Magic the Gathering RPG - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Magic the Gathering RPG

Magic the Gathering RPG

I'm curious if anyone's ever played a successful Magic The Gathering RPG? I did a search on the site and saw there has been a couple MTG games played using custom game systems, but as far as I can tell they were all abandoned (not sure of the reasons, lack of interest, unbalanced system, etc).

I think a MTG game could be a lot of fun, obviously the amount of lore and world building done for MTG is already vast, but I think the combat system could be pretty neat too. Based primarily on summoned creatures, with some support and direct damage spells mixed in, I could see it being a lot of moving parts to keep track of, but done right, it could be pretty cool.

I hear wankers of the coast are introducing a book about Ravnica, that is MtG for D&D 5ed

The Ravnica book is already out, as well as web supplements for playing in Innistrad and Zendikar. Playing D&D in a MTG setting could be very fun; they're obviously deep worlds with a lot going on in them. I don't think being a super-powerful Planeswalker would be well-supported by the system but I could easily see a group of PCs either working for a group in-universe (like the Guilds of Ravnica) or else you are the creatures summoned by a particular Planewalker and they send you to deal with a problem.

What You say is all Greek to me (or actually Chinese since I know some Greek)... but then again mtg is something totally foreign to me, I never had the budget to invest in ccg games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
I could easily see a group of PCs either working for a group in-universe (like the Guilds of Ravnica) or else you are the creatures summoned by a particular Planewalker and they send you to deal with a problem.
When I first started this thread, my initial thoughts were more towards a game system made specifically for Magic the Gathering, but you pose some interesting scenarios. Playing as summoned creatures would be neat, but the first thing that comes to my mind now is a Lord of the Pit (or other such creature) who has broken the bonds of the Planeswalker who summoned him, and now has taken over a city, summoning lesser demons of his own. Now a group of adventurers has been hired by a local guild to deal with the problem.

That sounds like good time to me

I'm already running one such game: the recently published Ravnica book is GREAT, and can be downloaded through official channels (even Steam IIRC) at a very reasonable price. I definitely recommend getting it.

What about any game systems specifically for mtg? I found a few home made versions online, but I'm curious if any of them are any good?

Given that MtG and DnD are both owned by WotC, the chances of a system to emulate MtG outside of DnD is going to be slim. Especially given WotC's nature to hold a lot of their stuff close to heart.

I'm not a fan of 5e, but I think Catherine is on the ball with the 5e supplement being the best route for now. Either that, or something more generic to emulate MtG (maybe GURPS?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazaki View Post
Given that MtG and DnD are both owned by WotC, the chances of a system to emulate MtG outside of DnD is going to be slim. Especially given WotC's nature to hold a lot of their stuff close to heart.
That makes sense. I wonder if any of the editions have ever had a class that somewhat resembles a planeswalker?

I was thinking, with the way combat is handled in mtg, with so much emphasis on summoning, if there was a particular system designed to handle that. Between combat I could see the game working much like D&D, but once in combat, a player would almost have to take control of a whole group of character's themselves to represent the summoned creatures. Due to all the logistics of that, I think the game would be better with a smaller number of players, 1 or 2 maybe, too many and I think it would just get bogged down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurtan View Post
I was thinking, with the way combat is handled in mtg, with so much emphasis on summoning, if there was a particular system designed to handle that.
I've heard of similar games being handled well with Pathfinder's Summoner class from the Advanced Player's Guide. This even went so far as parties made entirely of Summoner player characters.