The State of Comics... - Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

The State of Comics...

The State of Comics...

I like comics, though I admit most of my experience has been Marvel and I started collecting later in life. I'm not sure exactly what I'm seeing but more and more it feels like politics/agendas are supplanting the drive to tell a good story (in general - not every title is affected, surely). I'm curious what titles ya'll enjoy and why, and maybe what you look for in a good comic.

For my part: I started a few years ago with ANAD Avengers, Miles' Spider-Man, and Jane Foster/Thor because those were sort of newer around that time. I've mostly enjoyed them and now sub to Champions, Avengers, Thor, and Spider-Man. I liked the artwork, especially in Thor, and I like good stories and didn't have much experience with the comic medium. A good story, for me, means consistency, rising tension, clear boundaries, well-deserved pay-offs, and characters that have more than one dimension. I don't mind light-heartedness or the occasional tropey reversal but in general there needs to be in-universe consistency and reasoning for actions taking place. Some recent sleuthing has confirmed some suspicions about the industry that has me concerned about the future of Marvel titles at least, and perhaps the wider scope of comicdom, so I'm wondering what else is out there.

Be forewarned, this is tracing a very fine wire of getting closed because of the absolute disaster that discussions regarding politics have had on this site. And while yes, politics has been getting in the way of good stories in comics lately, that's not to say all comics have been soured.

Personally, I love to reread Punisher MAX. Namely, more than half of the run is by Garth Ennis, who isn't a fan of the fantastical abilities of some super heroes. It's relatively self-contained, with no other heroes appearing save Nick Fury (if you can define him as such), and most of his villains are just really tough and hard to put down enemies. Brings a nice level of realism.

Another great read, of which the name of it I'm forgetting (I know, bad call), but it's one of the Batman spinoffs where Joker regains his sanity and seeks to bring legal retribution against Batman for vigilantism and callous disregard for life when it comes to chasing Joker. It's a surprisingly good read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Be forewarned, this is tracing a very fine wire of getting closed because of the absolute disaster that discussions regarding politics have had on this site. And while yes, politics has been getting in the way of good stories in comics lately, that's not to say all comics have been soured.
Yeah, I think it's all pretty subjective and I was genuinely curious what other folks read regardless of if it's something "I might approve of" or whatever... but point taken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Another great read, of which the name of it I'm forgetting (I know, bad call), but it's one of the Batman spinoffs where Joker regains his sanity and seeks to bring legal retribution against Batman for vigilantism and callous disregard for life when it comes to chasing Joker. It's a surprisingly good read.
I forget the name too but I watched a review of it on YT (ComicsExplained channel is usually pretty good - Rob is great) and it was interesting. I think it's important to do those sorts of arcs every now and then to remind folks to stay grounded or whatever. Nothing bothers me like collateral damage going unaddressed (sure Superman is punching a villain, but he's punching him through three apartment buildings so... *shrug*).

Unless you’re one of the people for whom the physical comic is important (in which case, fair enough), Marvel Unlimited and DC Universe are both excellent value for money and will allow you to try out a range of superhero comics* from the past, some of which will definitely satisfy your criteria.

If you’re prepared to wait six months (Marvel) or a year (DC) you can also keep up with new Marvel and DC comics this way - it’s what I do. If you want one ongoing-title recommendation: Immortal Hulk.

*Some other genres, too, but obviously, if you want other genres, you wouldn’t want to start with Marvel and DC.

EDIT: Without commenting on it specifically, though, political comment has pretty much always been there in superhero comics. It’s not new. But you may find older comics more appealing here, because the specific politics of the moment were different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voord 99 View Post
Unless you’re one of the people for whom the physical comic is important (in which case, fair enough), Marvel Unlimited and DC Universe are both excellent value for money and will allow you to try out a range of superhero comics* from the past, some of which will definitely satisfy your criteria.
Ah, that's right, I'd forgotten about that. A past GM was thoroughly enjoying reading older Marvel comics that way (he had a free temp subscription or something). It does add up and while I like to think these comics will get handed down to my kiddos, it's getting less and less cost effective in the price-to-story ratio, lol

Let's keep this thread on topic, please.
We all have personal opinions, however, we can also express those opinions without blistering invictives against persons who cannot defend themselves and their artistic views.

The questions asked so we can keep on topic:
What do you enjoy to read and why?
What do you look for in a comic book?

These are great questions that, again, can be answered without insults tossed about.

Thank you, and good day.
Amy

Now, that being said....

I am not entirely certain, but I love Babs. I LOVE Batgirl, the original! There was something fun to most of her portrayal, a joy of life, an innocence, a belief of doing what was right because it was right!

That being said, I also enjoyed the newer Teen Titans.

Some of that Teenage Joy, without years and years of teenaged superhero angst piled on.

However, I have been away from comic books for years now - busy, spending my money on other things, etc.
I do occasionally go back and read what I have, I admit.

And lastly, SAILOR MOON! Manga, not a US Comic book. But I just LOVE Sailor Moon!
Yes, there are dark points in the plot, there are hurdles to overcome, but mostly, there is joyful hope. I love hope and uplifting things in my old age. And this is one of them.

I LOVE IT!

Another, of the Manga is Kia Asamiya's Silent Mobius. It came in two spurts. Not as gritty and dark as others, but it is definitely more adult than young woman compared to Sailor Moon. It's a finding yourself, loosing everything, then finding yourself again series of hope and redemption and good over evil set in a sci-fi future Tokyo with magic.

Each lead in the series has their own struggles, their own doubts, their own abilities that make them unique and help make the unit stronger.

Ah, I've heard lovely things about all those, @Amy, so maybe I'll swap out for some of them! Apologies for the tardiness - I was on vacation for a couple weeks, lol.

Vacation is a good thing! Don't apologize for that!

So I up and ditched all my titles. I simply wasn't interested in any of them anymore, so why bother? My local shop had me reading through some possibilities and I sort of read through the entire 25-issue Darth Vader series from a little while back and thought it was alright. Still looking though - any suggestions appreciated, and/or thoughts on what makes a good title for you!