Optimizing Damok, Dragon Hunter - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Optimizing Damok, Dragon Hunter

Optimizing Damok, Dragon Hunter

Hey everybody. I'm finished making my character that I'm going to play in a D&D 3.5 game that I sign up for in this forum. I made my character Damok, Dragon Hunter. He's a Chaotic Good Male Human Ranger. He actually hunts dragons (Well evil dragons) and I put an effort to choose the right feats, skills, weapons and gear. Here's Damok sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1168198 Ok my plan is that I'm going to cause damage mostly with his longbow. Which he can shoot in melee as well. So what do you think of my character sheet? Feel free to critique my character.

Your character is ok...I guess. You are going to be needing a few more levels before taking on a true dragon. Otherwise, you are just dragon food.

As an aside: How are you shooting in melee? Doing so as you have your character right now is only going to open you up to Attacks of opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Golem View Post
Your character is ok...I guess. You are going to be needing a few more levels before taking on a true dragon. Otherwise, you are just dragon food.

As an aside: How are you shooting in melee? Doing so as you have your character right now is only going to open you up to Attacks of opportunity.
I got Point Blanl Shot and Precise Shot feats. So that let my character shoot in melee without taking the -4 penalty.

Precise Shot lets you shoot into melee without penalty.
Shooting from melee will still provoke an Attack of Opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
Precise Shot lets you shoot into melee without penalty.
Shooting from melee will still provoke an Attack of Opportunity.
Really? What's the difference?

The difference is that a penalty on your attack roll is not the provoking of an attack of opportunity.

shooting into melee: your target is in melee, not necessarily with you

shooting from melee: you are in melee, not necessarily with your target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
The difference is that a penalty on your attack roll is not the provoking of an attack of opportunity.

shooting into melee: your target is in melee, not necessarily with you

shooting from melee: you are in melee, not necessarily with your target
Ok I get it now.

To brighten your day a bit: the spell Arrow Mind will allow you to not get punched in the face every time you shoot a bow. It's a 1st level spell for rangers, so you just need 4 levels and at least a 12 in Wis to start using it.

To keep it simple, and this is me assuming you want your character to be an archer and not go into a gish build.

Grab the swift hunter feat from complete scoundrel. Then just go Ranger 15/Scout 5. By the end you're going to have the skirmish damage of a 20th level Scout and every important ranger ability. Grab a bane weapon as fast as you can and you'll be good to go.

Additionally, you could grab the Dragon Stalker prestige class from draconomicon. Something like Ranger 3/Rogue 7/Dragon Stalker 10. The prestige class focuses on dealing sneak attack damage to dragons, gets bonuses to ignore their natural defenses and avoid detection from dragon senses. By the end, the prestige class alone gives you a handy +10d6 sneak attack damage against dragons on top of all the other abilities.

Or just take a 5ft step.

You can't always take a 5ft step to get out of melee, and it will suck if you're not able to - but this is L1. Having to drop your bow and go into melee now and then is not really the end of the world, especially given that your attack with a longsword is almost identical to your attack with a bow (same AB, same damage or better if you two-hand it).

At higher levels, you'll probably want ways to get out of melee - but by then you'll be able to afford magic items and stuff so will have access to short range teleportation (e.g. Anklets of Translocation from the MIC), etc.

You don't really have a lot to play with as a L1 Ranger. My main advice would probably be to take less Con and more Dex. Con is a great stat but Dex determines your to-hit with ranged attacks, which is your main thing (plus it gives you initiative, AC, and relevant skills). It's a pretty key stat for you.

Also get a buckler. IIRC you can use one with a bow without penalty, so may as well - every little +1 AC helps at L1. A spiked gauntlet is also a good idea as lets you threaten adjacent foes even whilst your bow is out. At L1 basically everyone should get one even if it's just because it gives you a chance to avoid some combat manoeuvres (notably grapples).