General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

This week in video games...

I recently installed the first game. I've found it really hard to play using my keyboard and tried unsuccessfully to install my PS3 controller drivers, etc so that I could play it with a proper controller.

Eventually I'll give it another shot, however, trying to find the tab button and the shift button (or whatever random hotkey button I'm supposed to be using) with my pinky while also trying to aim, attack, etc is nothing less than frustrating. I feel like it definitely requires a console controller, much in the way I used to feel that certain games require a mouse (remember trying to play Sim City on a console?!!?).

Yeah that sounds like a nightmare to play with a keyboard. I made a point of learning DS4Windows and nabbing a DualShock 4 when it was on a decent sale so I never had to worry about that sort of thing.

Edit: I'm not sure how they are now, but I will say this: a few years ago before the DS4 was my preferred PC controller, I picked up one of those wonky-looking RockCandy XBox controllers and was surprised to find it... not complete garbage. For $20 and a third party controller at that. Maybe give those a look for an XInput solution?

As for a Steam Sale, at least according to When Is The Next Steam Sale, the next one should be in 17 days.. ish. They're expecting one around Halloween.

Let me clarify: I was not wondering when the next Steam Sale was - between Halloween and Black Friday it's a safe bet one is coming up in the next month or two - but I was wondering when Shadow of Wordor would be getting a good sale. =p

Ah, well that is rather hard to predict, it's a new game, a AAA title, and a popular one. They have no reason to cut the price until at least the Christmas sale. Though it could be a 6 months to 1 year before we see any sort of price drop or decent sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SConstance View Post
Ah, well that is rather hard to predict, it's a new game, a AAA title, and a popular one. They have no reason to cut the price until at least the Christmas sale. Though it could be a 6 months to 1 year before we see any sort of price drop or decent sale.
Given that this is how long it usually takes for AAA titles to patch all the bugs, balance things properly and combine all DLC's into a gold edition you can pick up all together I feel its how long you should wait anyway.

So Cuphead has native Dual Shock 4 support. All you need to do is connect your controller via Bluetooth or just a micro-USB cord.

Also... CUPHEAD. This game is ferociously fun but I am crushing it. Perhaps Salt and Sanctuary and Ori and the Blind Forest did a great job of priming me for tight controls and punishing combat/platforming segments. But boots to those airplane stages. I didn't sign up for R-Type or Gradius!

Still, 4 star game but... and I quote "such a blunder. Sometimes it makes me wonder, why I even bring the thunder." It could be so much more. The sequel is a day 1 buy!

In fairness, Gunstar Heroes isn't that long of a game either, and Cuphead is basically that, only with an aesthetic so striking and well-executed I've seen it praised in circles you wouldn't expect vidya gaemz to come up in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeswalker817 View Post
Cuphead is basically that, only with an aesthetic so striking and well-executed
I was surprised and impressed when I saw some Cuphead gameplay for the first time. It looks amazing!

Ohhh I take it all back. The difficulty spiked super hard in world 3. It was a fun, 'learn the boss then execute,' game until now. Now it's 'every fight makes you sweat and your knuckles turn white and your cheeks clench.' It's still a fair difficulty but it is reaching Bullet Hell levels at time, where the amount of safe area on a screen is drastically smaller than the 'die instantly' area.