GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Help Building a Beer n Pretzels Campaign

The best idea I can come up with is to try to tie in a story feat and character goals to whatever aspect of the game they do like. For example, if killing monsters is their thing, story feats and goals related to monster killing can work.

Example goal: Kill the Ogre King
Example story feat: Because ogres killed your family, you get +2 attack against ogres.

On the other hand, if they really like solving puzzles and uncovering traps, you could do something more like...

Example goal: Conquer the impossible maze
Example story feat: +5 on searching for clues to solve puzzles because of your character's life time of solving puzzles since childhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemonger View Post
The best idea I can come up with is to try to tie in a story feat and character goals to whatever aspect of the game they do like. For example, if killing monsters is their thing, story feats and goals related to monster killing can work.

Example goal: Kill the Ogre King
Example story feat: Because ogres killed your family, you get +2 attack against ogres.

On the other hand, if they really like solving puzzles and uncovering traps, you could do something more like...

Example goal: Conquer the impossible maze
Example story feat: +5 on searching for clues to solve puzzles because of your character's life time of solving puzzles since childhood
That could work. May require a bit more creativity than usual from them to help flesh it out, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazaki View Post
I might be able to use the princess cliché to some effect, but not as a significant reoccurring NPC. Chances of it, one of my players (likely my wife) will kill her off if she continues to be a problem. Although I might be able to twist things around to make this interesting...
Two easy twists:

Revenant Princess. That way, killing her off can become a recurring joke, but she can still show up at the top and end of each session to provide exposition.

Genderflip: Irresponsible Prince. Maybe the PCs will become interested in helping the perpetual bro to grow up. Or they will ransom/kill him off. In that event, see Revenant Princess.

Regarding the princess, if you ever get a chance to read the Hackmaster spoofs of TSR modules B1 and B2, give them a read. The "princess" is a one girl wrecking crew for relationships, leaving a wake of wreckage just ahead of the heroes following her footsteps. It could be amusing to include something like that. The players never actually encounter her, they just come across old diary entries, broken people, etc. that she leaves behind.