General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

College Football: Should the University of Utah be National Champions?

View Poll Results
How would you rank the University of Utah
National Champion 2 18.18%
#2 1 9.09%
#3 2 18.18%
#4 2 18.18%
#5 4 36.36%

The problem with a playoff is, the people opposed to it are the ones in a position to make it happen or not. The various bowl organizers are against it of course, the broadcasters aren't sure, at least several major university presidents or athletic directors are against it, and so on. Joe Fan wants it, but what he wants doesn't count for much. It's not like he wants it badly enough to stop watching and spending money until he gets what he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak
I ranked Utah as #3, because I think USC and Florida are better.
I have to admit I would really enjoy seeing the Utes become the national champions, however, the way the current system is setup I would actually probably put them at #4. Thanks, Squeak for the vote of confidence though. I haven't voted though since it is my poll. Doesn't seem right to vote on your own poll.

Now there is discussion occurring at the national level if the AP should vote the Utes national champions. It is obvious that they won't get the crystal globe of victory trophy that will be awarded at the end of the bowl game on Thursday evening. But maybe if the AP votes them the national champions it will create enough of a conundrum to cause a reevaluation of the BCS standards.

Tonight I just heard that Utah's Attorney General is considering the possibility of a lawsuit against the BCS. He is investigating to see if the BCS has breached the Sherman anti-trust laws, effectively creating a monopoly. The thoughts presented are do BCS schools and conferences bring in more money (by millions) and thus are able to afford better facilities, training camps and recruit better players, effectively eliminating opportunities for non-BCS schools.

I am not sure if I agree with this method or if I agree with the fact the Utah Attorney General should get involved.

I do with Squeak's, leons' and others' comments. The BCS needs to retool the system.

My hopes: Utah Utes become the national champion in the AP poll.
Realistically: Ranked #4

Come on now? Utah - national champions, no chance. They are a solid, good football team this year. I'd generously place them at #3, since they've remained undefeated, but they only really played two or three legitimate opponents throughout the year. Their win over Alabama was impressive, but the Crimson Tide played like a sub-par practice squad during that bowl game. Also, Alabama just doesn't have the personnel to compete with good spread offenses. Florida exploited that fact as well, during the SEC championship.

Florida Gators are the national champions and they earned it. The only other team that I could see an argument for is USC. I'm biased in accepting UF as the national champions, because I'm alumni, but their resume of work is much more impressive than Utah's and even, USC's.

Go Gators!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanavel View Post
I have to admit I would really enjoy seeing the Utes become the national champions, however, the way the current system is setup I would actually probably put them at #4. Thanks, Squeak for the vote of confidence though. I haven't voted though since it is my poll. Doesn't seem right to vote on your own poll.

Now there is discussion occurring at the national level if the AP should vote the Utes national champions. It is obvious that they won't get the crystal globe of victory trophy that will be awarded at the end of the bowl game on Thursday evening. But maybe if the AP votes them the national champions it will create enough of a conundrum to cause a reevaluation of the BCS standards.

Tonight I just heard that Utah's Attorney General is considering the possibility of a lawsuit against the BCS. He is investigating to see if the BCS has breached the Sherman anti-trust laws, effectively creating a monopoly. The thoughts presented are do BCS schools and conferences bring in more money (by millions) and thus are able to afford better facilities, training camps and recruit better players, effectively eliminating opportunities for non-BCS schools.

I am not sure if I agree with this method or if I agree with the fact the Utah Attorney General should get involved.

I do with Squeak's, leons' and others' comments. The BCS needs to retool the system.

My hopes: Utah Utes become the national champion in the AP poll.
Realistically: Ranked #4
What the heck can the Attorney General do? If you are gonna embarrass yourself, do it with flare. I think the best method would be to have a college throw their invitations in the garbage. In fact, televise a huge bonfire event. Have a party! Try to get some national coverage. Let the world know that the team is too good for the BCS.

Again, I didn't vote on the poll. They need to fight it out on the field. If not, I don't care what they are voted, they were undefeated and beat bama in the sugar bowl. That is good enough for me.

Sollister

AP final poll has them at #2, final USA Today coaches poll at #4. Call it #3 I guess.

The fact that Utah should be national champions is ridiculous. If a pro team beats 12 college teams and one pretty good pro team, should they be better than a team that beats 5 pretty good pro teams but loses to another pretty good pro team? NO! I doubt Utah would have maintained "focus" if they played 3 other BCS-caliber teams.

Edit: Sorry I got a little carried away there. But someone was wrong. About sports. On the internet. I psyched.