Do you bow back? - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Do you bow back?

Like the others have (way more elaborately) explained, it depends way more on the situation than the question allows. That is why you are getting the answers that you get.

If my character has chased down a bad guy (like a thug, cultist or a highway bandit) and he bows after getting cornered? Hell, I'm lopping his head off and later joke at the bar or with the guards who gave me the job that the guy actually expected to be treated honorably after his crimes.

Were my character in a formal duel or in a practice match against a knight, a guardsman or even a peaseant? Of course they get the bow returned. We want to make the fight as honorable and fair as possible.

In a situation where my group is in a position where they need my character to play his/her part in protecting the others as a sort-of first line of protection? Likely acknowledge the bow but don't bow back since duelling is not an option.

So, do I bow back? As much as I would like to say "most of the time yes", there are just so many situations where it would be nonsensical or detrimental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drome View Post
Like the others have (way more elaborately) explained, it depends way more on the situation than the question allows. That is why you are getting the answers that you get.

If my character has chased down a bad guy (like a thug, cultist or a highway bandit) and he bows after getting cornered? Hell, I'm lopping his head off and later joke at the bar or with the guards who gave me the job that the guy actually expected to be treated honorably after his crimes.
Well, that depends on the setting. If the status is official, he might be entitled to expect a duel, and you might be acting dishonourably or even unlawfully by refusing. Yes, no matter what he's done!
In which case, I might well grant his request. Though I might also say to my friends "and kill him if he wins - I'll make sure he's not unscathed", if it's a particularly ignoble character, like Gilles de Rais (DO NOT GOOGLE his name if serial killers could possibly upset you)!
But even he received both trial, and proper burial. And on the subject of his misdeeds, it should be enough to say that he was the original Bluebeard. And that the tale counts as whitewashing, if half of what he got sentenced for is true.
Still, status is that important in pre-industrial societies.
BTW, I'm especially proud that one of my characters in a historical CoCA game helped bringing him down.

Varies a lot by the world setting.

If I'm playing a Black Knight type anti-hero and the hero bows without paying attention, you better believe I will take the opportunity to behead him and end the fight on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avianmosquito View Post

So, do you bow back?
Is my character a warrior of honor?
Yes: they bow
No: they do not bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
In which case, I might well grant his request. Though I might also say to my friends "and kill him if he wins - I'll make sure he's not unscathed", if it's a particularly ignoble character, like Gilles de Rais (DO NOT GOOGLE his name if serial killers could possibly upset you)!
But even he received both trial, and proper burial. And on the subject of his misdeeds, it should be enough to say that he was the original Bluebeard. And that the tale counts as whitewashing, if half of what he got sentenced for is true.
Still, status is that important in pre-industrial societies.
BTW, I'm especially proud that one of my characters in a historical CoCA game helped bringing him down.
This is another place where I think it matters why this actually happens. Or, more accurately, why people think it happens, seeing as they could be wrong. The ability is, IIRC, called “Cameraderie” — that suggests that the basis is that it creates a sort of magical bond of friendship (warrior brotherhood, whatever) between you and the other warrior.

One might be a lot less willing to extend that to a Gilles de Rais. (Incidentally, there’s what I remember as a rather good literary version of De Rais in an old fantasy novel called Merlin’s Ring. Disclaimer: I haven’t read it since I was a teenager.)

On the other hand, one might do it precisely because one wanted the other person’s friendship if you both survived the fight, supposing that it actually creates “cameraderie” of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voord 99 View Post
This is another place where I think it matters why this actually happens. Or, more accurately, why people think it happens, seeing as they could be wrong. The ability is, IIRC, called “Cameraderie” — that suggests that the basis is that it creates a sort of magical bond of friendship (warrior brotherhood, whatever) between you and the other warrior.

One might be a lot less willing to extend that to a Gilles de Rais. (Incidentally, there’s what I remember as a rather good literary version of De Rais in an old fantasy novel called Merlin’s Ring. Disclaimer: I haven’t read it since I was a teenager.)

On the other hand, one might do it precisely because one wanted the other person’s friendship if you both survived the fight, supposing that it actually creates “cameraderie” of some sort.
In French, where the word is coming from, it means "comradeship". So, while it has possible implications of "friendship", my reading would be that you don't really need to like the other guy. You just acknowledge that he's your fellow warrior, which he would be no matter what he's done, and then you duel him according to the code.
And ain't nobody sayin' that you should leave him alive in that duel.

I don't know guys, there are a lot of assumptions going around. Yes, if not bowing back were illegal or dishonorable, then it would be that, but that's the reason people set the settings they give their examples for.

So for another thing to consider, since the ability is worded without limiting factors, what if there is a risk that the enemy you bow back to goes after someone else than you. They have an attack and defense boost you grant them and keep it until both of your energy runs out, so they might block your path and go after another target or simply go past you, eating a hit. Do you bow back with that in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drome View Post
I don't know guys, there are a lot of assumptions going around. Yes, if not bowing back were illegal or dishonorable, then it would be that, but that's the reason people set the settings they give their examples for.

So for another thing to consider, since the ability is worded without limiting factors, what if there is a risk that the enemy you bow back to goes after someone else than you. They have an attack and defense boost you grant them and keep it until both of your energy runs out, so they might block your path and go after another target or simply go past you, eating a hit. Do you bow back with that in mind?
You'll notice that I started with "Well, that depends on the setting" for precisely those reasons!

Going past someone who's got the same amount of power boost as you and turning your back to him might well amount to spelling your own death sentence. But either way, I presume there's something in the wording that prevents that result from taking place.