Unique Gestalt Class Combinations - Page 3 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Unique Gestalt Class Combinations

I've always had great success with Kineticist in Gestalt. I want to love Kineticist, but a vanilla Paizo only Kineticist is often lackluster. Gestalt can add so many options and little pseudo-fixes that let Kineticist run wild. Most of them end up in melee with a Kinetic Blade, though, due to the ranged blast's wording about how you are never counted as wielding it, which negates the ability to use a lot of ranged feats.

And just as a weird build:
Rogue or Ninja|Investigator gets all skills as class skills except for Fly, Ride, Survival, and Handle Animal.
Be an Old Human to start with 22 Intelligence and use a trait to grab Finding Haleen for more skill points. And then take Eclectic to mark both sides of the Gestalt as your favored class. 8 from class, 6 from Int, 1 from race, 3 from Favored Class. That's 18 skill points a level with nearly everything as a class skill. You can easily grab them with traits. If using DSP Psionics, you can also take Open Minded for another point per level.
Why would you want to do this? I dunno.

I don't have the PF stuff on the kineticist, but if I did a gestalt, I might definitely enjoy a warlock combo... not sure about what I'd take with it, though... cleric, rogue, wizard?

Kineticist is pretty cool (if weird and pretty badly written) and ought to work fairly well in gestalt in that it gives you a reliable blast and probably some utility that you can tack onto pretty much anything (and use the other class for something with a bit more punch, like a caster, or some actual utility whilst you home the Kineticist in on blasting). It's quite hard to combine it with something which enhances its strength, though - I think I once made a pretty disgusting melee Fire Kineticist gestalt using Blistering Feint and Two-Weapon Feint, but it was pretty one-trick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
Admit it, that's just because you know nobody will have the slightest idea what you can actually do.
For a crazy 3rd-party-PF tristalt game someone was trying recently I did mock up a Vizier|Pactmaker|Medium with a view to being completely reconfigurable each day... just turned into a bit of a headache though.

Medium|Binder would probably actually work best at melee, at least at low levels (Champion is one of the better Medium spirits and a lot of Binder vestiges are melee-focused, and it's a bit hard for anything other than melee to be your plan before you get 2+ vestiges... I guess if you also had Archmage from Medium it wouldn't be too bad, but still, I'd probably wait until L8+). It's a pretty thematic combo, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djacob91 View Post
One thought would be to go with Witch|Wizard. Not exactly a grand creative idea, but if you grab the Healing patron then you get the healing/restoration line and debuffs from the witch side, plus all the various utility from wizard to have basically all, well most at least, of the spells.
The classes are pretty un-synergistic, actually, except in terms of Int - you get shedloads of spells and hexes, but hexes are like at-will spells for saving you slots or backups for if you run low anyway, and you don't really care about that. Plus the lists, whilst different, still have a fair bit of overlap. However both the classes are very strong classes in the first place so this is obviously still going to do pretty well.

Is this meant to be an optimization thread?

I created a monk-ninja (with a dip into Occultist) as a buffer/frontline person a bit ago that I do want to run, based around the Sensei archetype, Forgotten Trick, and a Ring of Ki Mastery. At that point, you're giving away any Monk ability, Qinggong power, or Ninja Trick you know to anyone within 30'. As an example, this lets you cast True Strike on someone else from across the battle.

I don't know if I'd call it optimized, but it seemed like it'd be fun.

@JAMRenaissance - It is technically an optimization thread, but it doesn't mean your build has to be overpowered.

I started it out of curiosity to see what cool combinations people could create using various class abilities/combos.

The Sensei archetype and its passing out Monk abilities is a good one, but combining it with the Ninja Trick "Forgotten Skill" actually opens up a LOT of options. It is combos like that that are fun to hear about.

I've done the Sensei trick in a previously short lived gestalt game, but I comboed it with the Shaman class on the other side in order to use Chant hex + Luck hex to allow my team to constantly reroll 1 dice every turn while still saving my standard action to hand out True Strikes/Barkskins/ ect....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltedzies View Post
@JAMRenaissance - It is technically an optimization thread, but it doesn't mean your build has to be overpowered.

I started it out of curiosity to see what cool combinations people could create using various class abilities/combos.

The Sensei archetype and its passing out Monk abilities is a good one, but combining it with the Ninja Trick "Forgotten Skill" actually opens up a LOT of options. It is combos like that that are fun to hear about.

I've done the Sensei trick in a previously short lived gestalt game, but I comboed it with the Shaman class on the other side in order to use Chant hex + Luck hex to allow my team to constantly reroll 1 dice every turn while still saving my standard action to hand out True Strikes/Barkskins/ ect....
There are optimizations, particularly if you want to combine it with another class that operates off Wisdom. At level 3, take Linnorm Style, which gives you Wisdom to damage (assuming they swing at you first). At level 5, Ascetic Style to make any modifications to unarmed strike affect all Monk weapons, including the aforementioned Linnorm Style. Your attack, defense, and damage are now all based off of Wisdom, which lets you run Reliquarian Occultist/Empyreal Sorcerer/Cleric/Warpriest/whatever on the other side.

I've never run the Linnorm/Ascetic direction (I haven't had a character that it fit for until recently, and even then she isn't a Sensei), but I feel pretty confident about it...

I have another idea I'm bouncing around but haven't totally been able to find the right game/character idea to try it... the best way to create a speedster in Pathfinder. As of right now, I'm thinking a gestalt version would be full Fire Elemental Urban Bloodrager on one end; the other end would have a one level dip into Reliquarian Occultist, and then the rest is Monk.

If you start with an elf that has the long limbed and put every monk fcb into speed. The Reliquarian Occultist is to get the Travel Domain and the Transmutation Implement (Sudden Speed focus power). At first level, you're moving 55' (30+5 for long limbed+10 for Travel Domain+10 for Bloodrager Fast Movement), with the options of either the Sudden Speed focus power or Expeditious Retreat spell for an extra 30'/turn ("sprinting"). At 4th (3 Monk, 1 Occultist), Monk fast movement kicks in for 65'. At 6th, the FCB's add up to a 5 for 70'. At 7th, Monk fast movement brings you up to 80'. At 8th, Bloodrager Fire speed knocks it up to 110'. This is all done without taking up feats or equipment; you could buy some Boots of Striding and Springing early on, but they become obsolete at 4th.

You need some other ability in order to be able to use two Styles at once though, don't you (unless maybe you can get it from Monk or something)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
You need some other ability in order to be able to use two Styles at once though, don't you (unless maybe you can get it from Monk or something)?
I was originally thinking Weapon Style Mastery, but as I never actually went down this path (never had a reason to), I realize that is NOT the roadblock.

The roadblock is having the weapon training feature.

Sorry, it's a TWO feat investment. The prereq is met with Martial Focus.

No experience with Gestault but enjoy reading about it.

Lavrence post made me think of a fire bomb tossing Alchemist I've seen played in Pathfinder that was durn good. And thinking that Fighter for ALL the FEATS - would probably make it even more so.

*Woah - Zen Archer Alchemist. Doesn't jive with bow based abilities. But still just such a fun concept. Blind-foldedly making bombs and blind-foldedly throwing them right where your foes don't want them thrown. (At least as per some concepts of the Zen Archer monk shooting a bow blindfolded.) Zen Archer monk is - Flurry of Bows. With some GM hand-waving for Flurry of Bombs... [don't do it GMs - still fun concept with Dex / Wis to Ranged attacks]