Campaign metaphysics - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with all editions of D&D.

Campaign metaphysics

Campaign World Metaphysics

So here's my question to you all: how important is it that the DnD universes you play in have consistent metaphysics underlying them, and have you ever played in a campaign with such metaphysics? By metaphysics I mean laws of the universe that explain why the universe is the way it is, where the planes and the worlds come from, where races come from, why magic operates, etc.

Also, do you think that the published WOTC worlds have consistent metaphysics? I am alos especially interested in this question. What are the metaphysics of Forgotten Relams, Greyhawk, and/or Ebberon?

From my limited experience, I would respond that most worlds don't get into too much depth regarding metaphysics. It seems to me that it is really important especially as PCs progress to epic levels. Invariably, at some point, a PC will become so powerful that the gods will become interested in him or here and he or she interested in the gods. Aside from this very practical reason, the richer the world is, the more exciting playing in it is, so therefore a complex detailed, rich metaphysics is very important to a campaign world.

From my limited experience, I would respond that most worlds don't get into too much depth regarding metaphysics. It seems to me that it is really important especially as PCs progress to epic levels. Invariably, at some point, a PC will become so powerful that the gods will become interested in him or here and he or she interested in the gods. Aside from this very practical reason, the richer the world is, the more exciting playing in it is, so therefore a complex detailed, rich metaphysics is very important to a campaign world.

I think it's imortant to have a metaphysic rich world, like Valanduil said. Though, I have never been able to reach epic level. :rolleyes:

I think it's imortant to have a metaphysic rich world, like Valanduil said. Though, I have never been able to reach epic level. :rolleyes:

I think it is a good idea to see the reasons "why" things are in place. If nothing else, it gives the DM a guide as to how to rationalize things once the characters get to higher and epic levels.

If you know the "why", you make make more educated decisions on how things would react.

I haven't seen much of this in any other campaigns or worlds though.

I think it is a good idea to see the reasons "why" things are in place. If nothing else, it gives the DM a guide as to how to rationalize things once the characters get to higher and epic levels.

If you know the "why", you make make more educated decisions on how things would react.

I haven't seen much of this in any other campaigns or worlds though.

Hmm. Well, essentially if someone is epic level then the gods would be interested in them. I've never seen an epic level NPC which has class levels. I think as Farland grows so should the metaphysics of it.

I know in FR that the gods play an important role especially during the time of troubles when the gods walked on Faerun as avatars. The gods are what give the players their spells and whatnot.

Hmm. Well, essentially if someone is epic level then the gods would be interested in them. I've never seen an epic level NPC which has class levels. I think as Farland grows so should the metaphysics of it.

I know in FR that the gods play an important role especially during the time of troubles when the gods walked on Faerun as avatars. The gods are what give the players their spells and whatnot.

Of course I bring up this topic as a prelude to this month's update. We have just published a complete, consistent, explanatory metaphysics for the entire multiverse of Farland. Check it out. I think it's pretty damn good.