General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

[Review] Twilight

[Review] Twilight

I first heard about the Twilight about four months ago, when I saw an article about how people were lining up to buy Breaking Dawn. I didn't think about it much after until reading RPGnet. One thing I've noticed while browsing that forum is that there was pretty unanimous hatred of the series. I've also noticed that water is wet. The second was a lot harder to notice than the first.

The hatred seemed a bit weird. A supernatural romance between a girl and a vampire sounded like it could be pretty neat! It was a bestseller, so there must be something good to it! Why shouldn't I try it? So I decided to borrow the first book and read it, too see what the fuss was about. I mean, it can't be that bad.

Oh god I was wrong.

What I find really interesting is the show/tell split. Whenever Bella is not talking about or interacting with Edward, everything happens in 'tell' mode. I think up until around page 43 or so there's an average of one line of text per page. Everything else is summary. When it is talking about or interacting with Edward, the story slows to a crawl as it describes every exacting detail about it. They spend 25 pages lying in a field and talking. It's almost like Meyer threw in the non-Edward parts of the book so it doesn't come across as creepy stalkerish.

The other thing I find really interesting is how disturbing the book is. It's not just the writing that's bad, it's the characterization. Almost every character feels constructed to take place in the story, as if they have no lives beyond it. Even the minor attempts at giving people lives outside the story (Bella likes to read, her father watches baseball) fall flat. They're mostly told instead of shown, and only shown when vital to the plot.

Oh, and there are plot holes. Edward likes Bella so much because

And then there are the specific things...

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but this post has been immensely cathartic to me. Now I can finally move on to good books, books that don't suck your soul out through the nose and replace it with radioactive glitter. Books that have reasonable characters who you want to see live. Books that have a plot.

But first, I need to burn out my eyes.

It explains why my 12 year old daughter likes it so much. I really have to introduce her to a better class of writers... and quickly.

Dakar. That was epic on a level unseen by man for the last 1000 years. just friggin ASOME...

For someone who hates the book, you certainly took a great deal of time on this.

Twilight is... probably going to kill a lot of young girls. It romanticizes everything mothers are supposed to warn their daughters about in relationships. It is the worst, darkest, most dangerous parts of every girl's most romantic notions put up on a pedestal. It makes horrible abuse look absolutely irresistible, a dream come true instead of a swift way to get your heart shattered and life ruined. It teaches girls that they're supposed to take abuse and like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viletta Vadim View Post
For someone who hates the book, you certainly took a great deal of time on this.

Twilight is... probably going to kill a lot of young girls. It romanticizes everything mothers are supposed to warn their daughters about in relationships. It is the worst, darkest, most dangerous parts of every girl's most romantic notions put up on a pedestal. It makes horrible abuse look absolutely irresistible, a dream come true instead of a swift way to get your heart shattered and life ruined. It teaches girls that they're supposed to take abuse and like it.
don't forget that being a creepy stalker makes you totally hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
I first heard about the Twilight about four months ago, when I saw an article about how people were lining up to buy Breaking Dawn. I didn't think about it much after until reading RPGnet. One thing I've noticed while browsing that forum is that there was pretty unanimous hatred of the series. I've also noticed that water is wet. The second was a lot harder to notice than the first.

The hatred seemed a bit weird. A supernatural romance between a girl and a vampire sounded like it could be pretty neat! It was a bestseller, so there must be something good to it! Why shouldn't I try it? So I decided to borrow the first book and read it, too see what the fuss was about. I mean, it can't be that bad.
I remember having this thought. Then I read the book, and I can confidently say that it was worth every penny I paid for it.

I borrowed the book.

After a while I decided that what I'd read was so bad, it had potential, and then I wrote this:

One of these days, I should actually use all that. Or not. My worst fear is that if people actually liked the above scenario and Isabella and Edward are still alive afterwards, I'd have to mine the rest of the series for ideas and I don't want to read them.

I've heard this series is horrid, like the worst Vampire books imaginable.... My friends and I, years ago wrote a satire relay comic in high school, and it sickeningly resembled some of the characters and plot of the story with it's ridiculous descriptors and such. Why a strict mormon would write a vampire novel is beyond me....

I was told also that the lead character is very firm about no sex until after marriage but wants to desperately become a vampire..... Ironic to say the least.

My friend told me to download it for the laughs, as it is probably the biggest crapfest released recently :orcsnow:

After reading this I know I need to DL these.....lol!

My nineteen year old daughter is currently reading the series and has been pestering me to read it as well. I have been putting it off,
Call me a purest, but after reading Bram Stoker and Anne Rice I can't find a vampire story that satisfies me.
*sigh* ... I think I'll re-read the Harry Potter series instead.