Blood of the Covenant: A Witching Tale

Old Oct 19 '18, 4:19am
Ubermensch

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Blood of the Covenant: A Witching Tale

Blood of the Covenant: A Witching Tale - Forum
Miscellaneous

Greetings Human!

If you're reading this you're probably interested as many folks are in playing a witcher, in The Witcher Pen and Paper roleplaying game.

Well I have good news. Three of you lucky applicants will be selected to play in this dark, rich, and in my opinion exhilarating world. The only thing between you and this lofty position is crafting an interesting story, one that is both current, relevant, and politically juicy would be preferred.

If you're into this game for a hack and slash monster hunt, I've got some bad news for you, I'm not trying to emulate the feel of the video game. As with most media, and readers, few are as capable at making you feel as the written forms of it. So, I will be heavily basing our interactions off the books.

There will be plenty of "down" time. And by that I mean, time where you're not hunting a monster. Of course, life in the world of The Witcher, wouldn't allow for you to actually do anything boring, and Chaos is hunting you, personally, with a vendetta.

I plan on engaging in the tropes set in the books, that is to say, you may beg and gnash your teeth for the security of a tavern, but you'll never be able to finish your drink before something happens that pulls you out of being idle.

There are no moral lessons to teach from this game, and if you're expecting to be heroic, expect to be disappointed, this world doesn't need a hero it needs a professional. Everyone, wants a piece of the Witchers, and to pull them from their vaunted neutrality.

I intend on running this as a limited grouping game. You may be actors working in the same country, but it is unlikely you will work together, for indeed it is your political opinions that will make you a legend. And in the course of these pursuits, you will find yourself at odds with the world, and possibly those you called friend.

What I need, is a positive thinker. You needn't be a happy person, but someone who can weather defeat without being destroyed by it. Someone who can fail forward. And still be a team player, without a team supporting them is what is needed.

Fear not though, you're playing something considered by most a dangerous remorseless psychopath, and violence is an effective solution to most things. So is magic! And there is one rule that governs both. "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb." Prepare yourself Griffon, you are about to make history.

Game Description:

"An age of men is upon us, heralded by the black sun rising in the south, setting itself upon the north. Unrest, malcontent, depravity and desolation, chaos rampant, an age of distrust. An era where the women weep and the babes are thrown to the wolves. For ending is the age of the elders, the dawn of mankind comes. Heralded by war, plague, and deprivation. For now is the season of the witch, the age of fire, and oppression." - "The Archgriffon Spoke" - Galileo of Cintra

What a wretched thing you are, Witcher's ilk, mutant, abomination, feared and hated by most living beings. A desperate and necessary evil, and the one check against chaos running riot. Your life began humbly, turned violently, and forged one of the greatest warriors to have ever lived. Your life is to waste, for you are loved by none, not even your peers, and held with distrust and disdain by the reputation your kind has deservedly earned through the centuries.

But, you were not always a disgusting mutant. Once, before the innocence was so cruelly stripped from you, before your mutations inured you to such human weaknesses as emotions, you were a child. Molded into a living weapon by the most rigorous and brutal training available. Stripped from the life you once knew, and cast into the mold of greatness, will you break the mold? Or will the mold break you?

With one week remaining in your training, before the trial of the grasses, the training has come full bore. Any holds that may once have been given are removed. Even the most gentle of your elders, Jerome, has become ruthless and hard. Taking no complaint as he pushes you to limits you had not previously known. But these limits, once broken, have become new plateaus of power.

A busy week has been planned, with it now being necessary to perform a ritual to cleanse the places of power, the elders becoming reserved and cryptic, tensions have run high. Jaskier is still missing, and the creatures of Chaos have been disturbed in the region. A comet hangs in the sky, blood red and pulsing angrily, a herald to death and war. The air in Kaer Y Seren has become oppressive, and bandits have made forays into the valley seeking easy gains.

But most importantly, winter has come. Traveling from the Castle, while normally heavily restricted, has become forbidden due to the disappearance of Jaskier. And the days stretch on long with little in the manner of entertainment or diversion to set the mind at ease as the temperatures fall.

The Witcher Leofric passing, and induction of the Sole Surviving bear into the ranks of the Gryphon's has brought to mind the question of why. With the loss of the school of the bear and neither Mira nor her Surprise Father having details, an unsettling fear has settled upon the brow of Caiphus, head of the order. Whatever had destroyed the bear, was merely a shallow sea away from the valley.

I really love the Andrzej Sapkowski books but have never played the games. Will this be based more on the (political, oppressive, and beautifully described) setting of the books, or of the games (do they differ?).

I'd potentially be interested in making a grim, heavy-drinking witcher interested in abstruse philosophy and a debater, but not the 'fun over drinks' style debate but more the 'enemies for life' style debates. Careens from one disaster to the next. A walking pile of problems with less redeeming features than Geralt and more filthy and common.

Sounds like you'd fit right in. Youre welcome to make a character. Ill find a way to incorporate you it might not be for a while. But I welcome you to come play as npcs until the mean time.

Wanna be a bad guy til there's a place convenient in playing your witcher?