Broken Chains: After The Fall - Myth-Weavers

Notices


Broken Chains: After The Fall

 
  #1  
Old May 19 '19, 2:01am
Light of Liberty Light of Liberty is offline
Torches Held High
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Broken Chains: After The Fall

After the Fall - Forum
Pathfinder - Golarion

After The Fall is a fairly high-difficulty re-write of the adventure "Broken Chains", which takes the players to the ancient deserts of Katapesh and their horrid flesh markets, where slaves are openly traded and brutally oppressed. The PCs must recover a missing field agent and finish her campaign against one of these slaving organizations, uncovering a terrible dark plot in the process. A very wide range of classes available, accepting six players at 4th level to tackle what is a traditionally 6th level adventure for four players.

Because the party is larger than normal but well below the intended level, players will need to work together in order to even survive, much less succeed at their given task! There's also very limited access to healing and buffing classes, make sure you carefully read the rules!


----------------

The Twilight Talons, a covert branch of Andoran's noble Eagle Knights, use undercover agents to root out and bring down evil organizations from within. One of their longest-running operations is an aggressive campaign against slave rings throughout the Inner Sea region.

Veteran Field Agent Othine Dalanse rose to prominence in the campaign by infiltrating slave rings, unraveling their command structures and resource chains and successfully dismantling them with minimal casualties.

A year ago, in the city of Katapesh, Othine infiltrated the most extensive and insidious slave ring of her career. Several months of investigation revealed that the slavers were circumventing tariffs by storing their stock in abandoned qanat tunnels beneath the city's Twilight Gate quarter. Disguised as a vagrant, Othine entered these tunnels and was soon captured.

Overpowered and thrown in chains-all part of her plan to infiltrate the gang - Othine was destined for the auction block, until she caught the eye of the slavers' leaders.

It was then that she discovered they were a wicked cult of Lamashtans that secretly manipulated slave operations for a far darker purpose. Now, the mission has become a race against time!

At the behest of a Twilight Talon commander named Whispershade, the PCs undertake the search for the missing field agent who disappeared while trying to break up a powerful slave ring. The PCs' investigation of a small slave market has already uncovered a secret passage to a series of abandoned qanat tunnels that run beneath Katapesh's Twilight Gate district. The PCs must slog through the tunnels to find the slavers' subterranean compound and hopefully, to avoid being discovered by the authorities of the City.

Once they've located the slavers' base, the PCs must infiltrate the compound using either stealth or brawn. During the PCs' expedition, freed slaves describe some of their fellow captives mad ramblings about strange procedures conducted on them. Deep in the slavers' base, the PCs must find the missing Twilight Talon Othine and recover her intelligence before some truly profane evil is unleash upon Golarion!

Game Description:

After The Fall

__________________
I cannot describe with mere articulation how much I loathe the concept of "Tristalt". Don't @ me.

Last edited by Light of Liberty; May 19 '19 at 3:35am..
@Light of Liberty

So, I love that you're allowing Spheres, it's the primary reason I'm interested, but if you are looking at a low-healing game you are going to need to keep a close eye on Life Sphere specialists, as well as a handful of other talents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGSE View Post
@Light of Liberty

So, I love that you're allowing Spheres, it's the primary reason I'm interested, but if you are looking at a low-healing game you are going to need to keep a close eye on Life Sphere specialists, as well as a handful of other talents.
Thanks for the heads up. Since I want to explore these and see them in action I may allow that as the one real option FOR PC healing. Everything else will be secondary healing sources, items, potions.

But yeah, thanks!

If you are going for low healing you may also want to ban the Spheres of Power class Soul Weaver, as they also get channel energy, much like clerics.

Also as a note, in Spheres of Power the Life sphere is the most obvious way to heal, there are also alternate ways to heal in that system, including

Vitality from the Alteration sphere
Healing Aegis in the Protection sphere
Feed on Darkness in the Dark sphere
Bears Love Honey from the Bear sphere

Note that the Bear sphere was released as an April 1st thing, but is an actual sphere. They do say you should not play with it in a serious game. It is full of puns.

Also the Life sphere has a talent that can bring people back from the dead if they heal them fast enough.

Resuscitate from the Life sphere

Spheres of Might has

Salve from Alchemy sphere

Champions of the Spheres is a combination of Spheres of Power and Spheres of Might.
It has the Sage class, which has the following feature

Chi Gong (Su)

If I am reading that right, they can use Chi Gong as much as they like to heal people 1d6 each time, but only to a maximum of half the creature's maximum hit points.

It is up to you whether you want to allow or ban any or all of these.

Further heads up: Medic from PoW is a healing class that can do fairly well. Also, the Radiant Dawn and Silver Crane disciplines offer various direct ways to heal.

Before I begin, I want to say I support your game. I'm not trying to throw shade on your ideas, I'm just thinking out loud.

Generally speaking, an anti-player-healing game sounds really interesting... but the degree of availability should be decided asap. Depending on how restrictive it is, and given the increased difficulty of monsters in gestalt, you might not find as much diversity in builds as you like.

Item-based healing: This encourages players to find ways to reduce the time needed to retrieve and drink potions.

Tank: Encouraged to focus on damage mitigation (PoW counters, Guardian sphere) and perhaps combat maneuvers (disarm, trip, dirty trick, intimidation). Why heal when you can prevent damage from ever happening in the first place?

DPS: Lack of self-healing doesn't encourage DPS to get into melee... so I forsee a lot of ranged, and/or stealthy damage dealers. Stealth = less opportunity to get hurt. But if that's the case, this could just put more stress on the tank.

