Kind of Cyber Punk Super Hero game using Fate core... let's discuss.

This sounds like a fun concept, especially as it seems to combine a lot of genres and themes I enjoy. Count me interested.

I like Shihong's idea about a Corp-sponsored team. If you combined that with the rough background that was outlined, it's possible that some members come from inside the Corp itself - if Corps have hundreds of thousands of employees, many no better than indentured servants, living and working in their arcologies on anything from administration to engineering to farming, there are bound to be some 'employees' that awaken to powers while under contract. Or as children of current employees (probably covered by their parents' contracts). Even with training costs, that recruitment is probably a good use of corporate resources.

Of course, the employees may feel differently.

(I'll admit, like Raveled I probably fall more on the side of preferring vaguely ethical heroes; or at least conflicted. Possibly along the lines of 'corporate employees slowly discovering their employer's malfeasance', and how they deal with it - especially in the world MPFG has posited. But that wouldn't necessarily be a given, and I'm sure other alternatives are enjoyable, too.)

I am vaguely familiar with FATE - I know most of the basic concepts, but haven't had a lot of experience playing in it.

See I want our characters to be both ethical and conflicted in what they're doing either way. Both ways the teams would ostensibly be fighting the good fight it's just that the lines get blurry. Which is something we could explore from either side of the tracks.

It is looking like people are leaning more towards a corporately backed team of heroes. Mind you I will make you guys aware of some stuff that will make you question those allegiances. Whatever good the corporations may have done or may do this is a definitively cyber punk influenced game and the corporations are not the good guys at all. You will be asked by your minders to do questionable things, you will uncover horrific secrets etc etc. I am fine exploring that from the corporate team angle but this will not be a shiny game.

So if that's how we're leaning let's explore that. Talk about the world and some specifics.

Does anyone have any questions or ideas? Including character concepts or Ideas for conspiracies to be uncovered or enemies to be faced?

I assume we're using Venture City rules for the super powers?

No, like mentioned in the first post: This game will use the Daring Comics hack.
It is a more detailed rulesset, but also more defined what you can and canīt do.

But it allows also for power stunts, to allow for creative power uses normally not covered by you power.
Example: Bob is a speedster. But he wants to run so fast, that he can phase through a wall. The GM says, that is okay, moving so fast that his molecules can pass through is a thing he has already seen in comic books.
Bob has to spend a fatepoint and do a overcome roll if he can do this.

The venture city hack never quite jived with me. It seemed like a half measure. I want some fun and some crunch if we're going that way. I'll add the hippy rules light parts and bend and break rules as the story warrants it that's no concern. I'll not be playing a Fate version of gurps / hero system but I find that it really helps to have some structured bits to take from and build your character.

If anyone needs help with the system / rules just let me or Althrion know.

However that won't be a concern until well after the ad drops and we're through the first phase of the application process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicPixieFatGuy View Post
See I want our characters to be both ethical and conflicted in what they're doing either way. Both ways the teams would ostensibly be fighting the good fight it's just that the lines get blurry. Which is something we could explore from either side of the tracks.

It is looking like people are leaning more towards a corporately backed team of heroes. Mind you I will make you guys aware of some stuff that will make you question those allegiances. Whatever good the corporations may have done or may do this is a definitively cyber punk influenced game and the corporations are not the good guys at all. You will be asked by your minders to do questionable things, you will uncover horrific secrets etc etc. I am fine exploring that from the corporate team angle but this will not be a shiny game.

So if that's how we're leaning let's explore that. Talk about the world and some specifics.

Does anyone have any questions or ideas? Including character concepts or Ideas for conspiracies to be uncovered or enemies to be faced?
Building off of the idea of corporate-owned arcologies and burbclaves, how about the game is set in a city in which corporations have completely divided things up among themselves and are constantly vying to increase the boundaries of their territories; basically a sprawling megalopolis undergoing a sort of corporate-balkanization. If you live in a sector owned by a corporation, pretty much everything you own is going to be provided by that corporation in one form or another, from the computer you use to plug into the rest of the world to the clothes you wear to the food you eat and the couch you veg on. Chances are you're also de-facto employees of that corporation, and all the aforementioned goods and services come right out of your paycheck.

Get fired for whatever reason? Well that also means you're getting evicted and most of your possessions (which, if you had read the fine print, were never really yours) will be repossessed, so that a productive little worker bee can take your place. The only good news is that neighboring corporations will greedily snap you up and offer you exactly the same deal, but with their own line of superior (they insist) products and living arrangements. And chances are you'll take that deal, because the alternatives are far less comfortable.

