US Federal Government won't challenge state-level marijuana laws - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

US Federal Government won't challenge state-level marijuana laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolfer View Post
Because everyone would want to move the rules of the game to favor their side, and those on the federal level would clearly try to make it a federal thing, while those in the states would refuse to ratify it , if that comes to pass.

For a change to happen , it has to pass the congress/president circle, then EVERY single state has to vote and I think like 75% has to approve of it. That is why most change happens through the court system rather then ratification.

As for a holy document, I personally believe in something that is called civic religion, which in america is very ingrained, up to and including making the US Constitution almost unquestionable more so then most folks consider their various holy books.
You only really need the states. There are two methods to get amendments proposed and only one of them runs through congress. Secondly, the president is never involved in the process of generating amendments. At least officially.

Quote:
That is why most change happens through the court system rather then ratification.
Through court system... Except of using this way out of practical reasons, isn't it effectively undermining separation of powers? I mean job of legislature is being done instead by judicature.

Quote:
As for a holy document, I personally believe in something that is called civic religion, which in america is very ingrained, up to and including making the US Constitution almost unquestionable more so then most folks consider their various holy books.
OK, so I would treat problem carefully and would try to refrain from something like "Could you please at least ask your prophets to be more precise?"

Lamech:
Thanks for info. At least in theory it sounds workable.

It would be an overstatement to say that Americans regard the Constitution as something unquestionable. There have been 27 amendments to it over the last two hundred plus years. Its just very difficult so that knee jerk reactions don't corrupt its intent. At least that's the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
It would be an overstatement to say that Americans regard the Constitution as something unquestionable. There have been 27 amendments to it over the last two hundred plus years. Its just very difficult so that knee jerk reactions don't corrupt its intent. At least that's the idea.
Unfortunately, it's also structured specifically to allow this kind of gridlock. It's designed that way to keep a single person or small group of people the ability to pass any law they wanted; unfortunately, it has the side effect of allowing a single person or small group of people to prevent any law from being passed.

Sometimes its an advantage to force people to be convincing if they want things to change. Sometimes its not.

Yeah, when you have a group of people who's sole aim appears to be to gum up the works, well... nothing happens. They can't hold on long, though, because eventually things HAVE to happen, and they get voted out. The question is: how long until then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
The question is: how long until then?
Alternatively, 'How much damage will they be allowed to cause in the meantime?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroak View Post
The thing is, federal laws restricting sale or use of substances are based on their ability to regulate interstate trade- if it is produced and consumed in the same state and it is legal in that state the federal government has no legal ground. Now it is illegal to say ship marijuana from Oregan (where it is legal with a prescription) to Washington (where it is legal to use recreationally) , even though there are no states in between where it is illegal, because that *is* federal jurisdiction.
Where you from, boy? Here in Oregon we don't take kindly to vowel substitutions, even if it's phonetically correct. Don't make me get my bat. Yeehaw!