A List of Passive Defences? - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

A List of Passive Defences?

There are a whole bunch of reroll effects (Pride domain, Mantle of Second Chances, etc). There are also "roll twice" abilities (Choose Destiny) which, as well as giving you a higher average on saving throws, help protect from nat 1s.

The list is... pretty long.

Horizon Walker can get you immunity to fatigue, immunity to negative alignment-based effects, and a lot of other goodies...

I'm quite fond of the spell Sheltered Vitality for immunity to ability damage and ability drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithamar View Post
I'm quite fond of the spell Sheltered Vitality for immunity to ability damage and ability drain.
Oooh, shiny...

Hmm, with regards to 'complete immunity to so-and-so' spells, can anyone think of a better defence against Dispel Magic and all its derivatives than a Ring of Counterspells? And just plain having a high caster level?

Ring of Enduring Arcana gives you +4 vs. dispel attempts, which is always nice.

Spellblade weapon enhancement from Magic of Faerun makes you immune to 1 specific targeted spell while you're wielding it. Won't help against area dispel magic, but the targeted version will be stopped.

A few Prestige Classes and I think just one base class granted a Fortitude and/or Will-based version of Evasion which was called Mettle (of Fortitude/Will). The Void Disciple, originally from 3e's Oriental Adventures and later updated in one of the Complete series, is a good example. I'll see if I can't dig any of the others up.

I've never really been sure about Spellblades. The way it's written it sounds like it only works once, full stop (it says "When the wielder is next subjected to the chosen spell..." which is really weird). Either way, it's definitely a defensive option; it's simply immunity to a specific spell, but it's notably different to the Spell Immunity spell which doesn't work against everything.

There are several ways to get boosts to CL vs dispels, too (such as Master Abjurer)... I don't think we're planning on listing all of those (I hope)...

planeshifter prestige class from manual of the planes gets planar adaptation, becoming immune to hostile planar effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosHarbinger View Post
A few Prestige Classes and I think just one base class granted a Fortitude and/or Will-based version of Evasion which was called Mettle (of Fortitude/Will). The Void Disciple, originally from 3e's Oriental Adventures and later updated in one of the Complete series, is a good example. I'll see if I can't dig any of the others up.
Cancel that, it was the Void Incarnate Epic Prestige Class from the Epic Insights web series. It seems to be the only thing that gives the Improved Mettle quality for either Fortitude or Will, and I cannot seem to locate anything else right now which just granted the base form.