I want to make cameo appearances in other games. - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

I want to make cameo appearances in other games.

I want to make cameo appearances in other games.

I have several character concepts that I believe are too narrow for a long D&D 5E game.

Example 1: a ranger who scouts different areas ahead of player characters, and he can either sell them the information he gathered or lead them through a portion for fee.

Example 2: a travelling shopkeeper that finds a range of goods that shows up unexpectedly to sell his wares.

Example 3: a rogue that acts as a messenger for hire.

Like, that's all I want to do. How can I advertise myself for these cameo appearances?

Seems like an interesting idea, but finding a game to do that might turn out difficult. I'm guessing you will inevitably get the suggestion to run your own game to insert those npc's, but I'm assuming you would've done so if that were your thing.

I will say, the most likely where you will find a spot would be as a co-GM to a game and have to put a bit more work in than just playing one NPC. Or in a sort of mass game with lots of players in one big world, if there are games like that around here.

There are a few mass games that pop up, though they're more of a series of one-offs rather than one mega continuity.

It's definitely something that I, as a GM, do with characters I either didn't get to play or just want to use once or twice. But for a player I may not know to jump in and do it? You may be an NPC, but it's essentially being a temporary player. Perhaps if you volunteered to be a Co-GM, rather than a cameo, you'd get a taker or three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drome View Post
Seems like an interesting idea, but finding a game to do that might turn out difficult. I'm guessing you will inevitably get the suggestion to run your own game to insert those npc's, but I'm assuming you would've done so if that were your thing.

I will say, the most likely where you will find a spot would be as a co-GM to a game and have to put a bit more work in than just playing one NPC. Or in a sort of mass game with lots of players in one big world, if there are games like that around here.
Yeah... that was going to be me.

To Naniwa, I'm curious to hear more about why you only want to do one single thing with these three character concepts? I think that's going to be the biggest hurdle as even in a shorter game, characters generally have to face a variety of situations and tasks. I'm running three 5e games that I'm hoping only take about 9-12 months real time, advance a level or two, and then conclude it. Even then, I'd have a very hard time accepting a character that only does one single thing. I think a better understanding of your motivation, your thought process on this can help. In the meantime a couple ideas:

-Make a bard who tells long tales of other characters, and simply make a creative short story for these narrow concepts that the character can share.
-Join or help push for a game that has/allows for followers/minions/servants, and make those underlings the more specific ideas you have in mind.