Leadership, Followers, and Cohorts - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Leadership, Followers, and Cohorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viletta Vadim View Post
...a harem...
This could get problematic once your Leadership score gets to 14 or higher. Sure, it may sound cool to have an epic-level sorcerer with a Leadership-obtained harem of over 130 women, but I imagine it wouldn't be as awesome in practice (especially if some of them are particularly devoted to the sorcerer or feel they're being ignored... could get messy).

On the other hand, it gives me an idea for an NPC to use in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Firkraag View Post
Are you talking role-play reasons for taking leadership or mechanical advantages? Roleplay reasons are legion, though it requires a hell of a lot of work to pull off well. Mechanical advantages are there, but generally not worth the effort, since the DM just needs to bring in that many more mooks to fight your mooks or what have you.
Sending hordes of low levels guys to kill hordes of undead while you battle the Necromancer does sound kind of cool though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFighter15 View Post
This could get problematic once your Leadership score gets to 14 or higher. Sure, it may sound cool to have an epic-level sorcerer with a Leadership-obtained harem of over 130 women, but I imagine it wouldn't be as awesome in practice (especially if some of them are particularly devoted to the sorcerer or feel they're being ignored... could get messy).
this is not a reason against buying a harem, it's a reason to do it. Anything can be solved with high enough charisma, bluff and diplomacy checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtychkn View Post
Sending hordes of low levels guys to kill hordes of undead while you battle the Necromancer does sound kind of cool though.
It sounds cool, yes. In practice, it will be handwaved away, accomplishing very little if anything. If you have a nice GM, he might allow you to avoid a minor encounter or two on the way to the BBEG. If you insist your follower's battles must be played out, your GM will most likely scream, tear his hair out and run off sobbing into the night, never to run a RPG again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Holy Wor View Post
this is not a reason against buying a harem, it's a reason to do it. Anything can be solved with high enough charisma, bluff and diplomacy checks.
Ah, true; I forgot about smoothing things over with those skills. Doubly-handy if the cohort's a bard who can make wands of glibness that the sorcerer can use.

If my PC's start abusing followers to get out of combat I start abusing area-effect spells. Problem solved.

And about the whole psicrystal thing...who'd want to be loyal to a rock, anyway? Remember, if your psicrystal takes leadership, it's not -you- that gets the cohort, it's the psicrystal. Which is rather like giving your familiar or animal companion leadership And um...I don't see where the psicrystal gets bonus feats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
It sounds cool, yes. In practice, it will be handwaved away, accomplishing very little if anything. If you have a nice GM, he might allow you to avoid a minor encounter or two on the way to the BBEG. If you insist your follower's battles must be played out, your GM will most likely scream, tear his hair out and run off sobbing into the night, never to run a RPG again.
haha! I'd hate to rollplay out minions fighting minions. No, it would be much better to roleplay it out and miss a few minor encounters on the way to the BBEG. It would jsut look cool; would be horrible to roll it all out.

Cohorts/followers would be useful if you were attempting to build a kingdom. But not sure how well that would work out in D&D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diremage View Post
And um...I don't see where the psicrystal gets bonus feats?
They don't get bonus feats. They get normal feats.