Worth it? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Worth it?

It depends.

Vtm 5th is decent and advances the story forward, with some mechanics forcing to deal with the beast constantly. If you don't want lore and mechanics changes, prefer to play Anne Rice Vampires, you are probably better off sticking to 20th anniversary edition. Both ways to play are valid...just depends, what kind of flavor you like.

As stated above:

The blood pool was replaced by a "Hunger Dice" system. Instead of spending blood points, you roll a 50% chance to add a hunger die to your pool. Then the hunger dice start to replace your regular dice, with certain effects at certain rolls. Everything is still d10s. It's just a little extra record keeping while rolling.

The lore has made some huge changes. There are promises of even more big changes to come.

The core rulebook is the only book out right now: It's back to the 7 original clans, Caitiff, and thin blooded vampires. The system for thin blooded vampires started to look like its own game at some point. Character creation even a regular vampire is similar but different.

The last question of if it's worth it is something we can't necessarily answer: Can you find a group and have fun with it?

The lore they're adding and tweaking looks incredibly interesting. It'd be something I myself would love to play, but it's a flavor thing. It may be worth a game just to try it out.

Thanks. I think I'll stay away from it for now. Masquerade and Masquerade 20th, requiem and Blood and Smoke have combined into an unhealthy mess inside my head. Adding another variety won't help.

A few questions (that I can sort if I put in the effort, but that require effort to sort
Are there soak rolls? How many maerits do I get? How do I calculate defense? Does a vampire's age influence her generation? Who are the Invictus? What disciplines do the Ventrue know? Is Toreador a clan or a bloodline? What a mess!

The few I can answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gris View Post
How many maerits do I get?
I believe you can still buy up to so many points of merits. I want to think the rules enforce taking at least one flaw.
Quote:
Does a vampire's age influence her generation?
No. You have to ask the Storyteller before chargen what generation your character will even be. No more buying up to a higher generation at the cost of 1 freebie point each.

Quote:
What disciplines do the Ventrue know?
I believe "the usuals." Dementate got folded back into Dominate, by the way.
Quote:
Is Toreador a clan or a bloodline?
A clan.

I am not sure what the thrust of your question is, Gris.

IMO, both Vamp Mascarade alRevised and V20, were more toward Vampires are Superheroes, and away from the original vision from the 90s, which was more Anne rice I think.

V5 tried to refocuse away from the metaplot, but still advances it, and back toward personal stories of horror. The metaplot in the 90s and 2000s had expanded and consumed everything untill every game was a save the world game.

This version, V5, uses for of the Requium rules like touchstones to bring the connections and loss of the characters' humanity to the fore.

Mechanically the major changes are to how blood, which makes it less certain, and now all disciplines have two or three powers per rank give you more variety for builds, they unified many of the previous Discipline versions.

Not sure what your talking about regardng Toreador.

Now all players start as the same generation, what ever you all decide on. But they also implemented blood potency rules from Requium, which allows you to grow in power even at a fixed generation.

It is a mix of oldWOD and nWOD.

Something that might factor into a decision as to whether or not it's worth it to invest in the current edition
Got me off the fence after dithering for months, anyway
*: they've announced the first sourcebook outside of the
V5 Core, Anarch & Camarilla clan/faction books.
core set. They're kickstarting a new version of Chicago by Night. Which . . . well, it's a pretty declarative statement of intent I think. CbN was one of the flagship modules of first and second edition V:tM and if they're aiming hard at that they definitely have a specific type of experience in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirlot View Post
V:tM and if they're aiming hard at that they definitely have a specific type of experience in mind.
not really, Chicago got a by night book in every iteration. Even 1st edition NWoD has a Chicago book, which it's worth pointing out, is much more substantial then all the other Chicago setting books as it also covered Werewolf and Mage of the city with an adventure to run for each at the end of the chapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Holy Wor View Post
not really, Chicago got a by night book in every iteration. Even 1st edition NWoD has a Chicago book, which it's worth pointing out, is much more substantial then all the other Chicago setting books as it also covered Werewolf and Mage of the city with an adventure to run for each at the end of the chapters.
Eh ~waffles hand~ in my head World of Darkness: Chicago is arguably distinct from Chicago By Night for the very reasons you cite, and what's more I think the title matters here? They're deliberately naming this after the 1E/2E books and not using the "WoD: Placename" format or invoking the more recent (and excellent) Damnation City. It's a choice which I think ties with the larger scale design decision to prune the gameline down to the old 1E/2E Anarch vs. Camarilla conflict rather than the sprawling jyhad between the Sabbat and Camarilla that defined Revised and V20.