Netflix's Marvel Content - Page 59 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Netflix's Marvel Content

The entire concept is creepy and gross, and I knew it would be a bland, weird attempt to push the creator's personal views. What's disturbing is why netflix is promoting it so much and I wish you could dismiss ads. I got like 12 notifications for it xD

I didn't watch the whole thing, but I have a feeling it won't get any better.

Folks, the topic of the thread is Netflix's Marvel Content, let's stay on topic. Also, Sex Education is decidedly not appropriate for the site, given the show's entire premise, and would best be not discussed on the forums.

Hey, sorry there, for some reason I forgot it was Marvel content and I just went with Netflix content.

Yes. ^ Luke cage was really good though, I liked the first season a lot. The action was great, and so was the story and character development. I feel like misty's constant anger issues were a bit dragged out, but otherwise it was fine. The second season had a lot of weird dead end plots and the characters you wanted to see leave early on, notably his girlfriend just goes away due to a random thing he does, basically his anger issues, that was never introduced as an element of his character in season 1.

They left season 2 on somewhat of a cliffhinger and discontinued the series so that's a bummer; we won't get to see him running the bar that was given to him by the stokes family. But it was kind of a weird ending anyways. The netflix shows have a weird habit of trying to reboot everything in the 2-3 season and create basically a brand new story, which is weird since we never get a resolution to the old stories and also makes it unfulfilling. I felt the same way about the punisher, it doesn't actually answer any previous questions or carry on based on the original plot or anything. It feels like a different TV show, and it's kind of like lost where they have a lot of build up that goes nowhere and then flatlines. It makes for a disappointing feeling, which is why the defenders did so bad. They also rewrite characters practically as polar opposites of the original, which also doesn't make sense.

Well, its over.

Punisher and Jessica Jones are officially cancelled at Netflix.

Though Jeph Loeb has posted a somewhat cryptic letter of hope to Marvel Television fans.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-s...inkId=63749654

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

I finally just finished Punisher season 2 at lunch today. Overall I felt it was pretty good, I'd probably give it a 6 or 7 out of 10.

The problem with Punisher is that they Don't Want to do it right! The best of the Punisher movies was Warzone--that was what the Punisher should have been doing the whole time--not trying to bury himself in a construction site.
Way too much of P1 was just wasted dead space, padding, and filler. Any annoying as hell. This is not the guy we saw in DareDevil season2. I want THAT guy! I have no confidence in the show runners being able to salvage the show for season 2, so bluntly, I'm just not going to bother.

Oh well.
I'm slogging through DareDevil3, but the big problem for me is that so much of the story is dependent on that horrid Defenders story, which was dependent on the terrible Iron Fist.
Looks like it is starting to get better, but not quite the same interesting show that it was in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperMagellan View Post
The problem with Punisher is that they Don't Want to do it right! The best of the Punisher movies was Warzone--that was what the Punisher should have been doing the whole time--not trying to bury himself in a construction site.
Way too much of P1 was just wasted dead space, padding, and filler. Any annoying as hell. This is not the guy we saw in DareDevil season2. I want THAT guy! I have no confidence in the show runners being able to salvage the show for season 2, so bluntly, I'm just not going to bother.

Oh well.
I'm slogging through DareDevil3, but the big problem for me is that so much of the story is dependent on that horrid Defenders story, which was dependent on the terrible Iron Fist.
Looks like it is starting to get better, but not quite the same interesting show that it was in the beginning.
The main problems seem to be that they have terrible pacing, weird story lines that have nothing to do with the original story and go nowhere (in punisher season 2, they just forget micro and bring in a new chick who is going to be quickly forgotten), the needless fluff, and the fact the character's are nothing like the original show. Other than he different acting and character traits, they also "reset", destroying any character progression you were hoping to see. Both punisher seasons were a reset, with frank starting over, again, instead of walking around at his best with all the gear and weapons. The daredevil is a reset, giving up his armor and other things in order to go back around as a new hero for some reason, which decidedly is not the coolest part. Not only is it annoying and the characters come off as rude and unlikable for no reason, but they are completely different characters, in completely different stories, but it's also insulting, taking a character who is hailed as one of the best fighters and reducing him to some sort of bumbling moron who can barely fight off a few bad guys. Presumably what you would do is, create an enemy that is difficult for him to fight.

