The Expanse - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

The Expanse

Love the show. Waiting to sink my teeth into S3.

Also hoping for a S2 of Altered Carbon.

Me too! It's coming, I know that much.

Binge watching in progress....

Thoughts to come later.

Enjoy, Root!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
I haven't read the books.

I'm not sure what in particular I like about it. It's got a decent plot, decent characters, a decent mix of action and intrigue... none of that really stands out particularly, but it's also pretty well put-together, with some great scenes. It's also nice to see a mostly-hard sci-fi with a level of realism; it really does make you feel like space is a hostile place and not just a backdrop (contrast e.g. Star Wars which basically may as well not be in space), zero-gravity is a thing which people have to deal with, etc etc.
I have not read the books either so everything is taken with eyes open to the screen without all the expansive knowledge that comes from reading books that have the time to introduce so much more information than a movie or a TV series ever can.

I saw this thread open last week. I've run out of good shows to watch right now and I thought "Heck, why not give it a shot"
I'm almost to the end of Season 2 now. I have to agree with much of what Fred said. I can't really put my finger on what it is exactly that I like. I am enjoying more of the realism involved with Gravity and the different cultural anchors that come with Belters, Earthers, and Martians. I rather enjoy the different dialects to give it enough of a dose of reality, but also to not lock us into watching a screen with subtitles. I freaking hate reading subtitels. Occasionally its fine, but I have no desire to read my shows/movies, if I was going to do that then I would rather just read the books.

Another thing I like is that the technology is such that humanity is still limited to our own solar system and I think that is something that makes it more relate able. Star Wars, Star Trek, while I love them, are so huge and travel seems unlimited and without effect on the human body. The Expanse has reeled that in for me and given me some boundaries to relate with and try to comprehend.

Anyhow, I am enjoying it. I can't say it's the best show on TV, that would be hyperbole I'm not comfortable with but I will say that the acting is much better than anything I would have expected from the Sci Fi channel and it even has a few "stars" that are recognizable. I'll be honest, it's been years since I even watched Sci Fi because usually the acting was so bad. I'm glad I had a lull in shows to watch and this thread turned me onto a show that is worth watching. It took a few episodes to really get into the plot and all the players. If I had turned it off in the first episode or two, that would have been sad.

Looking forward to more!

And Root just hit upon a key factor not just for The Expanse but for almost all entertainment: quitting something after the first twenty minutes (or twenty pages) isn't the same as experiencing something and not liking it.

To like or not like something, it would be helpful to have enough information and experience at your disposal to make a reasoned decision. Sticking with something that starts off slow is a necessary skill to develop unless you exclusively watch eleven-minute Aqua Teen Hunger Force episodes (which, for what it's worth, are also awesome).

I can’t tell you how many great books I would have never read if I put them down because they started slow. I mean, LotR started extremely slow, but I stuck with it and it’s one of the most epic stories of all time. It would have been a shame to have never read it

Mind you, there's quite the list of things over the years that I probably should have dropped after 20 pages, but you're not wrong. Learning to spot the stuff that might be going somewhere is tricky, so I tend to bull ahead no matter what, which is why most of my DNF books are around the 70-80% finished mark or so.

Now, that's different. If at the 70% or 80% mark something still feels like it sucks - be it book, movie, video game, whatever - it just sucks (at least for you). Full stop. Time to move on. Luckily, we live in an age where the options are endless, so moving on at that point isn't a problem generally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlinmc View Post
To like or not like something, it would be helpful to have enough information and experience at your disposal to make a reasoned decision. Sticking with something that starts off slow is a necessary skill to develop unless you exclusively watch eleven-minute Aqua Teen Hunger Force episodes (which, for what it's worth, are also awesome).
Something something millennials something instant gratification something?

I mean, it's important for a thing to try and hook you early on and if it has a slow start, that's definitely a shortcoming - but there are definitely things which, whilst marred by that, are well worth sticking with (e.g. Dirk Gently - though that's not a slow start, just a confusing one). I think I tend to stick with things more than a lot of people and honestly there's a lot of stuff I probably should have dropped sooner, but I don't expect or even want everything to dive right into the action straight away.