General One-Roll Engine discussion - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

General One-Roll Engine discussion

General One-Roll Engine discussion

So yeah, I am a fan of the so called One-Roll Engine, O.R.E. for short, but I am still fairly new to it. So I was wondering if there is anyone on here with more experience, what are some things to avoid, what can and can not be done with it, how does balance work, what is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow, and all those things.

Also, how can we get more people interested in it. As it stands, in my opinion at least, it's a beautiful niche system that deserves more love. I am already very glad that we can play it efficiently with the Sort Function in the Dice String, already saves a ton of time and all, but there is always room towards the top. More concretely, how to engage new players, what do they seem to have issues with, how to make it enjoyable for them, how to explain it?

I've played and run most of the games associated with it, including a crapton of Monsters and Other Childish Things.

Quote:
Some things to avoid:
Depends on the system. Things off the top of my head include hard-dice-using attack powers and cheesy hyperskills in Wild Talents, and too much Tough or Splash (on PCs -or- NPC enemies) in Monsters and Other Childish Things.

Quote:
What can and can not be done with it:
That really depends on the system. Wild Talents is much better for street level supers than it is for whacky four-color stuff unless the GM keeps a firm grip on characters. MAOCT is great for pretty much anything in the "kid and pet" genre, from Pokemon to SMT: Persona, and as a bonus, can be used for kid/teen supers games that focus more on the "kid/teens" half, because Weird Kids from Bigger Bads are awesome. I've only a little bit of experience with Nemesis and A Dirty World, but they seemed to pull off their genres (horror and noir, respectively) very well in the two or three games I've played with them.

As a side note, using Wild Talents with the actual super powers stripped out makes for an interesting universal system. I've seen a Fallout game run with it, for example.

Quote:
How does balance work:
See above. As much as I love the ORE games, there are some glaring flaws baked into each system. Also, the way that the chance of basic success (2xAnything) balloons after 5d means that it's very hard to keep a low powered feel unless you really throttle experience/stat gains, even in the low-powered systems like MAOCT and A Dirty World.

As for getting people interested in it, I think it's more of a lack of exposure thing than anything else. Most new players I've introduced had some trouble getting used to the whole "wider is better here, but not there" differentiation, but picked it up relatively quickly.