Dungeon master type - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Dungeon master type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternall Newbie View Post
I have a DM who makes incredibly hard encounters and then brings in an NPC he controls to save the party. Is there a name for this?

I mean we've had 5 sessions and 4 of them had this character show up to avoid a TPK. Is there a name for this type of DM?
"Beginner mistakes".

I mean, technically he could be running a sandbox, but then why is he saving you?
Unless you're in some kind of dungeon where you can't retreat, at this point I'd advise you to retreat and look for other options. Come back to this once you level up elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
This is something you need to have a conversation with your GM about. They need to know that this sort of behavior isn't fun for you and that you want to see something different. Maybe your GM is just inexperienced, maybe they're frustrated and don't know any other way to express it. But if you let this go un-treated, it's going to get worse before it gets better.
^^^^^This^^^^^

Talk with your GM, talk with the other players to see if you are the only one who dislikes it. If talking fails and nothing gets better or things actually get worse, at least you tried and know where you are at with the group. Not talking will likely only make it go on or get worse.

First step is to see where everyone is standing, what are the things they like and what do they not like. Then you try to figure out how to resolve the things together. Lastly you all need to keep on the path to what you as a group agreed on. If you can manage, it might make for a good wrap up for each session for everyone to mention what they liked and what they hope to see in the next sessions.

Quote:
We are in a dungeon we can't retreat, We were captured by the lizardfolk in a cutscene and are trying to fight our way out.
Next time the NPC appears, ask him to take you out with him before he fazes out!

"You're so powerful, and you obviously care, since you've been saving us over and over. And we definitely need your help! Obviously, we can't even deal with them when we've got them surprised. Please help us!"

Best delivered by finishing with a formal bow to underscore the request!

And if that doesn't work, talk with the GM, as Raveled said.
Or you can start by talking, I don't know what works best for your group!

We had a DM like this for a while. He would always bring in the same guy to save us, and if anyone outshined him in anyway that person would end up not making it. Me and my friend called that DMing style "public masturbation".

The thing is, it's unclear which of the following two scenarios is happening:

1.) The DM is deliberately putting you in difficult situations because they love their super-NPC and want to show them off.

2.) The DM is trying their very best to balance the encounters but is just bad at it. They start every encounter thinking it's going to be fair, and then when it goes off the rails, they hit the panic button because they don't want to kill the whole party and end the campaign.

Scenario 1 is a problem of your DM's personality. Scenario 2 is a problem of your DM's experience with the game system. Further, if it's Scenario 2, they may very well think that they're being nice and helping you out by not ruthlessly killing you. I would say the first step is to try to determine which scenario it is—even before talking to your DM about it. Because the two options require very different approaches, and you will really offend your DM if you accuse them of just trying to show off with their pet NPC if they're legitimately trying to give you balanced encounters (but are failing).

My advice is, next time you're in an encounter that starts to go south, retreat. Don't fight until one of you goes down, just back up and run away. If he's honestly trying to keep you alive, the monsters will let you go. If suddenly the path is blocked, you get knocked out again, and here comes super-NPC...well, then you have your answer.

Quote:
I have a DM who makes incredibly hard encounters and then brings in an NPC he controls to save the party. Is there a name for this?

I mean we've had 5 sessions and 4 of them had this character show up to avoid a TPK. Is there a name for this type of DM?
Newb.

Experienced DMs don't do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz Hoosier View Post
Remember to make a compliment sandwich if you decide to bring it up with the DM.

"You've come up with a lot of great ideas for the game so far. Balancing the encounters better so we don't have to be bailed out by NPCs all the time would help. You've been so creative in the narrative."
^ I second this. You can exert much more influence over people when they perceive you as coming from a benevolent place. If you come off as hostile or accusing, they'll tend to put emotional walls up and save their ego instead of admitting fault and correction their behavior. Also, consider the possibility that they are legitimately unaware of their behavior, or the problems that it causes.

Maybe your DM is just having trouble balancing his encounters and keeps accidentally threatening to TPK you but doesn't want to. Maybe his pet NPC is the only way he can think of to get you out. *shrug*