The whole "RESET EVERY SEASON!" and start from scratch is boring for a lot of reasons, primarily because we wanted to see our heroes in their prime or progress from where they started. Not to mention it is just painfully annoying to be waiting for that and never get it. So other than the fluff, the awkward pacing, the needless gross shit (like showing frank's ass and the weird sex scenes of the first season), it's nothing like the original. Can anyone say they felt the punisher felt like Daredevil season 2? When punisher is walking around with the minigun and body armor and his house explodes, can anyone say they felt that epic send off was leading up to him being a construction worker talking to a random guy who, also never comes back? There's only one other consistently recurring character in the whole show, and that is madini, with the people around her occasionally coming back. That's it. They spend a lot of time on characters and stories that go nowhere, like with the first construction scene guy who shares the sandwhich, micro, the little girl, everyone.

Karen page was barely in it, and it's not like she wasn't available for acting and couldn't be his sidekick instead, instead of a little girl or micro. You could explore that relationship more, develop it maybe, and have her tag along in some cool adventures, be the voice of reason for him perhaps, but nope. Just, here's new characters we don't even care enough about to develop. Maybe have the daredevil, jessica jones, luke cage, the iron fist even, anybody interact with him? Sure, no, this random guy we will forget about later, makes sense storywriters. The other thing was the bad action. The original had amazing action scenes, that were fantastic, and sort of made the show. Aside from a few scenes the new one's were lackluster, and other than the show being boring I found myself being bored by the action and even fast forwarding in some cases. It was soooo boring and dumb. What we got was discount wolverine who miraculously heals from injuries and screams while he attacks people, starting over from the Canadian wilderness, err I mean, a construction worker guy, and occasionally feeling sad about it. All you had to do was have him wear armor and all the injuries he sustained suddenly make sense. All you had to do was show a few cool scenes with like, explosives and flashbangs and whatnot, and you would be good. But nuuuuuu, instead sticks come up from the ground somehow in the exact spot a guy is walking. Seriously, they just make a "swhing!" sound, and we are supposed to believe somehow the guy got impaled on a stake. Not that he fell in to a trap, not that a log fell down and hit him, just that he was walking and, hey stick jumps up from the ground! What is it springloaded, and how did the guy know he was going to walk in that exact spot when the woods is so big? And here's a thought, why would a moral person leave behind traps for random people to accidentally set off and die from in the middle of a forest, when anyone could be walking by? They tried to do the rambo thing, but rambo make the traps on the go. How would you just make a spring loaded stick trap in like 5 seconds? The show has lots of other problems like this, like the punisher going off screen and then reappearing right in front of someone and stabbing them, as if the entire concept of spatial awareness is gone for most people in the sow, and notably supposedly trained soldiers.

Just little things like that kill the excitement. He gets shot, but that's not dramatic as we don't know if it will actually hurt him or not. He never wears the armor or uses tons of equipment he's gathered up, just a few guns. I thought the hotel scene where he was punching a hole in the wall would be like, where he finds his stash of guns or something, but instead he just... does an attack from the closet or something? Idk. The action wasn't just not as good as the original, but literally bad, and not making any sense in places. Sort of takes you out of the story. So 12 hours of fluff to get to some incredibly cheesey b-movie action and that's it. Eh. They can pretend they wanted to be realistic or something, but realistic would have been wearing body armor, and also I could have done without the silly grunting noises. Any momentum or drama they had built up is punctuated by random grunts that sounds like he has too much phlegm, which kind of ruins the moment. Imagine if constantly in superman or batman the main hero went "ladel-ladel-ladel-lee!"

Well, I've given up on season 3 of Daredevil. Got to the big fight with "Fake DareDevil", which I'm guessing is supposed to be Bullseye. The guy felt totally undeserved. It was a cool fight, and all, but I spent the entire time thinking "At what point did he develop these ricochet powers? When did he develop this radar/sonar ability?" It just felt like it came out of the blue with no explanation of any kind.

So, I'm done. Like Arrowverse on the CW, I have no further interest in any of the Netflix Marvel shows. I don't even want to rewatch the good episodes, because I know what it will devolve into.

Maybe I'm just too old now.
Nothing seems made to entertain me. Everyone else seems to enjoy it...
But I don't and can't.

It's a classic case of showing the cool powers first, then doing the backstory episode later. I agree it's irritating, especially when done so many times these days. But that seems like a minor thing to abandon a decent series over. DD is still the best Marvel TV show, and Season 3 overall redeems itself from Season 2's missteps, and manages to salvage the franchise after Defenders too.