Transition from D&D - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Transition from D&D

Transition from D&D

I've been playing D&D for 40 years. Most of my experience is AD&D, 3.5, and 5e. I'm always more interested in the role than the mechanics. As I get ready for my first time playing Pathfinder, I'm up for any advice anyone has. Thanks in advance!

Pathfinder has a lot of content, so be careful. I always point newbies to the Pathfinder Reference Document as a starting point, as everything is organized by book and only has the core books. Stick to the Core Rulebook for now, unless you're really gungho and a fast learner.
Otherwise, it's fairly similar to 3.5. It shouldn't take too long to get the hang of it with your history of D&D.

Don't assume you know how something works. Even if you see "Oh it's Power Attack, I've been using Power Attack for fifteen years" read the damn rules all the way! Stuff changes and sometimes you find out you've been misremembering it the whole time anyway.

Yeah, Pathfinder didn't make very many big changes, but they made a lot of little changes which can easily catch you out. Unfortunately, this makes it quite hard to give advice on; one can't really summarise the key differences quickly.

If you understand DnD 3.5 rules, you'll understand Pathfinder easily. There are a lot of little changes, but all of them are basically continuations, edits and cleaning up of existing 3.5 rules. So picking them up is quite easy.

as other have said, the best thing to do is read the SRD.

You probably don't have to read the description of every class and how iterative attacks work and the description of every skill, but if you're relying on a particular spell or feat for your build don't assume it works how it did in D&D.

Ever think of looking at a less mechanics-heavy system? D&D --> Pathfinder isn't that big a leap

I assume a person only plays Pathfinder because they have to (as in, maybe other people want to play it or it's all their group knows or something) - otherwise why leap from 3.5 at all?

Besides, some people prefer the more mechanics-heavy systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
I assume a person only plays Pathfinder because they have to (as in, maybe other people want to play it or it's all their group knows or something) - otherwise why leap from 3.5 at all?

Besides, some people prefer the more mechanics-heavy systems.
Well it is shiny and new(er). I do not see the appeal. Paizo's modules are good though.

Actually, PF isn't "transitioning from D&D", unless you count the lack of the D&D brand. And you're still going to get plenty of rules, too!
Either way, just have fun, but at least at first, keep checking and if need be, rechecking the rules!