General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Easiest way to start playing?

Easiest way to start playing?

I've been lurking on the forums for a few months now, and I'm really itching to get into a game or two. The trouble is, I can't seem to do it.

I think I speak for at least a few other newbies I've seen when I say that a good deal of the game adverts I've seen are more advanced. I know there was a beginner-level game a while back, but it had closed before I was able to post.

So my question is, what's the easiest way to get started on Weave? Any games that are aimed at beginners? Tips on writing applications? I know a lot of it carries over from the actual system (I've played 1 or 2 D&D 3.5 games, nothing at all serious), but for someone with little to no experience, what advice would you have?

The best thing is to just create a character and apply.

Try to look around for low level games, if you need mechanical advice, well the Game Master and Player Rules Advice section is a bit farther down than this one, and we're always happy to help.

While high level play could be more suited to your preferences (you'll find out in time), low level play is easier on beginners. Which is why I recommend it.

Most important of all, be patient. Not all games will be for you, and games which get a lot of applications might be hard to get a spot in.

The Training Grounds are designed to ease one into 3.5, while Into the Shadowhaunt is for 4E.

Any other questions?

Check out the "always open" thread. Unfortunately it's always out of date cause we forget to update it but Miandor's training grounds has been going ages and I believe Pulindars one is current. Miandor had computer trouble and now seems to have been missing for a week or so but try a PM and see.

EDIT: Hmm, well I seem to have been simul-posted but it proves my point. You have to acxtually check the games are running even though they are in always opne. The "Into the Shadowhaunt" linked above never started.

How about WoD games? It seems that those usually end up being incredibly tailored, does anybody do more general games? I'm here as a player because at home my group always makes me ST on the spot.

Ok, tips for the beginning weaver.

First, even if the game allows for hundreds of sources, you don't have to use them. I quite often only use the Core rules for my characters. In a lot of cases, DMs prefer characters that only use one or two sources becuase its a lot of work for them if every spell, feat, class, & item is in a different book. So don't let some of the horrendously complex builds that sometimes appear scare you off. I hold firmly to KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.

Second, you don't have to limit yourself to 1 app at a time. If you get into one, there is nothing to stop you dropping out of the others that haven't finished yet (or carrying on if you want). The key is to know how much you can handle. Right now, I'm only in a couple of games, but there was a point where is was in 26 games at once. I overloaded & couldn't keep up with them all.

With your applications... well it varies by the game. First thing, make sure you're actually giving what the GM has asked for. If they ask for a long, involved BG, then go for something deep & immersive that really sets out your character. But if they just ask for 3 short paragraphs, don't give them a 10000 word essay.

Also, try to do something original. It may sound unlikely, but I've seen apps where the character basically a literal rip of Zelda but with Links name changed to the main character from the God of War series. The character was link, the BG was a very condensed version of the of the first zelda game, with the end sliced off & replaced with But he got bored and just walked until he got to the game start.

Another piece of solid advice is to accept criticism. In the Zelda example, the GM, 2 mods and about 6 other members tried to explain why the GM wouldn't even consider his application. The player would not accept that his BG didn't do what was asked. For instance, the GM had asked for a short paragraph (3-4 lines) about the character's personality. The player gave three descriptor words, a three 3-line paragraphs for the condensed Zelda BG, which was not only a blatant rip, with no creativeness used, but also varied in both perspective & tense, sometimes three times in a single sentence. He wouldn't accept it, and in the end, he was banned from that ad thread.

In the beginning, a lot of people thought that it was a joke or a trolling attempt. However, when we realized it was genuine, it made me think about what makes a good application, & I came up with the following.

First & foremost - Make a character you like, want to play, and most of all, think you can play well.

Second, try to be original in some way. Sure, there are the cliche's like the parents killed at age 6, and thats fine, but try to come up with something that makes your character stand out as different. For instance, in a d20 future game, I gave my character 2 completely independant brains, with independant personalities. That justified her being competant in both maintaining a starship engine and most forms of advanced combat. It made her that little bit more than just the soldier or the engineer.

Next, make sure the spelling & grammar are reasonably solid. The odd mistake won't matter, but the total absence of punctuation (you laugh but its happened) would kill the best in history application dead in 3 seconds. If you're a bit iffy on spelling & grammar, run it through Word or Open Office Writer's spellchecker. They usually catch the worst of it.