Some possible plot points
- Shadow super teams built around corporate espionage
- Forced to ignore rampaging villains because "they're trashing rival corporation's image" right now
- Possibly finding out that your company hired the rampaging villains
- Discovery of illegal squatter camp in corporate housing: do you report and evict, or help them stay under the radar

Question about this world:
I would normally imagine a team cape game to be centered around "doing good". However, once you get a corporate sponsor, you enter corporate politics and maneuvering. Once the corporation starts telling you what to do, you lose the "hero-ing" and become just a powered security team. I'm not sure where on the spectrum this falls.

I would love to play a game with the Batman Beyond feel, but less interested in mutant Shadowrunning.

Also, I have no FATE experience.

Well I like cyberpunk stuff. I like superhero stuff. I love morally grey world setups. I need to learn Fate. I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock View Post
I would normally imagine a team cape game to be centered around "doing good". However, once you get a corporate sponsor, you enter corporate politics and maneuvering. Once the corporation starts telling you what to do, you lose the "hero-ing" and become just a powered security team. I'm not sure where on the spectrum this falls.

I would love to play a game with the Batman Beyond feel, but less interested in mutant Shadowrunning.
In shadowrun you donīt experience a morality dilemma.
The heroes may start in the unknown, thinking they are doing good. But as the game progresses, this changes.

And well: the cooperation side is not the "good" side.

Manic is hippy enough to let us start as company thralls and then to desert it, becoming terrorists or to try to change it from the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihong View Post
Building off of the idea of corporate-owned arcologies and burbclaves, how about the game is set in a city in which corporations have completely divided things up among themselves and are constantly vying to increase the boundaries of their territories; basically a sprawling megalopolis undergoing a sort of corporate-balkanization. If you live in a sector owned by a corporation, pretty much everything you own is going to be provided by that corporation in one form or another, from the computer you use to plug into the rest of the world to the clothes you wear to the food you eat and the couch you veg on. Chances are you're also de-facto employees of that corporation, and all the aforementioned goods and services come right out of your paycheck.

Get fired for whatever reason? Well that also means you're getting evicted and most of your possessions (which, if you had read the fine print, were never really yours) will be repossessed, so that a productive little worker bee can take your place. The only good news is that neighboring corporations will greedily snap you up and offer you exactly the same deal, but with their own line of superior (they insist) products and living arrangements. And chances are you'll take that deal, because the alternatives are far less comfortable.
You sir get the gist of it. I will add that sometimes whole territories, cities, or even island sized settlements belong to a single corporation. That infighting, but especially the idea of the corporation being the hand that feed... which can go away and take everything with it, the idea of modern day serfdom is going to be a hugely important factor if only as inspiration and backdrop (depending on how things go).

These are if anything inspirations and backgrounds I want to explore with the players.

Quote:
Some possible plot points
- Shadow super teams built around corporate espionage
- Forced to ignore rampaging villains because "they're trashing rival corporation's image" right now
- Possibly finding out that your company hired the rampaging villains
- Discovery of illegal squatter camp in corporate housing: do you report and evict, or help them stay under the radar
You've got the right idea here. Being asked to ignore things, do things that you find otherwise despicable, work with or ignore villains. If we go corporate these will all be very salient plot points. Hard choices and things to question... are you the good guys or do you just appear to be? and what are you going to do about it?

Quote:

Also, I have no FATE experience.
Not really shadow running per se, that isn't the goal but this most assuredly isn't a shiny spandex capes game. Its going to be dirty and grey. You guys will be heroic, you will be heroes, if you choose to be. It's just that the corporations only appear that way and by extension you in their employ will only appear that way. They worry over their goals and the optics of a situation. Not on true heroism and doing what's right. That's where the fun comes in... what will you guys do about it? How will you process it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althrion View Post
In shadowrun you donīt experience a morality dilemma.
The heroes may start in the unknown, thinking they are doing good. But as the game progresses, this changes.

And well: the cooperation side is not the "good" side.

Manic is hippy enough to let us start as company thralls and then to desert it, becoming terrorists or to try to change it from the inside.
Althrion may officially now speak for me sometimes lololol. This is exactly true, this is the goal and the idea boiled down and simplified..... and yes, yes I am a hippy.