Other: Lack of healing encourages battlefield control and debuffs. Summoners and illusionists can fabricate more bodies, and less ways for PCs to get hurt. Anything that can inflict attack and damage penalties would be in higher demand, or other debilitating effects (nauseated, etc).

So far as I can see, the rules don't actually limit healing that much. You can't play a Cleric, Druid or Oracle, but it's not like anyone was going to have access to Heal at this level anyway - we're talking CLW, which Bards do get. Also, Wands of CLW still exist (and UMD). It's not like those divine casters were actually going to be casting healing spells if they could help it anyway.

Also, is it a mistake, or is the Shaman allowed? The rules say none of the divine full-casters, but Shaman is not a Core class.

There are also other ways to heal. Bards I've mentioned, and Spheres of course. But the Rajah and Radiant Dawn are also allowed, which provide several healing options (and several more "buff with temp hp" options). Occult probably has some healing options, and Psionics does too (the Vitalist, and Natural Healing, etc). Viziers get free charges on magic items, so could use a Wand of CLW or CMW a time or two per day for no gp cost (if you're not willing to spend any). There are probably some archetypes which get Channel Energy or whatever too. Hell, even Paladins can heal a bit.

So, all in all, I don't think this will make a huge difference to the game, it might just mean that on average fewer people have access to a CLW or can use a wand without a UMD check.

Anyway. Question for the DM - you say you want characters who stick strongly to a role or theme, which I guess makes a certain sense given gestalt and the larger party size. However, at the risk of being contrary, does being the "jack of all trades" count as a theme if that's specifically your shtick? In fact, the "spellsword"/gish type character is kind of an archetype in and of itself. Are such characters totally out, or is it more just people trying to do everything at the expense of focus that you're against? (As in, if a character doubles down on being a gish - and still has gaps and weaknesses and so on - is that enough, or would you just rather not even that?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
So far as I can see, the rules don't actually limit healing that much. You can't play a Cleric, Druid or Oracle, but it's not like anyone was going to have access to Heal at this level anyway - we're talking CLW, which Bards do get.
Bards are part of the Core Classes and are therefore unavailable for this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
Also, Wands of CLW still exist (and UMD).

Also, is it a mistake, or is the Shaman allowed? The rules say none of the divine full-casters, but Shaman is not a Core class.

There are also other ways to heal. But the Rajah and Radiant Dawn are also allowed, which provide several healing options (and several more "buff with temp hp" options). Occult probably has some healing options, and Psionics does too (the Vitalist, and Natural Healing, etc). Viziers get free charges on magic items, so could use a Wand of CLW or CMW a time or two per day for no gp cost (if you're not willing to spend any). There are probably some archetypes which get Channel Energy or whatever too. Hell, even Paladins can heal a bit.
There are indeed other options, some of which is entirely intentional. Some of the Spheres stuff may end up on the ban table, I will have decided that by the end of today. CLW wands are allowed, they take an action to use, they can be stolen/broken, charges get spent. I am fine with this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
Anyway. Question for the DM - you say you want characters who stick strongly to a role or theme, which I guess makes a certain sense given gestalt and the larger party size. However, at the risk of being contrary, does being the "jack of all trades" count as a theme if that's specifically your shtick? In fact, the "spellsword"/gish type character is kind of an archetype in and of itself. Are such characters totally out, or is it more just people trying to do everything at the expense of focus that you're against? (As in, if a character doubles down on being a gish - and still has gaps and weaknesses and so on - is that enough, or would you just rather not even that?)
I would need to see the build and the writing a bit to really understand what you mean, but I certainly would have no problems with a Magus/Whatever Spellsword character who knows magic and can fight in melee combat. And having ONE PC like that on the team can certainly be helpful.

But, no, in general creating this character is likely to rank you lower on my optimal choice list. I'd prefer the character still "lean" in one direction or another; a Magus/Rogue would be a lot less interesting to me because it's trying to be everything and ends up being nothing, in my mind. This is just personal preference more than anything related strictly to design.

There's also a lot of flexibility available for everyone depending on your ability to throw together a nice application and to write something vaguely compelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light of Liberty View Post
Bards are part of the Core Classes and are therefore unavailable for this game.
Oh... yeah.

But other classes do get those spells too. There's an archetype for Mesmerists, for example, which lets them cast from the Druid and Ranger spell lists. Do Skalds get CLW? Really, my point was just that a lot of options still exist for healing and whilst the most "traditional" few don't, really, it's unlikely to make a major difference (what Cleric wants to cast a CLW if they can avoid it anyway? ). At any rate, I don't think it's enough reason to make prospective players overly concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
Oh... yeah.

But other classes do get those spells too. There's an archetype for Mesmerists, for example, which lets them cast from the Druid and Ranger spell lists. Do Skalds get CLW? Really, my point was just that a lot of options still exist for healing and whilst the most "traditional" few don't, really, it's unlikely to make a major difference (what Cleric wants to cast a CLW if they can avoid it anyway? ). At any rate, I don't think it's enough reason to make prospective players overly concerned.
My intention isn't merely to limit healing, but to limit the TRADITIONAL methods of healing. Part of this is because I personally want to see some of the non-standard material in action, so I am trying to gently shove players in that direction. It's also partly thematic, since Katapesh is meant to feel a bit foreign and unfamiliar I figured I would eliminate some of our familiarity too. I almost banned the Base Classes too!








Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Last Database Backup 2019-06-24 09:00:08am local time
Myth-Weavers Status