4E Feats Conversion and Creation - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

4E Feats Conversion and Creation

AH-HA!

Talisman of Fortune, Level 15 item (AV, p178)
Power (Daily): Lose 1 healing surge, or take damage equal to one quarter of your maximum hit point total if you have no
healing surges remaining. Gain one extra daily use of a
magic item in your possession (your choice, not including
the talisman of fortune) until the end of the encounter.
You also renew the power of the talisman.

There's a bit more to this item, but that's the relevant bit. Precedent for burning 1/4 max HP when out of healing surges to power a magic item.

Oh, so basically this feat would just replicate magic items? hmmm, that's not so good. Maybe we need to go back to the drawing board or scrap it.

I like the wording of the item -- could we change it enough to make it a feat?

When I wrote the 3.5 feat, the idea was to create a way for a magic user to pull from his will to use his magic, at great cost. I envisioned it a heroic way to die, calling on his last reserves to send a fireball that fries the marauding troll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farland View Post
Oh, so basically this feat would just replicate magic items? hmmm, that's not so good. Maybe we need to go back to the drawing board or scrap it.
Perhaps not...

Keep in mind that one must acquire the magic item in order to use it. Some folks would rather have the feat, others the magic item. The specifics behind the choice depend on the build.

OH! IDEA!

Why not take a page from the Artificer Playtest? Artificers can, after a short rest, recharge an expended magic item's daily power - allowing that power to be used more than once per day.

How's this sound?
Magical Reserves
Prerequisite: Arcane power source? Wizard class?
I'm not sure about this. There's already a certain amount of "every PC can do amazing things" in 4E; you don't need to have an arcane power source to identify most magic items. Still, it seems a nice boost for wizards & warlocks.
+
Effect: At the end of a short rest, spend a healing surge. Instead of regaining HP, you recharge the daily power of a magic item.

Limits on use? Wizards tend to have very few healing surges. Con-based Warlocks have a few more, but nowhere near a Fighter or Paladin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMorganes View Post

How's this sound?
Magical Reserves
Prerequisite: Arcane power source? Wizard class?
I'm not sure about this. There's already a certain amount of "every PC can do amazing things" in 4E; you don't need to have an arcane power source to identify most magic items. Still, it seems a nice boost for wizards & warlocks.
+
Effect: At the end of a short rest, spend a healing surge. Instead of regaining HP, you recharge the daily power of a magic item.

Limits on use? Wizards tend to have very few healing surges. Con-based Warlocks have a few more, but nowhere near a Fighter or Paladin.
That sounds fine. Should we pre-empt artificers, though? maybe we should make it more costly, like spend two healing surges?

I think 1 power surge is a little weak. I'd suggest 2 or even 3. Otherwise, it is cool.

But if we do this for wizards, shouldn't we do a version for all of the other classes in the sake of consistency and balance? Also, it isn't noted, but this should definitely be a paragon feat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
I think 1 power surge is a little weak. I'd suggest 2 or even 3. Otherwise, it is cool.
I sort of agree, in the interest of not pre-empting artificers.

Quote:
But if we do this for wizards, shouldn't we do a version for all of the other classes in the sake of consistency and balance? Also, it isn't noted, but this should definitely be a paragon feat
I don't think that's a problem per se, since many feats seem to be class specific. But we could go with "spend a quarter of your maximum healing surges" to recharge a power (or something similar), as we were batting around above. That way it would apply to all classes.

It seems the following feats are the versions agreed upon so far (I made some modifications). Can people please go through and give me another round of criticism, or sign off on these? Thanks.

FeatsArcane Thriftness
Epic Tier Feat
You have learned how to be frugal when it comes to casting rituals.

Prerequisites: Ritual Caster Feat
Benefit: Reduce the component costs of all rituals by 10 percent.

Racial Diversity

Heroic Tier Feat
You have spent a significant portion of your upbringing with a race other than your own.

Special: This feat may only be selected at Level 1.
Benefit: Choose a race. You count as that race in addition to your own for the purposes of meeting prerequisites for feats. You do not gain any other benefits that race would have gotten.

Exceptional Healer
Heroic Tier Feat
Your powers of healing are amazing.
Benefit: Increase your healing surge value by 2.

Avoidance
Paragon Tier Feat
You are good at avoiding specific enemies.
Prerequisites: Dex 17
Benefit: As a minor action, choose an enemy that you can see. You gain a +1 feat bonus to AC and Reflex against that enemy until the start of your next turn. You can only use avoidance against 1 enemy at a time.

Overwhelming Critical

Epic Tier
You know how to use your chosen weapon to devastating effect.

Prerequistes: Devastating Critical Feat
Benefit: When you score a critical hit, you deal an extra 2d8 damage instead of the 1d10 damage granted by the devastating critical feat.

Magical Reserves

Paragon Tier Feat
You can draw upon your inner power to recharge your magical items.
Prerequisite: Ritual Caster
Effect: At the end of a short rest, spend a quarter of your maximum healing surges. If you do not have enough healing surges, you lose hit points equivalent to your healing surge value for each healing surge you lack. Instead of regaining HP from spending healing surges, you can recharge the daily power of a magic item in your possession. You may recharge an item of your level or lower. An item may be recharged only once per day.

Shield Focus

Paragon Tier Feat
You skills with a shield are amazing to behold.

Benefit: When taking the total defense action and using a shield, choose an enemy you can see. You gain resistance equal to your shield bonus to AC against all attacks by that enemy.

And did we come to any conscensus about improved dodge?

Arcane Thriftness -- there were concerns about this feat being abused. Maybe if we excluded item creation?

Improved Dodge -- Concern was expressed about 'stackable' bonuses. I'd suggest reducing it to +1, then +2 at 21st level -- and making the bonus a 'feat' bonus rather than a 'dodge' bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Arcane Thriftness -- there were concerns about this feat being abused. Maybe if we excluded item creation?
Question: At epic tier, will money still have value to a PC? Of course, a 10% cost reduction is the only way an enchanter character will ever be able to sell his items for a profit. I have the same concern with alchemy.