Forthcoming Changes Mar 3 2018 - Page 4 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Forthcoming Changes Mar 3 2018

I'd just like to state, for the record, I am not thrilled with this change. I primarily use the site when things are slow at work. I am 99.9% sure this change will make that impossible to do safely if not impossible to do at all. And even in the off chance it doesn't render it impossible, it is going to mean I am going to have to do more leg work on my end to pull it off.

Is there any chance you will be putting character sheets on an App that can simply be downloaded and edited on the memory of the device the App is downloaded too? Decouple them from the website a bit? That suddenly looks like it's going to be the only way I can reliably use that function anymore if my fears are confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
@Sephirothsword117

Iím sorry, what? Why would this change your ability to use the site?
The linking with Social Media will trigger the company's "Computer Security." They have all the normal mainstream social media sites (Facebook, Youtube, ext.) blocked, as well as basically all major Email carriers that aren't there in house work Email service. (Yahoo, Gmail, ext.)

I have yet to encounter a website that required my Email, or had prominent linking with the normal social media type sites, that does not trigger said "Computer Security." and block off the site, and bring my boss to the desk asking what I'm trying to do. (Corporates official position that that these sites are too risky because it would be too easy to leak proprietary information on them if you could access them at work.)

And unfortunately my phone cannot get a damn signal in the part of the building my desk is in so that's out.

Ergo: Betting pretty overwhelmingly this little change up is going to severely curtal my access to "When you aren't at work, aren't sleeping, aren't juggling classes, and aren't trying to deal with a real social life." as opposed to "When your at work, it's 3 AM and slow, and you've gotten as far as you can on your class work as you can for now cause the prof won't just unlock the whole thing at the start of the semester and let you have at it."

@Sephirothsword117

We already have links to social media on the site (both in the header and footer of the forums), and their auth services are not embedded on any of our pages - it's a link out with a callback to log in that way (should a user choose to). In that sense, the amount of linking that we already have is equivalent to what there will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo View Post
@Sephirothsword117

We already have links to social media on the site (both in the header and footer of the forums), and their auth services are not embedded on any of our pages - it's a link out with a callback to log in that way (should a user choose to). In that sense, the amount of linking that we already have is equivalent to what there will be.
Will see then. I'll post again if when the 2nd rolls around I go to stick my head in here and have to write it off to my boss as a typo in the search bar five to ten minutes later.

Does this mean I should download my important character sheets, lest they all be wiped again?

Edit: this was poorly worded. I basically want to know whether or not there is any risk of a full wipe of anything within 6 months, like what happened a short while back. If there is, I'll be sure to download my files for good measure.

Backups are performed each night, and the bottom of the page of the site is updated to reflect it. Incidentally, today was also the most recent test of restoring backups.

I’ll also be taking a backup before starting, please see the first post of this thread where I explain the schedule and process.

The sheets db is not getting modified by this change.

@Rodrigo- is there anyway to have a second username? For instance, since I use my real name, there are frankly a few times I've considered the implications of doing so. Often it helps- I don't get in flame wars since I am clearly me. And usually I don't care, but... job hunts, bosses, etc... So there is a certain appeal to it. I've never bothered to do it because I have a more than enough posts tied to my name. However, if I could have a "current username" and keep old drkrough there, by some magical and voodoo technological marvel that eludes me, that'd be aces in my book.

Reminder! We're a little under 24h out from our planned downtime!

I rehearsed the upgrade the other night, and it looks like the upgrade will take the full 4hrs I've allotted.