Ask a Question Get an Answer! - Page 28 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Ask a Question Get an Answer!

I'm considering a Savage Worlds game where all the PCs are magicians of some type. I'm considering of going with an elemental theme where each player specializes in a specific element (fire/ice/wind/etc). A lot of the powers listed in the core rulebook don't fit the theme of the game, and there are a lot of conceptual powers missing... but I want to allow the players the opportunity to be imaginative and create their own power suite. Is it an acceptable practice to make the players develop their own Powers, instead of creating dozens of new ones myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
I'm considering a Savage Worlds game where all the PCs are magicians of some type. I'm considering of going with an elemental theme where each player specializes in a specific element (fire/ice/wind/etc). A lot of the powers listed in the core rulebook don't fit the theme of the game, and there are a lot of conceptual powers missing... but I want to allow the players the opportunity to be imaginative and create their own power suite. Is it an acceptable practice to make the players develop their own Powers, instead of creating dozens of new ones myself?
This can work, provided you have players who are reasonably adept at rules creation. Which isn't always the case. And some players aren't very keen on making their own rules. So the real answer is "it depends on the group." It can work, though.

Have you checked out the Fantasy Companion? There are a lot more spells there and they have excellent rules for trappings be element, all of which change how a power functions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
Have either of you ever seen the anime Zero no Tsukaima (The Familiar of Zero)?
Hmm..that's the one with the boy being dropped into a magical world and has to be that girls familiar or something..right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayrz View Post
Hmm..that's the one with the boy being dropped into a magical world and has to be that girls familiar or something..right?
Yep, that's the one. I'd asked the question a while back, but since somebody responded to it, I'll follow it up by saying that that's the sort of game I'm looking to run (not the same premise, but the type of magic I want available in the world).

Oh..I hadn't noticed..this thread must go slow, since your question is still on this same page lol.

I have a half-orc barbarian in my party that has a really bad history with humans (slave etc), I want to give him something based on this background, a sort of favored enemy thing. I wanted to use the following:

If he starts his rage and his first target is a human (i.e. he starts his rage on a human sort of) he can treat his level on the subject of rage as 2 levels higher. For example he can use Greater Rage on level 9, instead of level 11.

I wonder if this is overpowered?? Its not like we will battle humans constantly.

Either that, or just give him Favored Enemy: Humanoid (human) and be done with it.

If you feel that would be overpowered, you could simply give him the +2 damage against humans and call it a day. Maybe make it +2 damage against humans, and increase it to +4 when he's raging?

My friends and I have been gaming since way back in 2nd edition revised and are currently getting to know pathfinder since we are still a little unwilling to let go of all that 3.5 material we fell in love with and don't want to learn a mostly different system. We've all taken turns as GM over the years but somehow i seem to get the job more often than anyone else in the group. I'd like to change things up from the old dull routine though and throw my players for a loop. I had an idea for doing this but i haven't been able to find any rules i like. I want to have their characters turned into children magically or have them start as children. Somewhere in the young to juvenile range. Does anyone know where i can find some well thought out systems for this type of thing. I don't mind if it is homebrew. I'm just looking for something so i don't have to do a ton of work and make up a system myself.

Simple. Have them make the characters as per normal, and then just add the Young Template to them. It would mean a sizing down, bonuses to a couple of things but on the whole works to maintain balance. Yes they are harder to hit, but they are also incapable of doing massive damage.