over he studied up on the Martians quite a bit, although he has not yet learnt the language.'
to:
'His infiltration of the criminal classes (in order to study them under, as it were, field conditions) was not at all appreciated by the forces of the law. Phrases such as 'criminal mastermind', 'a modern day Moriarty' and other such foolishness were tossed about by the constabulary and the press, prompting his decision to leave that field of study behind him.'

/Jonas

*snicker* But don't we play in 1921? During the great war (makes it a difference which great war it was?) women where needed to keep the factories going. Womens suffrage was introduced in Germany 1 year after the end of the great war, in Sweden 3 years after... In the UK they where granted limited suffrage at the end of the war, but it took another 10 years to get the same conditions as male voters. In the USA womens suffrage was codified in the 19th amendment 2 years after the end of the war.

So what I'm saying is: the concept of second class citizen should be half/almost gone. Or better: only a large minority is clinging to it.

Somehow I don't think they'd use that particular phrase, as the Sherlock Holmes stories are still currently being published (Conan Doyle is currently researching one to be set on Mars).

But the War never really happened on Mars in any real way, so the attitudes of the 1890s are still in effect ...

*grummel brummel* OK, who else is gotta play a suffragette with me? Gotta show that back in the woods colonist bimbos what "Frauenpower" is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ack View Post
Somehow I don't think they'd use that particular phrase, as the Sherlock Holmes stories are still currently being published (Conan Doyle is currently researching one to be set on Mars).
True. Hmm, not as good a fit, but, 'a modern-day Charles Peace' will just have to do then. (Charles Peace was a musician and cat burglar (and at the end of his 'career' a murderer), whereas Oliver is more likely to have taken a 'brain' role in a gang.)

/Jonas