Unique Gestalt Class Combinations - Page 4 - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Unique Gestalt Class Combinations

+1 fot an alchemist, I'm not sure what would be best to couple it to though, maybe monk, pt ýabe one of those newgangled classes from the ACG... like a slayer or an investigator, or maybe even a bloodrager... buffing himself (and possibly the rest of the party via infusions) and tossing bombes before it's melee time, then becoming a furious war machine.

Alchemist//Investigator seems like a pretty good pairing. Just pick one of the archetypes (like Empiricist) that trades away the duplicate poison abilities.

It's not particularly powerful, but I've always thought Aegis//Soulknife was a fun combo.

An Unchained Monk [Zen Archer] || Alchemist [Grenadier] can be a whole lot of fun especially if you take the Explosive Missile and Cognatogen discoveries.
  • If you want to full attack just pop a Wisdom Cognatogen to boost your to hit and the DC's on any monk abilities.
  • If you want to do do bigger single damage, infuse a bomb with various possible additions into your arrow using Exlposive Missile and then if you still need added range use the Directed Blast ability of Grenadier to make your arrow attack erupt into a cone explosion. (Use Perfect Strike to make sure the attack isnt wasted)
  • If you have the cash, use your Alchemical weapon ability to infuse alchemical mixtures into your arrows. At 15th level this becomes a free action which means you can full attack with you 6+ attacks and infuse each and every one with an alchemical threat.

Of interesting note: The Explosive Missile discovery makes no mention of how long the infusion lasts once you infuse it into the ammunition. It only states that if the explosive missile misses it does not detonate. By RAW, you can spend your morning to infuse every one of your bombs for the day into arrows and save them for whenever you need them that day.

Without too much effort, you could easily get your arrows doing (Unarmed Damage + Bomb Damage + Wisdom Modifier) by level 5. Admittedly it is a limited number of times per day but when you REALLY want your arrows to pack a punch it is a solid combo.

Alternatively, if your DM will let you take the Lesy racial Herbalist archetype for Alchemist you could make yourself Wisdom SAD, but make sure your DM will allow you to use the Explosive Missile discovery in conjunction with your seed pods, otherwise it isn't as useful. You give up being able to infuse alchemical items into your ammo but becoming Wisdom sad really helps strengthen your overall build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses Dare View Post
Alchemist//Investigator seems like a pretty good pairing. Just pick one of the archetypes (like Empiricist) that trades away the duplicate poison abilities.

It's not particularly powerful, but I've always thought Aegis//Soulknife was a fun combo.
Actually, Investigator being a derivative class from the alchemist, I'm no longer so sure the combo is allowable.

and I never even thought about psionic class... a psion/alchemist might be interesting. (then again, I'm a big psion fan, so I would cook that class into every type of sauce I find)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
Actually, Investigator being a derivative class from the alchemist, I'm no longer so sure the combo is allowable.
The rule about not hybrid classes not being able to multiclass with their parent classes was dropped some time ago. And it never applied to gestalt anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltedzies View Post
[INDENT]An Unchained Monk [Zen Archer] || Alchemist [Grenadier] can be a whole lot of fun especially if you take the Explosive Missile and Cognatogen discoveries.
That does sound like a neat combo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses Dare
As someone who has gotten to play an Aegis [Trailblazer] || Soulknife [Psychic Armory] gestalt character I can say it is a lot of fun. You are not overly powerful, but you have an insane level of flexibility and can contribute to your party in and out of combat with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses Dare View Post
The rule about not hybrid classes not being able to multiclass with their parent classes was dropped some time ago. And it never applied to gestalt anyway.
The newer interpretation does lend itself to some interesting combos:

Quote:
Parent Classes: Each one of the following classes lists two classes that it draws upon to form the basis of its theme. While a character can multiclass with these parent classes, this usually results in redundant abilities. Such abilities donít stack unless specified.
I don't know how "optimized" this is, but I could easily see, say, an Alchemist/Psychic Detective Investigator, which would then give you both full alchemy and full psychic spells, along with Mutagen, Discoveries, Inspiration, and Investigator Talents.

Psychic Detective is probably my preferred Investigator anyway, and whilst some DMs may not be keen on frontloading characters by doubling up on the related classes*, Psychic Detective hardly has anything to do with Alchemist any more anyway - it's more a Psychic/Rogue combo.

*This kind of makes sense in some cases, but less in others - Gunslingers and Swashbucklers are pretty different, for example. Also there's a rule about grit and panache stacking which suggests a Gunslinger/Swashbuckler might actually work. A lot of the time the hybrid classes are only really thematically linked to their parents.