General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Easiest way to start playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentch View Post
Nope, never will it end. Awakened will outlive planet Earth.
I still have my character sheet. Oh Aki, I miss you so....

@OP: Tzeentch's comments are all very insightful, and you'd do well to follow them. One more tip, that's worked for me in the past and Tzeentch touched on, is the tactic of writing both IC and OOC in your app. Describing your character's appearance, personality, etc, can be OOC, but there are definitely times when you can sneak in some IC text into a background. Writing an app is all about proving to the GM that you'll be a capable writer; that's what PbP is about, after all. If you can provide a sample of your writing style in your app, that can go a long way.

Tzeentch, everything you said there was gold. I couldn't have said it much better. Really, PbP is an environment where you have to jump in. You'll get sucked in, but you'll love it. Don't be embarrassed to say you're new either. Most DMs will help you out. Plus, if you don't come out and say it, well, it might be rather obvious anyway. Just try your best, make characters you love, and don't give up just because you don't make it in. Don't give up when games die either. This will happen often. It isn't your fault (I hope). Just move on and apply to a new game. Eventually you'll find a group that stays alive, or a few friends that play well, or a DM that is hellbent to keep the game going no matter how many other players drop. If you build up the reputation you may get invite only games, or just have a better shot at some of the higher demand games. You just gotta start somewhere.

I should find my first post here... That might be funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentch View Post
Second to last. If you don't get in, don't feel scared to ask the GM if there was anything you could do to improve it. If they can pick something specific out, then learn from it.
One little comment on this: Sometimes there is no good reason you didn't get picked. Well, there is a good reason, but not something you can fix. DMs can't take 20 people into a game. Good applications have to be cut just as much as bad ones. I've had players ask me what I didn't like, and sometimes I can't really say. The other players were better maybe, or fit my theme more, but not all denied apps are bad. Don't badger the DM for reasons, or make them feel worse for not selecting you. Take it like a champ and move on. A bad reputation is worse than no reputation.

Yeah, I feel lost here too. The dice rolling, character sheets, how to roll a character all have me lost. If there is ever a super noob group Id love to join, otherwise I think people would get frustrated with me. Its great in theory. This would have been my only real way to play due to time constraints.

Well, don't take me as an example. I've been here less than two months, and I'm in eight games and running a ninth. But then, I've RPed since 1985, so jumping in is kind of natural to me.

If you're completely new, I would recommend going to the Player's Seeking DMs forum and making a post there stating something along the lines that you are new, what kind of games you are interested in playing, what kind of characters you are interested in playing, and that you might need some help putting a character together. It helps to start with something simple and low level, so you don't have to be overcome with rules and so you have opportunity to let the character grow and develop.

A well written post in that forum usually gets some sort of response fairly quickly I find, and sometimes attracts other like minded players who might be looking for something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Fate View Post
One little comment on this: Sometimes there is no good reason you didn't get picked. Well, there is a good reason, but not something you can fix. DMs can't take 20 people into a game. Good applications have to be cut just as much as bad ones. I've had players ask me what I didn't like, and sometimes I can't really say. The other players were better maybe, or fit my theme more, but not all denied apps are bad. Don't badger the DM for reasons, or make them feel worse for not selecting you. Take it like a champ and move on. A bad reputation is worse than no reputation.
That is the very reason I put the if they can pick something qualifier. A lot of the time it really does have to come down to a gut choice to fill a group.

As to those who feel lost, I generally find that the dice, sheets etc are secondary to the charater's actual character. GM's & players will almost always be willing to help. Indeed once my in depth knowledge of dragon mechanics got me elevated to Co-GM to help the other players with their dragon characters (and to help the GM, becuase it turned out I knew dragons better than him), my point being that there is always someone willing to help.

If not, then a low dice system would be good for you, so a freeform (aka diceless) game, or maybe RISUS, which is a free game system that is very dice lite, comic, & based around cliche's. If you do find Risus, never mess with William Shatner.

Not to again repeat what the CEO is saying, but don't feel lost. I can't speak for everyone, but I know there are a good number of games on here, including mine when I recruit, that are interested in a good character before a good sheet. Some don't even want the sheet made before the applications are made. If the sheet and dice are frightening, look for a game that isn't asking for them yet. Mention you might need help, of course, but work on the app anyway. When the time comes if you are picked most players and DMs are happy to help with the basics. Soon you'll see it really isn't that hard.

Definitely true on all counts CMF.

I remember back in the days of my induction to D&D, clerics scared the crap out of me with that +1 after their spells. Hell, anything that wasn't a druid or a figther terrified me back then.

Thanks for all of the great replies, everyone! It's great that I can get into RP with a community like this one, from all of the helpful people I've seen. I'll keep everyone's advice in mind and probably apply for a game this week.

One of the big reasons I was afraid to jump in was that I was worried about DMs not being accepting of new players, but it doesn't look like this is the case anymore

Thanks again!

Aside from writing the best application for a game, here are some other tips that anyone can achieve.

Point the FirstI strongly recommend learning the formatting code. If you can make a well-formatted, attractive application using spoiler tags, ooc tags, a distinctive font, inclusion of one or more pictures that illustrates the character, or more advanced formatting, your application will stand out from others and show that you have taken the time to develop a basic utility of the very phenomenal tools that we have at our disposal here. Even in those instances where one's writing skills are below average, or one's creativity on any given character application is a little stale, you can get in for taking the time on an application to make it look attractive.

You can find instructions for using formatting under the Help tab, on the navigation bar above.

Be polite and helpful in the Game Application thread.
Don't argue with other applicants or the DM.
If it is needed, make a compilation table of player applications or serve in another way for a busy DM with a large set of applicants.
Let the DM field questions directed at him/her themselves, unless it is apparent that answering the question will greatly facilitate things.

~*~

Understand that some DMs may base their choice partially on Post Count.
If you are competing for a spot with others who have been on M-W longer, address the issue directly with the DM of the game, preferably in a private tag within your application. Let them know that they can rely on you to post with the regularity they have requested, and let them know how interested you are in their campaign and rewarding it will be for them to have you in it.

There are many established players on M-W who are enrolled in a multitude of games, and who cannot lend their full attention to every game they are in. As a new member of the site, you have a lot to offer the community as a committed and interested player with a passion for the hobby and a desire to play.

~*~

Be active in forums other than the Game Announcements thread.
Introduce yourself. Chime in on General Discussion threads that interest you. Get together some other new members and make a Game to experiment with the code available here. Be a presence on the website, and get to know folks.
Doors will open for you.

~*~

Believe in yourself.

I definitely agree with that, particularly the last one & the one about post rates. I was guilty of it myself. I was in nearly 30 games & therefore couldn't give any of them near the attention they deserved, now however, I'm in 3 and much more able to focus on them.