Notre Dame is Burning - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Notre Dame is Burning

Yes, this is where the buttresses are at risk of doing the opposite of their job and bringing down the structure by pushing the walls inward.

On the same day Notre Dame burns and we learn that CoH has had a private server running on original source code for six years.

Today sucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoot View Post
Certainly, any time an 800 year old building is destroyed it is a sad day. Glad to hear so far no one has been hurt.(Correct me if that's incorrect info)
It was correct at the time. It is unfortunately not now.
Only seams to be one Major Injury however.

"Firefighter ‘seriously injured’ battling Notre Dame blaze"

No real information on the nature of the injury.
Only that the firefighter was taken to a local hospital and is in the I.C.U.

They will rebuild. Personally feel that the original iconic design should be restored. Not too keen on a redesign, I think that would disconnect with the history of Paris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombo View Post
They will rebuild. Personally feel that the original iconic design should be restored. Not too keen on a redesign, I think that would disconnect with the history of Paris.
Agreed. There is I think something in the human mental state that would benefit from making the rebuild objective "As close as humanly possible to the original thing, down too the smallest detail." over anything else. To say nothing of the historical and cultural significance that one risks loosing if it's done any other way in a case like this.

@Vox Clamantis CoH?

Hello from France. I don't live in Paris but both my wife and I work in domains related to culture and patrimony. We spent last evening until midnight following the events in shock. Since the topic seems to rise some interest despite the distance... I figured some could be interested by a little more details.

- The wood-timber frame was the starting point of the fire and, for all we know, is utterly destroyed. The "Forest", as it was nicknamed, was 110 m long, 10 m high, 13 to 40 m large depending of the place, and most of it was still made from the same beams of oak that were placed here when the cathedral was built in the 12th century (with some additions from the 19th century). It was not a place opened to tourists to visit, because it was fragile and risky... as yesterday's event proved, sadly... but it was one of the oldest frames built that way still in existence, so... high historical significance and all that. You can find some pics of what it looked like here. Whatever wood hasn't burned is now gorged with water, which is adding weight on the fragilized structure underneath.

- The spire, the second most recognizable feature of the building's silhouette after its front towers, burnt and felt, as everyone probably already knows. It was actually not medieval at all but designed by 19th century big-time renovator Viollet-le-Duc. He left detailed plans, there's no question that it will be rebuilt, but it will be a replica, of course. Also, there's no way that it didn't make some serious damage under itself when it fell through the transept.

- Two thirds of the brass-covered rooftop have been ravaged. Part of the vaulted ceiling crashed down, meaning the stabilty of the remaining structure calls for an examination.

- The fire reached the North tower during the night but was succesfully fighted there; the towers, belfries and bells are preserved, thanks to the courage of the firemen who actually got inside the burning tower to put an end to the threat.

- Most of the holy relics and most movable artworks have been exfiltrated with great efficiency by the firefighters. Sixteen monumental brass statues, of 250 kg each, had actually been removed from the roof for restauration a few days prior the fire. However, three relics —a piece of the crown of thorns and two relics of St Denis and Ste Geneviève (the city patron's saints)— were placed in the spire that burnt and fell, the reliquary itself melted down. A dozen monumental paintings from the 17th century, known as the "Mays", couldn't be moved and their state is currently unknown.

- Another big uncertainty for now is the state of the stain glass-windows. Most of them were from the 19th century, but everone's thinking primarily about the three large "rose windows" from the Middle Ages. Fortunately it seems those ones were preserved, but there's a risk that the high heat of the blaze affected the lead that keep the glass parts together, so they will probably be disassembled for a time to be examined. No news for sure from the others for now. The modern (20th century) glass-windows that were at the highest places are most probably completely destroyed.

- The 18th-to-19th century large organ, one of the largest of the city and of course of high symbolic significance, seems to have been preserved, at least from the fire. Now there's the question of the potential water damage caused by the firefighting...

- One fireman and two policemen suffered minor injury. No human loss or even major injury, fortunately.

I suppose that is a important note.
I grew up half in the USA and half in France myself.
Not In Paris mind you. I grew up in Saint-Lô
But I remember visiting Notre-Dame de Paris a good many times. And my family isn't even Catholic, where actually Jewish.

I don't think I can really explain to people how important Notre Dame is to Paris.
I keep trying to think of a example from another city and I really can't do it.
The golden gate bridge and big Ben might come close.

Some people seam to think that the Eiffel Tower is comparable. But it's really not.
The statue of liberty is most likely the closest thing I can think of that might come close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etrigan View Post
You can find some pics of what it looked like here.
Good information all around in your post, thanks for that, but especially for this link to the framing. Those are amazingly well-cut and shaped timbers considering they're from the 12th century. My home was built here in the US in the 1940s and some of the framing doesn't look that nice. Incredible craftsmanship and an incredibly tragic loss.

@Etrigan - Amazingly informative post. I was looking through those pictures of the forest and it is just tragic to think all that joinery is destroyed. It will be very interesting to see the state of the paintings and the other works of art you mentioned.
@CaptainsEyePatch It is difficult to think of a proper analogue. The Statue of Liberty certainly has the symbolic value, but not the history. Notre Dame was a cultural centerpiece in one of the most visited and popular cities in the world.

I think Edinburgh Castle would be a good analogue, since it is the heart of the city and of immense historic and cultural significance in Scotland. But Edinburgh isn't nearly as popular as Paris so it wouldn't have nearly the worldwide impact.

@Sephirothsword117, City of Heroes, an early 00s MMORPG. It was revealed yesterday that when the game was shut down six years ago, one of the developers leaked the full source code and account database to one of the players. There has been a secret, exclusive private server with full functionality running for around six years. During that time the operator and various others have engaged in a campaign of misdirection and suppression on reddit and elsewhere to keep the private server secret. Any discussions of private servers were automatically deleted from the CoH reddit, and the moderators of various forums were managing discussions to keep the facts obscured.

I didn't mean to hijack the discussion about Notre Dame, but my previous comment required explanation.