General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

[Review] Twilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bane View Post
I am not arguing the fame and fandom of the series makes sense, but curiosity makes me wonder if the dislike for the books is age based. I wonder if it is an 'older crowd' that finds it distasteful, kinda like my parents didn't like Rock and Roll. Like I said, I'm just glad my kids are reading, yes there are much better books but it (Twilight) could be worse than the alternatives in my case.
I don't think this is the case. The book was brought up during a family get-together recently: my sister LOVES it, one of my cousins who's about the same age of my sister HATES it, for all the reasons given in this thread, and another one of my cousins who's maybe 5 years younger than my sister LOVES it.

I've seen in the paper and on the news people from the age 12-40 declaring their fandom. Some people just have lower standard for what they read...much, much lower standards.

I guess I should just chalk it up to the old saying, "There is no accounting for tastes." Though I will never read the series again, my daughter has enjoyed them even to the point of claiming 'they may be better than Harry Potter', which is a significant statement by her. Guess I will file it away with why some people like 4e and others hate it.

Thanks for the reply BTW,

Best,
The Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viletta Vadim View Post
You could ask the admins to change it if you think it's that bad.
If only it were that simple. Been using the name on various sites since 2002 or so. I'll live with it.

Quote:
Guess I will file it away with why some people like 4e and others hate it.
So, having read the series, you think there's no basis to the claim that it romanticizes abusive relationships?

Given the age group it targets, it creeps me out a bit all I've been hearing about it.

Are you saying that these accusations are totally groundless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bane View Post
I guess I should just chalk it up to the old saying, "There is no accounting for tastes." Though I will never read the series again, my daughter has enjoyed them even to the point of claiming 'they may be better than Harry Potter', which is a significant statement by her. Guess I will file it away with why some people like 4e and others hate it.
My personal opinion on it, and again this is just personal opinion that has no evidence backing it up, is that some people like it because they don't know any better.

Almost every "well-read" person I know hates the books, including several people in the target age group. It might just be because Twilight is low quality, and people who'd read high quality books see it as bad. As a vampire story, Interview with the Vampire blows it out of the water. Twilight doesn't hold a candle to Princess Bride as a romance.

On the other hand, you see people from 9-40 who love the books. So clearly Twilight isn't age-group specific. With that, it makes me wonder if many of them share the same quality: they don't have any high quality books to which they can compare it.

Now I know that 'quality' is highly subjective, but there are some boundaries. The Eye of Argon is low quality. 1984 is high quality. I'm making the case in my original post that Twilight is much closer in quality to The Eye of Argon over 1984.

Hmm... another crappy book that has no substance but for these teeming masses is the equivalent to crack cocaine it seems.

I read the entire Harry Potter series (you know when you realize you like something... such as music or reading, and you base your assumptions on what you like simply on the only things you have tried? Such was the way with me when I first got into that stupid collection of garbage).

Except for the latest 2... I think... don't really care anymore. Anyway, now that I look back, the characters were pretty flat, the plot was contrived, the bad guys predictable... and despite its attemtps to claim otherwise, it was written for kids. Yet it was an addiciting book. Books you cannot put down are not necessarily good books, they jus have addictive writing.

It seems Twighlight is even worse.

People don't want intelligent books anymore. No one wants to read LITERATURE... you know fictional prose that makes a point about society rather than being purely for entertainment.

Let's give a couple of examples... shall we:

Lord of the Rings and Narnia - christian allegories
Frank Herbert's Dune series - so MANY themes... so many points made. Rellgion, politics, economy, society values, philosophy, its an amazing book.

Nearly anything by Charles Dickens.

Dracula - A commentary on repressed victorian sexuality (say that 5 times fast)

And many others. Cather in the Rye, A Complicated Kindness... books that make you think.

Actually, I just think most people just don't want to think in general.

Was there ever a time where masses read "good literature" simply because it was good, and not because it was addictive?

Like... Shakespeare and Dracula. They were written to be entertainment, not "good literature". They just seem odd to us today because they were written in different eras than ours. Same with Charles Dickens and Mark Twain: they had messages, but they were still 'pop art'. Who knows, maybe in a couple hundred years people will think The da Vinci Code is a complex and meaningful book.

Also Dune was never that popular, and started making commentary for the sake of commentary in the third and fourth books (haven't read fifth+).