Alien Characters - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Alien Characters

Alien Characters

I was wondering about how making an alien works, is there a certain spectrum of things you have to invest points into or is it mostly just fluff? for example say i wanted to make a character whose skin is an orange-ish yellow-ish color and their hair is light as a feather and translucent

It's mostly a descriptor. If they are obviously different, like you describe, that'd probably be a Complication.

If there's no mechanical benefit to orange skin and feather-hair, then there's no cost to it. That's how M&M works.

okay how about a ummm... a flame throwing walking fish who can only breathe in water. (good to know for that info thanks guys ^^)

Hm, interesting. The flame-breath would likely be something like Damage [Rank] (Extra: Area/Cone [General]). I'd build the aquatic bit as a Drawback, then give them a suit or respirator that bought the Drawback off.

Of course that's assuming that the campaign takes place above the waves. If it's all underwater, then only being able to breathe underwater isn't all that remarkable.

You're getting into some of the technicalities of the system. M&M assumes you're beginning with a human-like character -- bipedal, vision based, two arms, two legs, one head, et cetera. When you start messing around with assumptions, things start getting more complicated.

If the assumption of the campaign is that everyone starts as a fish, with no limbs capable of manipulating objects, then buying extra usable limbs would be done using the Additional Limbs power. If the assumption is that everyone starts human, than building a fish with human-like appendages would not cost anything else.

okay thats really useful to know, pretty much all it would be basically is fluff unless they had more than 2 of the same limb. horns and all that other stuff doesn't matter, just fluff.

Immunity to suffocation underwater, IE the ability to breathe underwater, would still be immunity 1, though.