Monster Hunter/Bloodborne Weapons in Pathfinder? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Monster Hunter/Bloodborne Weapons in Pathfinder?

Monster Hunter/Bloodborne Weapons in Pathfinder?

So I've been playing Monster Hunter World lately (a rather fun grind, that somehow doesn't feel that grindy), and I love some of the weapons. Then I got thinking - how would one bring them into Pathfinder, while making it not only viable, but rewarding? Because just swapping weapon modes without a clear benefit to it is kind of boring.

Thus I've been banging my head against this idea the last few days, and I think I'm onto an interesting idea, which involves some Spheres of Power/Might rules. Borrowing from the Battlefield Tinkerer archetype of Armiger, I came up with a scaling feat to replicate a the Improbable Weapon, without being more powerful than it.

So for your feedback, I present my take on the Trick Weapons:

Feat: Trick Weapon Proficiency
Prereqs: Knowledge engineering 3, BAB +2

Grants the ability to use one of the exotic and complex trick weapons. Each of these trick weapons has two forms, each of a different weapon or weapon set. Switching forms is a move action, unless you possess the Quick Draw feat, which brings this to a swift action. At 5th level, each weapon form grants its user a combat talent, or in a few rare cases, a magic talent, and every 5 levels past that, another talent. However, the talent progression is locked by the weapon, and cannot be changed or customized. Furthermore, the talents granted by the trick weapon cannot be used as prereqs for other talents, nor feats. If the user already possesses those spheres and/or talents, then the user may retrain those if he wishes.

For determining effects, such at penalties and DCs, you may use your practitioner modifier (default to WIS if you do not have any practitioner modifier) and BAB as normal. In the case of magic talents, you use your practitioner modifier as your casting modifier and half your class level as your caster level (unless you have better). You must be proficient in both weapon form to use the trick weapon.

When enchanting a trick Weapon, it is considered a double weapon, meaning that each weapon form much be enchanted separately. Given the fine construction and advanced engineering of these weapons, they are already masterwork quality.

Special: Because of the specialized and complex nature of trick weapons, they cannot be part of an Armiger's Custom Weapon sets. An Armiger may still acquire and use a trick weapon, regardless of this, and still gains its abilities as normal.

Example Trick Weapons

Switch Axe

Axe Form: great axe form. Grants the Berserker sphere at 5th level, Reaper's Momentum talent at 10th, Bell Ringer talent at 15th, and Spell Sunder at 20th.
Sword Form: Great Sword. Grants the Destruction sphere, with the limited form drawback (gaining energy blade as the bonus talent) at 5th level, The Spell Blade feat at 10th, Cascade Failure at 15th, and Focused Blast at 20th.

Threaded Cane

Cane Form: Long Sword - Fencing Sphere at 5th, Fast Feint at 10th, Arm Strike at 15th, Shadow Strike at 20th
Chain Whip form: Scorpion Whip - Dueling Sphere at 5th, Leg Cutter talent at 10th, And Stay Down at 15th, Bleed Air at 20th

Now, I expect this to be a fairly powerful option for players, so I'm also considering reducing the number of talents granted (given that they're about equal to feats, thus this is pretty much a bonus 8 feats for the price of 1). Maybe a second feat to unlock the later talents of the weapon?

Thoughts?

Unfamiliar with Spheres of Power/Might, but I found this handy link a while ago in regard to Bloodborne Weapons and other stuff. Granted, its 5e rather than PF/3.5, but its nothing a touch of tinkering couldn't fix. Even goes into the Runes, Consumables and Tools, as well as fanmade content.