Traveller setting Q&A - Page 3 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Traveller setting Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
So she should input a square root of (2,25X10^11)/9,8 and then divide by 86400 to get days? All of this to get the answer "you need slightly more than 42 hours"?
Well, at least it was surprisingly fun to actually calculate!
It gets better!

It takes 88.7 days to go 255,000,000 km according to the books. Good thing AU is divisible by not only two but by four so i can round off figures and still bear suspension of belief.

Note the little comment about "if you have the fuel". A chemical rocket *might* have enough fuel to accelerate for 1 day, coast along for X days and decelerate for 1 day at the far end. This will take a lot longer.

1 day @ 1 g = ~850km/s velocity
~300 days of coasting (+/- for accel/decel).
another day to decel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernskies View Post
Note the little comment about "if you have the fuel". A chemical rocket *might* have enough fuel to accelerate for 1 day, coast along for X days and decelerate for 1 day at the far end. This will take a lot longer.

1 day @ 1 g = ~850km/s velocity
~300 days of coasting (+/- for accel/decel).
another day to decel.
It is definitely educational. The only thing I haven't googled is how long it takes to slow down.

But you're forgetting that standard issue maneuver drives (which function on a different principle) don't consume fuel themselves (just the power plant). Without needing to jump a free trader can flip it to full throttle and go in excess of five months before running out. Then you have the hole where the jump drive was. Another two+ months if filled with fuel.

The AP beltstrike (which i mentioned when i started this question) is TL9 by default. High enough for such drives but at just the right point to potentially exclude jump drives as they come at the end of TL9. Chemical rockets are already obsolete. While expensive thrust 6 ships can be built in MgT 1e or if MgT 2e thrust 1 grav (which is more fuel efficient than ever with new rules for power plants) or thrust 9 chemical (at extreme fuel usage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena_ishtar View Post
It is definitely educational. The only thing I haven't googled is how long it takes to slow down.
Accel and Decel are the same duration (50% to turnover, the 50% to stop again). That's the '2x' part of the equation.

Back the trade question, I found my Classic books.

eg: Polymers have a Base Price of 7k, on an Industrial world, if applies a buy DM of -2 and a sell DM of -2.
If both Actual Value rolls are 7, you buy at 80% and sell at 80%. If you use a +2 Broker, you sell at 100% (but lose 10% in commission fees).

eg2: Aircraft have a Base Price of 1M, on an Industrial world, it applies a buy DM of -4 and a sell DM of 0.
Again, if both Actual Value rolls are 7, you buy at 50% and sell at 100%; using a +2 Broker you sell at 120% less 10% fees (a +4 broker nets 150% less 20% fees!).

For both, it is presumed you cannot buy and sell in the same week (as the local market forces would already have made all the 'good' transactions).