Keep it snappy. It can be fine to write a 30 words to say five from time to time, but if you have a 4500 word essay for a BG that would have done just as well at 500-1000, people won't want to take 9 times as long to read it. Sure, there are exceptions, indeed, I'm proud to say that I produced such an expection, when I wrote a 1000 word description of not only my character, but her culture, history, settlement, and relationship with both their natural environment & other cultures, and I was infact rewarded with 500XP for it, but that really was a lucky exception.

Keep consistancy. Don't jump around perspective & tense too much (ideally, don't do it at all, but if you plan on giving a broad description of the early history, then 1st person of a single major event, thats fine).

A key one is that you should try to tie in to the setting as much as you can. Admittely, this is frequently hard in homebrew worlds, but most good DMs will be willing to help you tie into their setting. In the case of settnigs like FR, Ebr, etc, then its far easier to tie into.

The next thing to come to mind is that you should really think about & elaborate on your character. Don't just do Moobar was brought up in Moobar Bay (don't ask where I'm getting these names), and then jump 20 years. Think about how they were brought up, how easy or hard they had it, friends, relatives, crushes. You don't necessarily have to write it all down, but it really helps you understand the character you're writing about.

A trait which I fully embrace is flexbility. Play the odds. If you have a concept for a druid and a rogue & you pick the rogue, then 12 other people apply for that same skill monkey slot, be prepared to switch to the druid (if you are really as willing to play that druid). Equally, if you see that someone applying for your slot has suddenly updated their BG from crumby to great, be prepared to do more work on yours. I've taken BG's from 3 paragraphs to 13 before now to keep myself competitive.

A piece of advice I was given a long time ago for writing in general is that when you make a character. Don't start with a name or look. People often have preconceived notions about particular looks or names. Make a person, then name them. Its not a hard & fast rule, but I do find it can help.

One of the key things which is always mentioned is the obvious. PBP is a text based media. That means that it probably gonna be more RP, less combat. Also, avoid text talk, leets, and that kind thing. Think of yourself as collaboratively writing a novel, not just playing a game.

Next, remember, the more people apply, the better you're likely to need your app to be. In a game with 4 slots & 5 apps, then you only need to be better than 1 person, but if its 4 slots with 20 apps, you've gotta beat 16 other people.

Almost there. One pearl of wisdom. The more unusual the gam, the more apps its likely to get. A normal dungeon crawl might get 7 apps, but some get far more. A game where the players were awakened animals that mutated rather than levelling got over 40 apps, epic games are among the most heavily contested games & if you see a game where the players are true dragons... well, the demand for the last one I saw was beyond belief.

Second to last. If you don't get in, don't feel scared to ask the GM if there was anything you could do to improve it. If they can pick something specific out, then learn from it.

And the final one. If at first, you don't suceed, try try again.

I can't commment on WoD, as its not a system I know (d6 & d20 are the only bases I use), I imagine that a lot of the same will hold true.

I'm sure there'e plenty of stuff that I've missed, but at twenty to three in the morning, I think I've done pretty well.

...Someone actually tried to pull a Kratos? Not just making snarky jokes, or using the name while otherwise bearing no resemblance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentch View Post
A game where the players were awakened animals that mutated rather than levelling got over 40 apps
Will the
Was a good concept, but it never did come off right
nightmare never end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
...Someone actually tried to pull a Kratos? Not just making snarky jokes, or using the name while otherwise bearing no resemblance?
Actually, it did bear no resemblance to Kratos. It was Zelda's Link with Kratos's name, with Zelda's BG & persona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
Will the
Was a good concept, but it never did come off right
nightmare never end?
Nope, never will it end. Awakened will outlive planet Earth.

I have a 3.5 D&D game that is designed for n00bs that can take one more player in a group. It's a generic world beginning at level 1 and working your way up, learning as you go. Nothing but patience in the games. PM me if you're interested or look up a game called Urban Learnin'. It's set in an urban environment, a generic medieval European city of pretty good size where anything can happen, and it is all up to you. Everything is Core Rules only, meaning no advanced stuff at all.