Rise of Skywalker - Page 4 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Rise of Skywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
I was a member of the Fan Force. I quit in 2005 when "fans" were making death threats against Lucas and Ahmed Best over Jar Jar. Last night I got accused of being a N**i because I like Star Wars villains. After a couple hours of that, I deactivated my 11 year old Twitter account because I don't want to wait until one of them doxes or SWATs me.

So obviously I won't be watching it anywhere near a theater nor anywhere where fans gather.
That's nuts, sorry to hear you experienced that. O_o

Quote:
I think that might have more to do with timing (Carrie Fisher passing) and Harrison Ford wanting out of the franchise than anything a director or writer did.
I still firmly believe if Disney threw enough money and a couple Indiana Jones films at Ford he'd have stuck around as at least a cameo in a couple more movies. Too late for that now.

I can't blame the fans. Sure, there's a reactionary toxic minority, but in all, I think the fans disappointment is entirely justified.
Star Wars was mis-handled, badly, by The Mouse.
You'd probably be very safe from nerd-ragers or Fandom Menace (a term I'm not happy with) going to the theaters: I expect they'll be nearly empty after the first weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneDesperado View Post
I still firmly believe if Disney threw enough money and a couple Indiana Jones films at Ford he'd have stuck around as at least a cameo in a couple more movies. Too late for that now.
I'm okay with him bowing out. If he doesn't want to be there, then there's no point in him pretending he's enjoying the experience. No matter what he did, people would somehow find fault with it so he probably made the right choice. Also, he's 76. Being on a set most of a day for weeks or months is probably not high on things Ford finds enjoyable.

Quote:
I'm okay with him bowing out. If he doesn't want to be there, then there's no point in him pretending he's enjoying the experience. No matter what he did, people would somehow find fault with it so he probably made the right choice. Also, he's 76. Being on a set most of a day for weeks or months is probably not high on things Ford finds enjoyable.
Well my example was also several years back, when VII was still in production, and as I said limited to a cameo. Clearly not on set the entire filming. Movie stars are kinda notorious for for crying about hating something but change their tune when another 0 finds it's way to the end of a paycheck.

As my Shadows of the Empire point a couple posts ago. Ford didnt even need to be there given Han was frozen at the time. There would have been ways around it.

It's all moot though now.

Fandom Menace

I find that hilarious and no doubt there is an element that fits the description perfectly.

First off, Krimson, so sorry to hear you got harassed like that. Stuff like that is sadly not unique to the Star Wars fandom, but people need to lay off. I only recently learned about the Phantom Menace death-threats, and those are obviously appalling.

Anyway, I was talking with a couple of my co-workers yesterday about the trailer and the new movies. They both enjoyed TLJ, whereas I did not. One of them pointed out how Empire was widely panned when it was in theatres. I looked some of that up and found it interesting. Complaints ranged from people being upset how the tone was different compared to the first movie, some said it was boring, a lot of people hated Yoda (called him a dumb Muppet), and many were angered by the romance angles (especially the Luke/Leia shippers). I saw one quote from a reviewer who said that there was no character development and the plot went nowhere. Very interesting to read all that now knowing that Empire is considered by most to be the best of the original trilogy (and possibly the best out of every Star Wars film so far).

During that discussion, I pointed out how I hated the Resistance bombers that "dropped" bombs in space and that it broke my suspension of disbelief. My colleague said that AT-AT were equally nonsensical. I disagree on that point, but I did think about stuff from Empire that's kind of out there. Luke falling to the bottom of Cloud City and surviving probably ranks up there, or how a Tauntaun froze before Han did (assuming Tauntauns are native to Hoth, anyway). One of the old reviews said that cutting open the beast's belly to put Luke in was stupid. And I suppose that Han, Leia, and everyone else on the Falcon never really accomplished much over the course of the film. And last time I watched it I did feel that it moved too slow in some parts.

We have the benefit of hindsight with Empire and seeing the whole arc of the original trilogy. And I do think it's worth considering some of those old critiques, now that I know about them. That all said... I still don't personally feel TLJ was a great movie in its own right, even if I try to judge it on its own merits. I think there were some good ideas in there and some interesting angles, but I think they were either executed poorly or were simply abandoned. I felt like it was "subverting expectations" for the sake of doing so, only to wind up in the same place anyway.

I've got three paragraphs already so I won't launch into any specific issues right now (I'm sure they've all been done to death, anyway). Point is, I'm not convinced that Disney knows what it's doing with Star Wars, and I'm not convinced that the new movie will resolve the story in a satisfying way for me.

But if you liked TLJ and are excited for the next one, that's great! I'm not going to get angry at people who liked it. That would be stupid.

Aside from what I said before, I really enjoyed the teaser trailer. I liked The Last Jedi and I'd be slightly embarassed to say how many times I watched the scene with Rey, Kylo, and Snoke. I enjoyed the Expanded Universe but I also enjoy the sequels. There's room in my head for more than one set of canon, and I'm one of the people who was a bit annoyed by new canon negating the Mandalorian origins in the Republic Commando novels by Karen Traviss. I mean for a while, I could speak Mando'ade. But... at the same time, I don't mind the high tech Metropolitan Mandalorians with their fancy antiquated low tech Spartan style armor that can still block lightsabers.

I like that they turned canon on it's head, and went in a new direction. I can understand especially since the EU became so bloated and in some cases contradictory, and I still haven't forgiven the creator of Drizzt for dropping a moon on Chewbacca. For the most part, I consider current non moon crushed Chewbacca to be a good thing. He's the only non Force user who got a good shot on Kylo, and that says a lot.

Mostly, I think the new trilogy is fun. Sure it's dark, but it has always been dark. Blurring the lines between light and dark and even questioning the entire concept isn't completely surprising. Remember, Luke Skywalker force choked a Gamorrean guard Vader style while dressed in black robes. Also, Lando looks really happy that after half a century, he finally got his ship back.

Stuffing Luke into the TaunTaun made perfect sense from a pure survival stand point--it was a way to conserve body heat while Han put up the tent. It's on the list of things to do (using a horse or cow instead of a TaunTaun, naturally).
That the tent would be enough for them to survive the cold... that seems a little dubious unless there was some sort of heater in that kit--maybe some shake&break chemical thermal packs?

There's some good EU, and a lot of Bad eu. Anyone can pick & choose what they like and don't like.
When I run StarWars using the WEG d6 rules, I have my own set of what I use. Since those rules didn't get a prequel expansion (aside from Fan translations of the WotC books), I use the universe I built back in college, that was pre most EU (there were the Marvel comics), even pre-Special Edition. So things worked differently.

I think where Star Wars is now is pretty sad. The best bit of StarWars since RotJ was the Rebels cartoon, and that was ended far too quickly (which I suppose is better than dragging it out beyond its welcome). Sadly, the replacement cartoon did not (in my arrogant opinion) live up to the predecessors.

If we are lucky, someone with an actual vision will take over and try to fix damage rather then do further damage in the name of $. The odds of that are about as astronomical as getting a good official Star Trek again. (all praise to fanfilms like Continues!)