Posting Rates in Play-by-Post - Page 5 - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Posting Rates in Play-by-Post

View Poll Results
What's your ideal posting rate?
I actually can't do play-by-post. Too slow. Live sessions, in person or online, only. 1 1.54%
Multiple, relevant posts a day. Blazing fast! 8 12.31%
One, relevant post a day. 26 40.00%
Every other day, slow but steady. 25 38.46%
A post every three (3) days. 16 24.62%
A post a week is enough for me. 8 12.31%
Not so concerned about posting rate. Slow or fast, I can keep up and enjoy it. 6 9.23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
The two (currently) fastest players are both on a different timezone from the GM.
Current speed: 13 IC posts in the last 24 hours.
Usually, when I hear stuff like this, I always wonder at the length, content, and who is actually posting. I've seen games suddenly reach 20+ IC posts a day...

And 18 of them are from a semi-private back-and-forth between a player and GM while the other two are a thumb-twiddling post from one guy and another guy trying to do something but being lost in the deluge. And it's a six player game.
Or, much more dreaded by me, multi-posting.

That, to me, is not the same as a truly active game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veradux View Post
Usually, when I hear stuff like this, I always wonder at the length, content, and who is actually posting. I've seen games suddenly reach 20+ IC posts a day...

And 18 of them are from a semi-private back-and-forth between a player and GM while the other two are a thumb-twiddling post from one guy and another guy trying to do something but being lost in the deluge. And it's a six player game.

...Well, I'm sorry that I can't really answer that. But I can't, because the game uses the private tag options extensively. So basically, even if I see a single sentence* in a post, I have no reason to assume there isn't more.
In fact, from my own posts, I know there's good odds that there is more than I can see.

Also, what do you mean "suddenly reaching 20+ IC posts a day"? That's actually a pretty average speed for this game.

*Also, part of the answer would have to be "I don't evaluate the quality of posts by length". I hate purple prose, and don't use a tape ruler.

Quote:
...maybe I'm not seeing this, or not getting your point. But how is that different from enforcing posting rates?
Art, not science. Maybe instead of saying "post 2-3x a week" it's just a conversation. Let the players set the pace and stragglers can be addressed if they become a problem. I've seen some cases where a slow poster makes up for it with quality. In other cases, it can hurt the group to have a key player fall off.

DM prerogative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2145 View Post
Art, not science. Maybe instead of saying "post 2-3x a week" it's just a conversation. Let the players set the pace and stragglers can be addressed if they become a problem. I've seen some cases where a slow poster makes up for it with quality. In other cases, it can hurt the group to have a key player fall off.

DM prerogative.
Well, I can certainly understand a preference for art. But isn't it a GM's prerogative to puck science, instead?

Quote:
Well, I can certainly understand a preference for art. But isn't it a GM's prerogative to puck science, instead?
Of course. DM's can do what they want, and many will find success with posting requirements. Just stating my preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veradux View Post

Nail on the head. I count IC posts and true OOC posts (clarification, typical table talk) as active. Not gibberish, meme posts, or friendly banter in the OOC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil_Bottletop
Nail on the head. I count IC posts and true OOC posts (clarification, typical table talk) as active. Not gibberish, meme posts, or friendly banter in the OOC.
While I agree with this, I also tend to find that OOCs which are active with friendly banter, etc, tend to be more active and healthy games. Though the causality probably goes the other way-- Active/healthy game --> more OOC chats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil_Bottletop View Post
So I could include some OOC posts as well?