Spell casting variations for 3.5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Spell casting variations for 3.5

Spell casting variations for 3.5

Hey guys, I've got a story in mind that I've been thinking about for a while. However, I'm not a huge fan of DnD (which seems to be the popular system here) and I had some Ideas, but was also looking for insights:
I'm going to be using a spell point system for spell casting, where you get spell points per day to cast spells (also might add some feats to allow you to recover spell points before getting a full night's rest). Other changes are that I generally don't like spell components, so my game will be without some of the spell component ingredients needed to cast spells.
I've kinda wanted to mirror Earthdawn, in the way that MAGIC is dangerous. So you use a focus to cast (various object types that need to be upgraded to cast new spell levels), and it greatly reduces possible backlash for casting magic. You can cast it without a focus, but it has greater risks of side effects.
Also working on trying to convert some aspects of this to flow along with Tome of Battle. ANyways over all I was wanting to get a post going where I could get some insight back on spell casting variations as well.
Your input is appreciated!

Sounds like refluffing psionics and adding the focus/backlash concepts would be the simplest way to go about it, if you're set on D&D 3.x

Alternatively, there are certainly different rule systems that either already include such an approach or are easier to modify than D&D.

(Our tabletop group uses Warrior, Rogue and Mage - which is rather rules-light - and we do have the focus-item-necessary-to-cast-spells aspect added in)

Im a huge fan of w.r.m. just not sure how popular it is here on the weave. That's something else I'm curious about. But yeah magic will be done more like psionics. I like point systems over spells per day.