Artificers in 5e/PF? - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Artificers in 5e/PF?

Spell Thematics, IIRC, made spells harder to identify since your spells were weird mutations of the standard ones. Yeah, it was still a very weak feat, we pretty much ignored it and just let people theme their spells if they wished, with no advantage or disadvantage for doing so. For that matter, if you really wanted a fiery version of Magic Missile, you could probably have talked any DM I've played with into it, of course, Force was better, but hey, if you want a theme that badly...

Ultimate Magic and The Gamemastery guide, some of the earliest PF core books, did talk about making your magic look like whatever you wanted without any mechanical advantages or disadvantages. So visually modifying spells is encouraged.

DSP Ultimate Psionics went a step further with allowing not only a lot of customization on how psionics look like even offered a variant for some GMs who believe Psionic doesn't fit their idea of medieval fantasy game by reskinning all powers and psionics abilities into rune magic.

5e planeshift meanwhile for the MTG various planes, has essentially done the same thing for a lot of mechanics...everything is reskinned without any major mechanical changes from magic items, abilities, monsters etc...Ignoring what a lot of people always try to do when converting MTG...creating too many new homebrews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
Spell Thematics, IIRC, made spells harder to identify since your spells were weird mutations of the standard ones. Yeah, it was still a very weak feat, we pretty much ignored it and just let people theme their spells if they wished, with no advantage or disadvantage for doing so. For that matter, if you really wanted a fiery version of Magic Missile, you could probably have talked any DM I've played with into it, of course, Force was better, but hey, if you want a theme that badly...
The revised version made it harder to identify with Spellcraft (+4 DC) making it harder to counter for all of your spells. On top of that 1 spell/spell level got a +1 caster level bonus, which was really the sweet spot of the feat . +1 CL to all of my Image/Shadow spells on a Shadowcraft Mage? Yes please! +1 CL for all my summon monster spells? Oh my golly!

Ah yeah, I forgot that revision. That's a lot closer to being worth it. But even with that, I'd probably have allowed thematic spells without the feat, just no other benefit either.

The artificer was a prominent class in the Eberron campaign setting back in 3.5 as well. It has been converted to PF rather nicely here: https://sites.google.com/site/eberro...sses/artificer