Besm d20 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Besm d20

Besm d20

Has anyone ever played the BESM d20 rpg? I picked up on the cheap recently, seems interesting. I did see some differences in the system, like attack and defense being skills. I would love to hear peoples thoughts on the system.

Dear chaos...

BESM d20 should've never been made. The normal editions of BESM are great, but trying to convert a point buy system into a level based d20 system just did not work.

Honestly, I'd rather point people to the generic TriStat dX system (which is BESM 2.5 basically), than the d20 version. And that version should be free, as well (Guardians of Order tried to pull a d20 SRD with TriStat, but that doesn't take off as well as they'd hoped).

Still, I'd love to see more BESM fans around here. It was my first system love, after all.

@Yamazaki I heard that a Tristalt 4e is in the kickstarter process, but I can't remember where I saw that.

Edit: Ah, its also linked to in the kickstarters thread in General. Sounds like one of the creators of it is in the company doing it.

BESM was originally a Tristalt game. I've read the rules and it seems pretty simple mechanics wise for a point buy system.

It was. BESM might be the simplest point buy system out there. It helped that they had a number of very polished systems to use as inspiration, the debt to both GURPS and HERO is pretty obvious at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural19 View Post
@Yamazaki I heard that a Tristalt 4e is in the kickstarter process, but I can't remember where I saw that.

Edit: Ah, its also linked to in the kickstarters thread in General. Sounds like one of the creators of it is in the company doing it.
It's more accurate to say that there's a Kickstarter of BESM 4e, in the works. TriStat only has its one edition, as it didn't really take off like BESM did. That said, I'm a little psyched, but incredibly cautious given the <REDACTED FOR WORLD TALK> reasons.

For those curious, you can get a PDF copy of BESM 3e for 10 bucks from DriveThruRPG. I still regard it as a fantastic point-buy system, and my TTRPG GMing record is held by a BESM campaign (2-year long PbP game). While it's not as fiddly as GURPS or HERO, it does a fantastic job of giving plenty of customization without getting too crunchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
It was. BESM might be the simplest point buy system out there.
I'd argue that OVA 2e is simpler and covers the same ground, actually. (And technically, Barbarians of Lemuria is also point-buy, but it's simpler than either one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
I'd argue that OVA 2e is simpler and covers the same ground, actually. (And technically, Barbarians of Lemuria is also point-buy, but it's simpler than either one).
Honestly, I did not find OVA to be simpler. In fact, I had a harder time wrapping my head around OVA than BESM. It's 'simpler' in the fact that it's smaller numbers (especially compared to BESM 3e), but the mechanics, both in play and chargen, felt so weird to me that I now cannot play it. It's like there's something missing that I wasn't getting (although I cannot remember for the life of me what that was).

So, mileage may vary on that regard.

Barbarians, however, I did find very simplistic to grok (except for magic, but I didn't dive into it that much).

Nice use of grok, good sir.