Local multiplayer for PC - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Local multiplayer for PC

Local multiplayer for PC

Howdy folks,

I'm looking for multiplayer games for the PC, with the intent to HDMI them to a TV for local play. So far, the following titles have caught my eye:

-Crawl
-Stick Fight: The Game
-Screencheat

Can anyone offer feedback on the above, or additional recommendations?

Edit: I'm looking for controller-friendly games, if possible.

Borderlands 2
Secret of Mana(3 Player Only)
FEAR 3
Starcraft
Command and Conquer(All the Multiplayer of the Westwood Games is Free Online the fan mods are excellent)
Dark Souls(no seriously it'll be the most rewarding dungeon crawl you ever went on - if you can coordinate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomsviking View Post
Borderlands 2
Secret of Mana(3 Player Only)
FEAR 3
Starcraft
Command and Conquer(All the Multiplayer of the Westwood Games is Free Online the fan mods are excellent)
Dark Souls(no seriously it'll be the most rewarding dungeon crawl you ever went on - if you can coordinate)
None of those (except maybe Secret of Mana) are local multiplayer on PC.

For recommendations, is there any genre you like or dislike?

Overcooked 1 & 2 are great fun. Helldivers can be fun if you like top down shooters. The top-down Lara Croft games (Guardian of Light and Temple of Osiris) are supposedly good as well.

All of those are local multiplayer with little to no modding. Espescially Dark Souls as you can simply set a password and follow each other between summon signs.

Do you perhaps mean split screen multiplayer?

Thats split screen multiplayer. Of which Borderlands2 certainly is. Local multiplayer means games played over LAN. Dark Souls is not really local. But the way summoning works with passwords it might as well be.

Putting Baldur's Gate on the list as well.

Given that the intention is to put the games on a TV and then "play locally", and the fact that all the games in the list are splitscreen/couch-coop (and some that can't even work otherwise), I think it's safe to assume that splitscreen is what was meant. But OP can correct us.

You’re going to have to find some mods to get borderlands 2 to work in split screen on the PC. That’s a console-only feature, for some reason.

The Tales series all have local device multiplayer of a sort. Divinity Original Sin I and II both have splitscreen multiplayer, and are a ton of fun. Just about any fighting game has local device multiplayer - Dragonball FighterZ, Injustice, that kind of thing (Although that’s not exactly co-op). Portal 2 is a classic with local co-op (though the word co-op is used loosely here). Crypt of the NecroDancer, BattleBlock Theater, and Castle Crashers are all fun little games with shared multiplayer. Most all of the LEGO games have shared multiplayer, although I can only recommend LEGO Star Wars - haven’t played the others. Magicka and Magicka 2 are also both games that I highly recommend with shared multiplayer, although they are kinda clunky on a controller. Magicka 2 is a bit better in that regard, because it was designed with controller use in mind, but I enjoy the first one much more.

Yeah, I meant splitscreen as opposed to LAN. Family/friends gaming on the couch, using wireless controllers to play on the big TV.

I'd like to avoid Bullet Hell games, as well as anything overly gory (for reference, Skyrim is the upper limit of what I'd consider acceptable gore in this context).

I'm not opposed to competitive games, but co-op is accessible to a wider portion of family and friends.

Beyond avoiding bullet hells, I'm not too picky about genre. I like beat-'em-ups but not everyone in the family does.